This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twit in the cellphone store

I really hate it when someone tries (or I think they do) to pull a fast one on me. My cell phone contract is up, and as such, if i renew, I get a certain amount towards a new phone...every two years...I'm cheap, and don't use my phone much, so I never get one that I have to pay any extra for.

This is the third time I've done this, each time my contract expires, I go in, choose my phone, renew with the same cheap plan that's no longer offered, get my phone, and go on my merry way. Today was no different, was in and out in 15 minutes as I had already researched, and knew what phone I wanted.

So I get home, and I'm looking over my receipt, and under "selected features" I see, that for an ADDITIONAL $15 a month, I apparently now have the service that allows you to download music and videos, and play them on your phone.

Um...never asked for this, NOR was it ever mentioned. So I call customer service, and explain, and they take it off, and also tell me that the first month is free, then you're charged - ok, but the twit helping me never even metnioned it, at all, or asked if I was interested! Now, he may have forgotten, but I hate to say it, I;m betting he though he could sneak it in, and I wouldn't notice until I started getting charged....

Little does he know that i read everything, and yes, I should have read it before I signed and left, but he stuffed the reciepts in the bag, and since no mention was made of it, just that I was extending my contract by 2 years, at the same rate and for the same plan, no reason to think anything was amiss.

All's well that ends well, but I hate the fact that no matter what you do, or where you go, you have to scrutinize EVERYTHING as I always seem to find errors and such...drives me nuts!

He was obviously scamming an upsell out of you. Personally, I'd complain.

Not only is he attempting to cheat customers who don't pay attention to their bills and receipts, but he's also doing a disservice to the company by "selling" features people don't want and will eventually call in and cancel, usually taking up a bunch of customer service time, and possibly also getting refunds, depending on how far down the road they notice the service.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I recently noticed an over charge on one of my reciepts, too.
      Turns out the cashier scanned the same item twice and I just didn't notice.
      I really didn't feel like going back once I noticed because:
      a) It was at least a week later
      b) The double-scanned item was a box of condoms
      c) I don't know which would have been worse, trying to explain that I didn't really buy two boxes, or admitting to the fact that I hadn't even cracked open the one I had yet.

Comment

Does your phone company have a name beginning with S and a yellow logo?

I must say, while the yellow logo company's phone reps have been absolutely wonderful CSRs, I've yet to have a good experience in one of the stores. Either I get lied to about whether my phone plan qualifies for a rebate or whether my two-year contract was actually renewed, or they fail to do what they promised to do in applying certain employment-related discounts or competently transferring an account from my name to my hubby's. ::grumble::

But, like I said, the reps on the phone have been nothing but helpful, and are the primary reason Hubby and I are still with this particular provider. That, and the completely free camera phone they offered me back in April out of the blue. ^_^
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

No, mine is the one that's constantly asking "Can you hear me now?" - I barely use my phone; my plan is for 300 mins a month, and if i crack 100, that's a lot! So i got in every couple of years, get my new, free phone, and that's it. The CSRs are great as well; it took me less than 5 minutes to get through and remove the feature.

Its honestly not worth complaining about; I like my new phone (MOTOKRZR fire) and CS removed that feature for me...I went to the store near my office, so unless i go today or tomororw, for me, it isn't worth it. I did mention to the CSR that he never even mentioned this feature, or that it was free, or he was putting it on my phone. My guess is it COMES with it, and its up to the customer to ask to have it removed, but one has to know about it to ask!

That's the only issue I've ever had with said company, and I've been with them for almost 15 years...and my friends laugh when I read the fine print and check everything....hahahahaha

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
            So I get home, and I'm looking over my receipt, and under "selected features" I see, that for an ADDITIONAL $15 a month, I apparently now have the service that allows you to download music and videos, and play them on your phone.

Um...never asked for this, NOR was it ever mentioned. So I call customer service, and explain, and they take it off, and also tell me that the first month is free, then you're charged - ok, but the twit helping me never even metnioned it, at all, or asked if I was interested!

yep I apologise on behalf of our store reps(I work customer service for your cell provider)-they do that to just about everyone, not just you, And I usually get to deal with the fallout from it-we issue many many credits daily for this(I have a cut and paste template for the credits, seriously it happens that often)-and usually no questions asked-because we know our store reps do this, make sure they also didn't hit you with the "free month of unlimited Broadband service" on your phone-that runs $59.99 after the free month.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Oh yes, I have dealt with this issue as well with a certain phone company we contract for...

The company offers two types of prepaid---the kind you set up a debit/credit card on for a monthly charge, and the kind you just add minutes whenever you like and don't need to set up a monthly charge. Guess which one gets the store reps a bigger commission?

Yeah. I get that call several times a week.
              Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                yep I apologise on behalf of our store reps(I work customer service for your cell provider)-they do that to just about everyone, not just you, And I usually get to deal with the fallout from it-we issue many many credits daily for this(I have a cut and paste template for the credits, seriously it happens that often)-and usually no questions asked-because we know our store reps do this, make sure they also didn't hit you with the "free month of unlimited Broadband service" on your phone-that runs $59.99 after the free month.
                No problem; I just wonder how many people don't notice until they've been charged for it! You guys are are great; i've had to call a couple times for various questions, and have always gotten a straight answer, no BS, and they've done whatever I've needed on my account....interesting to know they do this all the time! I'll have to warn my friends whose contracts are up soon; check everything!

I did check; nope, no free month of unlimited broadband...i'm the kind of customer they don't like; barely use my phone, only want my upgrade without having to pay (after the rebate), and don't want/use or need any of the additional "fancy" features...and I keep renewing at my 34.99 plan....which isn't even offered anymore!

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  If it happens that often, I would not be particularly surprised were there to be a class action regarding it.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    If it happens that often, I would not be particularly surprised were there to be a class action regarding it.

^-.-^
                    Actually if you check the fine print of your contract, it specifically states that by signing it, you are WAIVING your right to a class action lawsuit.

However, these clauses have been challenged in courts successfully.

It's called "cramming" and it does happen all the time. The reason is the reps get a nice little commission for adding that $15 data pack or text messaging option on your account and stores track how many commissions their reps make. Fall below your quota and you could be facing a pink slip. I've been told (and I work for a cell provider mentioned in this thread) that turnover at our retail stores is HIGHER than turnover at our call center because the reps are driven so hard to make their sales goals.

They commonly add the "don't worry, it's free" line when it's usually only the FIRST month that's free. Just another trick to get you to sign on. I've also heard of reps who say stuff like "you can get this plan for $5 cheaper every month if you add a text messaging/data package with it today".

Which of course leaves hapless CSRs like me to clean up the mess when the customer calls in complaining he didn't get his $5 off. He can try and go back to the store, but commonly stores will wash their hands of it and say "we don't handle billing issues, call CS". It's a rather convenient way for them to screw people and get away with it.

Comment

I'm so happy to say that the nice and friendly reps at the T-Mobile store I went to were quite decent about when my brother and I came in to get our plans set up. They made the offers for all the spiffy stuff, but when it came time to sign, they did no more than give us exactly the plans that we wanted.

Same thing when I replaced/upgraded my phone earlier this year and added Nekojin to the plan. It was a mall kiosk this time, and the rep that handled everything even kept all the paperwork and the phones (mine was the last T-Mobile hot pink RAZR in stock) at the kiosk while we were at the movies.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                      X