This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irony, the sweet total Irony

I was Patrolling my patch the other day when I started chatting to a little old lady in one of our many parks and gardens in the town. She was getting concerned about the levels of litter and graffiti in the area and the general safety, I was doing my level best to reassure her, but she was hell bent on blaming it on 'all those immigrants'. At this point I just disengaged my brain to prevent any further damage, why I hear you ask? She was German. So she was infact, herself an immigrant who had made the move to live in another country, so she was infact blaming herself (if you want to be pedantic like myself).

So not only was she a bigoted old lady, she was also rather stupid about it as well (yes I know all bigotry is stupid, but please humour me, it 23:19 and I've been dealing with builders all day)
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

That's sad.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Wow. There are all sorts of places I could go about her being bigoted AND German, but I think I'm just going to slowly back away from that pile of gasoline soaked explosives...

Comment

But naturally, the amount of time since you or your ancestors immigrated makes all the difference.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          But naturally, the amount of time since you or your ancestors immigrated makes all the difference.
          Mine came to the U.S. in 1992, it was the first time I got to ride an airplane.

What? It's better than those smelly boats.... well the ride was shorter and I was 6 so economy seats were still comfortable.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Quoth Soulstealer View Post
            Mine came to the U.S. in 1992, it was the first time I got to ride an airplane.

What? It's better than those smelly boats.... well the ride was shorter and I was 6 so economy seats were still comfortable.
            Most of mine came over in smelly boats. Wind-powered smelly boats. But I don't think I'm better than my airplane-arrived immigrant friends. Or my short-walk-across-a-line immigrant friends. Or my ancestors-involuntarily-immigrated friends. Or my ancestors-said-"there-goes-the-neighborhood" non-immigrant friends and adopted brother.

No, I tell a lie. I think I'm better than my brother. But that has nothing to do with his ancestory.

Comment

*Spiffy puts on the mod hat*

For the sake of my sanity and what's left of my hair, can we please not turn this into either an immigrant-bashing thread OR an anti-immigration policy thread? This has been a polite thread so far, it would be a pity for that to change now.

*Spiffy takes off the mod hat and goes back to checking out teh interwebs.*
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                That's sad.
                I think the saddest part is she doesn't even realise what she is saying, and I'm sure if I'd pointed out her interesting take on the situation and where she fits within it she would be incredibly annoyed.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

All I'll say is it really puts a unique spin on the current immigration debate when I think of the stories my dad told about his grandmother who came to the US to escape the Potato Famine in Ireland. To learn that it was once accepted practice to discriminate against the ethnic group I'm a part of (No Irish Need Apply was commonly seen in classified ads, and the predominant stereotype was the lazy drunken Irishman) kind of changes your view on things. We were basically the Mexicans of the 19th century, except that the Irish were prevented from working rather than given menial jobs.

You hear the phrase "there but for the Grace go I" but seeing it in practice is a bit odd.
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                  X