This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the computer - now what?

So, after buying a whole new headset, I discovered that it's not Skype that's screwing me over. I tried recording myself on the new headset, and what do you know, it doesn't work. I've tested the connections, I've looked at the sound settings. I don't know what it is - I know I haven't changed anything in a long time, but for some reason, it's just not working.

What could I have done to screw up the microphone workings?

Just bear with me, as I want to eliminate the easiest fix first. Go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices. Under the Volume tab (which should be the default) in the area for device volume, press the Advanced button. Up should pop up a window for your individual device volume controls. For the microphone in this new window, look to see if the mute box is checked.

I know it sounds simple, but humor me please.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

One purchase of a new headset later, and I've fixed it. None of the "Mute" boxes were checked, but some other feature had been turned on or off - I don't remember just which one it was - and after fiddling around and making various recordings to test the microphone, it works.

Now I have TWO headsets. Oh, goody.

Thanks, lordlundar, for your help, and don't worry that I would have found your advice trivial. You were right; it was in the settings.

Comment

Working...
      X