Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember that show. See the one where he almost got arrested by a off duty k9 cop while she was walking said k9?

That episode rocked.

Comment

I lived in a share house many years ago with 4 housemates. There were always unfamiliar people coming and going at all hours. I made sure to keep the door to my room locked at all times to stop people wandering in.

I remember once coming home from a weekend at my mum's to find a strange couple sleeping in on a matress in our lounge room. Apparently, my walking around them to get to my room woke them and they then proceeded to yell at me for waking them up. (mind you this was around 4pm in the afternoon)

I politely inquired as to who they were and what they were doing there (all my roomates were out at the time) they claimed they were told they could sleep there by "X". I informed them that no one by that name lived there and they had 60 seconds to leave before I called the cops. It turned out one of my roomates had told them it was ok to stay, but failed to call me or leave a note on the communal white board we had for just such a thing.

After 6 months I decided living on my own was a better option.
      "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
      "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
      "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
        I started keeping my doors locked a LOOOOOONG time ago.

My house was on a cul-de-sac in a good neighborhood in a small Midwestern town. No reason to lock my doors, right? At least not until I was ready to retire for the night. Right?

Until the evening I headed from the sewing room into the kitchen for a snack, and found a small blond boy peeing in my bathroom. A small blond boy I didn't know . . .

At least it wasn't a big blond boy with a knife, but I lock my doors now.
        At least he was using the bathroom.
        "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Unlocked doors are a BAD idea even in good neighborhoods. Case in point:

A year or so ago, in a nearby upscale suburb, a guy who was partying at a friend's house went out for some air and ended up going into a sleeping neighbor's house. The guy was so drunk it never dawned on him that he was at the wrong house even though he had to climb over a fence to get to the back door, which unfortunately was unlocked. Long story short, the homeowner ended up shooting him because the drunk guy kept coming toward him & didn't identify himself. It was a horrible, sad story, and locking the door would have prevented it (so would not getting hammered, but that's another thread).
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Had that happen once, though it wasn't a stranger. While my boyfriend was back home in Pakistan over the summer, I was working. 8 hour day working on the highways in the sun, since the ass-crack of dawn, I would be tired when I arrived home and would eventually take a nap. We keep our door closed at all times when we're in there, and have a hardcore knocking policy. I was halfway between sleep and wakefulness when one of our douchebag roommate's douchbag friends snuck in. I say snuck because the light was off, he opened the door real slow so it wouldn't creek and he was tip toeing across the floor. Our bed is blocked by the extended wall that is our closet, so he couldn't see me awake. Now, it's summer, we hadn't installed the window air conditioners yet, so it's hot and I'm.....not really in much clothes....but i had a quilt over me, but still. I clicked the bedside lamp on and he just froze.

Me: what the fuck are doing in here?
            Him: Well *douche roomie* said I could come in here and get the charging cable for the PS3 so I can charge my phone.
            Me: Ok, for one, this isn't his room, so he has no authority to give you permission to use *my bf's* cable or anything else. Second, I am in here, sleeping. It's called knocking fuck face, learn it! Now get the hell out of my room!
            He left, but reluctantly.

Told my bf about it on the phone the next day and he was truly pissed. When he got home, he chewed both their asses out and that friend never came back unless douchie roommate was there to "protect" him. I locked the door every time I was in there, during the day, night, and even when I went to work, just in case they were taking stuff out while I was gone. I hate it when people burst in without knocking. It's rude and you may see things that will never be unseen, believe me...
            Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

We always keep the front door locked, we live on a busy road without a front fence and our eldest daughter can reach the doorknob (but not the deadlock).

Once, I had a well dressed older man hammer on the door and then demand in a condescending tone to speak to someone that had never lived at our house. He quoted my street address and some person's full name at me like I was a small child, and did not appreciate being told "Thanks, I do know my own address. It has always been owned by this family. We do not know that person and they have never lived here." Finally he tried to push past me while I was trying to close the door and he saw Danny, who was sitting patiently behind me. All it took was one small growl from a half-grown weimaraner pup to convince this bloke that he wasn't going to get anywhere and that his best option was to leave immediately. Tore off in an expensive car (I couldn't get the numberplate) and we've never seen or heard from him again.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I must say..somebody walks in on me I would pounce to my feet, but be willing to let it go. If somebody is trying to push past a loved one, there would be no willing to let it go. They would be exiting the door one way or another. I never worry about myself, but when it comes to those I care about..I don't take chances.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

as a delivery driver I am shill shocked at the number of times I knock on a door to make a delivery (and this is NOT knocking hard or banging on the door with my flashlight or the police "search warrant" type pounding) and the door just slowly creeks open.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I keep my door locked when I'm home, and my neck of the woods is safe. Except that 1 murder last year down the street. Other than that....nuttin' happens.

Then again, a locked door didn't help in college when a drunk broke in (he had the wrong room, and ran away. Our RA did nothing about it and I'm pretty sure we were fined for the whole in the wall from the door handle. My college sucked)
                    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                    X