This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    At 16, I was a lifeguard at a summer camp covering both an olympic-size pool and the boating lake. I had to make two saves that year*,
    Fortitude, Reflex or Will?
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
      Will, but I think the other one's name was George.

Honestly, it was more like a save vs. paralysis--tired swimmers, and we were all playing first edition back then.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

18 is too young for a job? Please. I had a paper route in elementary school (Mom supervised), started working for my mom in a law firm summer after 6th grade up until the summer after 10th grade. Within a month of starting college I had a job at a test prep company and picked up a retail job on top of that at the beginning of my third year of college. The longest I have gone without having a job was two years during my junior and senior years of high school and that was because I had no transportation to get to a job.

I really hate meeting people like those girls - and man do I meet a lot of them here on campus. They always seem to complain about how their parents never give them enough money but think they are above getting a job.

Comment

My first "real" job was about three days after high school graduation, working at Walmart over the summer to save up some extra cash for college. Before that, I babysat on a relatively regular basis and helped my mom clean a friend's very nice house once a week for cash. My parents covered my first semester at college so I could get used to things and get settled in, but by the second semester I had to work to pay my own rent. Right now I'm taking full-time "employment" as a stay-at-home-mom, which is a job and a half sometimes, while getting to do art on the side (yay!). If I'd been there to hear those girls, I wouldn't have been able to get away before busting a gut laughing at them.

Quoth Canarr View Post
          Thanks for the giggle, Canarr.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Will, but I think the other one's name was George.

Honestly, it was more like a save vs. paralysis--tired swimmers, and we were all playing first edition back then.
            Good one Ah, the old D&D rules; I remember them well...

@Kogarashi: my pleasure.

My first job was distributing flyers for a grocery store in our town; I was 10 or so when I started. From the time I was 12 well into my early twenties, I worked weekends at my parents' hotel and restaurant, did a few Christmas seasons at various department stores, and worked throughout college (though that was comparatively mild, and I'd started cutting back on the work at my parents' place).

So, yeah; no sympathies from me for little princess here.
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Not counting working on a farm (and if you have ever worked on a farm..there is no way you'd not call it a real job), odd jobs (mowing yards, etc), my first 'real' and 'steady' job was at 14. Cleaned the pens (etc) at the fair grounds
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I got my first part time job when I was 16 at a movie theater (worst job ever). At 14 I was babysitting for a couple of our neighbors. I enjoyed having money to myself and I found it fair that I needed to pay for my own gas and car insurance.

At my job we usually hire teenagers to be kennel attendants (cleaning after the animals, cleaning the building up towards close). When we are hiring for that position we have to actually make it clear on our application that the job has a high "ewwww factor" and that it isn't playing with animals. We've had people who applied thinking that all they would be doing is playing with the puppies and kittens. The K.A we have right now are awesome though and do their job well.

Comment

Working...
                X