This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post

One girl actually thought you COULD drive to Europe from the States. <twitch>
    Well in theory you 'could' drive from the states to europe, it would just be a little chilly thats all.

Stay Safe
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      Well in theory you 'could' drive from the states to europe, it would just be a little chilly thats all.
      Didn't they do something like that in The Great Race?

I know I have a southern California accent. But when I get tired (and for no discernible reason) I tend to drop into a southern drawl. I have no explanation, since I've lived in California my entire life.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I pretty much have the TV American accent, but sometimes my roots in Baltimore show through. I can't count the number of times I was on vacation with my parents and someone asked where we were from, only for my dad to go, "Bawlamer, Merlin." XD Had to repeat it slower every time.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
          Nobody thinks they have an accent, because everybody from that area has the same accent so you all sound normal to each other.
          Not exactly. I was raised by a 3rd generation english teacher in Oklahoma. Not only do I know the common accent around here, but after living on the west coast, and in Illinois, I am quite sure (have been told many times) that I do not have an accent. Of course, I always have to fight myself about correcting every little thing people type/say, but I'm getting better... these days I usually win...
          If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth DeeSandwichArtist View Post
            First thing is first.
            First, Welcome!

SC: (rather rudely) Whats you native language, cause you should really go back to whatever country they speak it in.
            Was there a reason this ... 'person' ... felt you should go back where you came from?

ME: (trying to still be civil) Its English actually, I'm from Pennsylvania.
            SC: Where in Europe is that.
            ME: Its south of New York actually.
            SC: Oh. Thats in America right?
            ME: Yeah....Have a good day.
            :head asplodey:
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth DeeSandwichArtist View Post
              SC: (rather rudely) Whats you native language, cause you should really go back to whatever country they speak it in.
              ME: (trying to still be civil) Its English actually, I'm from Pennsylvania.
              SC: Where in Europe is that.
              ME: Its south of New York actually.
              SC: Oh. Thats in America right?
              Ouch. Just reading that made my brain curdle. I can only imagine what it was like dealing with the moron.
              Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              I *hate* people that stupid, as they're never the ones that they hurt with their idiocy.
              Indeed. Stupidity is extremely painful, but not to the stupid ones themselves. They go about babbling whatever pops into their miniscule brains, blissfully unaware that everyone within earshot has developed a massive migraine.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                Since when does somebody from Pennsylvania have an accent? I've lived in Pennsylvania most of my life & I don't have an accent. Hell, I'm full blooded Puerto Rican with no accent either...lol.
                Actually in some part of Penn they have an appalacia accent. I know because I grew up just on the Ohio side of Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia border. When I moved away from that area in High School everyone asked if I was from the south. The appalachia accent sounds similar to the southern accent in some ways. Until that time I never realized I had an accent. It's pretty much gone now except for a couple of linguistic quirks that I can't seem to get rid of, like occasionally using the word "alls" It only happens when I'm excited and speaking quickly but damn I feel like a hillbilly every time I hear that come out of my mouth.
                You mess with me, you dance in the dark!

Comment

1: Welcome to the boards
                  2: Maybe with your /thick/ accent, the idiot thought you said Transylvania over Pennsylvania? I know I made that mistake when I was four.
                  3: People have told me that portlander's have a accent, though for the life of me I don't see how o_O. Maybe it's because we say Oregonian correctly.
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth KnitShoni View Post
                    I really need to stop reading these stories. My IQ is dropping quickly.
                    Funny - I find myself feeling extremely smart after reading stories like this!
                    Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Ghostlightkeeper View Post
                      Actually in some part of Penn they have an appalacia accent. I know because I grew up just on the Ohio side of Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia border.
                      That shows up in rural SW PA too. Usually, it gets treated with ridicule. I have a slight "Pittsburgese" accent, and I'm damn proud of it However, I'm nowhere near as bad as sports announcer Myron Cope. (If you've ever heard him, you know what I mean!)
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        Was there a reason this ... 'person' ... felt you should go back where you came from?
                        It actually really weird. I say onion like it has a g in it ongion don't no why just always have, he felt I should have said onion.

Comment

Working...
                        X