Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back when I was a follower of the Grateful Dead, there were quite a few panhandlers who made their way on tour by asking for money. However, quite a few of them came up with some pretty creative stories. The only one I can remember at the moment is a girl who was selling land on the moon. Her pitch was so creative, my friend gave her a few dollars and since he gave her more than most people do, she gave him a plot of land right on the edge of a crater with a great view that looks over the lake that used to be there.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I've been known to give food, drink or even a cig to a desperate soul on the streets, but I ain't giving out money. Partly this is because I, too, rarely carry cash, and partly it's because I'm jaded, distrustful, and a wee bit paranoid of exposing my wallet around complete strangers on the street.

Back to the OP's post, seriously? Who does that?
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I just loved it when a classmate would come up to me and ask for a ride home from class.
        RJ: "Where the hell do you live?"
        CM: "Not for me, for other classmate."
        RJ: "And other classmate doesn't have the balls to ask me himself?"
        CM: "..."
        RJ: "Right, that's what I thought. Amongst other things, No, I have no direction sense, so unless you're going somewhere I know how to reach, I'll get lost going there, and most likely lost on my way out. Secondly, I have almost no gas in the car."

Of course, when an entirely different classmate and I started sticking around after classes to work on odd side projects, I'd more than willingly drive him and I down the street to grab food. Sometimes he paid me back in money, others in food or two liter sodas, or just texturing the character I'd modelled but didn't feel like UV unwrapping.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

My cousin doesn't have a license so catches buses a lot. She always gets asked for money for the bus and always has spare bus tickets she offers them instead. They never seem to want to take it....

Comment

Oh, I love panhandlers. I love telling them I'll be more than happy to bring them food. And, I'm telling the truth when I say that I have no cash... why the hell would I pay cash when my mastercard is accepted everywhere and I get a cashback reward for using it... why the hell would I use cash.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
              There is a regular around here, who panhandles for train money inside the subway station ON THE PLATFORM!!! At this particular station, the only way to get onto the platform is to go through the fare collection turnstiles.
              I may have been approached by that guy...was it at Park Street by any chance?
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                I may have been approached by that guy...was it at Park Street by any chance?
                I see him at Downtown Crossing, but seeing as how the 2 stations are linked internally, it probably is the same guy.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                X