This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My annual delightful torture

I love working the Halloween season. Really, I do. It's the Gothling in me. I love doing the haunted houses and am willing to drive two hours and camp over the weekend, then schlepp back for school, to work at the one that hired me first.

But even the most beloved jobs have their SCs.

The start of it all (as remember from my LJ post)

My first job, and the one I'm returning to, was as crowd control for the cornfield walk. I had already witnessed a furious Loudoun County fire marshall reaming us out for having too many people go at once. So I came up with a character (Agent Sophia Cole of the Bureau of Supernatural Conservation and Law Enforcement), gave a little safety speech, and made sure the groups stayed small and evenly spaced.

We had a family working there, a mother, father, and their two daughters, then nine and six. The littlest one was a cherubic little thing with champagne blond hair, big blue eyes and a near-perpetual smile. Her mother, a Goth-mommy I would have been proud to call mine, put her in her father's flannel shirt, overalls and boots and gave her dead makeup. The child was then placed in the cornfield to do the Children of the Corn routine. Her father was setup nearby with a radio and camo to shake a few cornstalks.

Around 9 pm, I sent a group of frat boys through. A couple are drunk and one made a pass at me, while the other tried desperately to get me to break character with a high five. They were at the back of the line so I had a few minutes to sit and drink my tea.

Goth-mommy comes hurtling down the path in a rage about fifteen minutes later. She blasts past me and into the cornfield, coming out another ten minutes later with the six year old. Her makeup is messed up and there is a large footprint on her chest.

The frat boys had freaked out when they saw her, hit her, knocked her down and ran her over. Miraculously, she was only bruised and shaken. But GM, the boss man, MY mother and I were all furious.

"How DARE you try and quiet a crowd over me!"

The size of group I was allowed to send into the field was six, eight at worst. No strollers, though if you had a wheelchair that could make the turns and take the terrain, that was fine. But I had groups of cheerleaders from the local High Schools that wanted to send in 18 with one chaperone. Then along came one yuppie lady with 12 kids with her.

Me: Guess Who?
    YB: Yuppie...woman.

Me: I'm sorry, ma'am. I can't let a group this size go through. You'll have to split up somehow and meet at the other end. It's perfectly safe though!
    YB: *eyeroll* FINE.*turns around to work with her kids*

Now, the line was getting louder and I couldn't hear what the lady was saying, much less my own thoughts. As she turned to me and tried to speak, I realized there was only one way the was going to work.

Me: I NEED EVERYONE TO QUIET DOWN PLEASE!
    YB: EXCUSE ME!
    Me: I'm sorry, ma'am, I--
    YB: I am trying to follow your orders.
    Me: Yes, ma'am, but I--
    YB: What is your problem?

(Cue a two minute stare down)

Me: *Through my teeth* You can send the first group through, ma'am.
    YB: THANK you.

There's more horror stories from the Haunted House, but I can't type and keep my back like this. I'll have more tomorrow.

Quoth TwoScoopsSciath View Post
    Goth-mommy comes hurtling down the path in a rage about fifteen minutes later. She blasts past me and into the cornfield, coming out another ten minutes later with the six year old. Her makeup is messed up and there is a large footprint on her chest.

The frat boys had freaked out when they saw her, hit her, knocked her down and ran her over. Miraculously, she was only bruised and shaken. But GM, the boss man, MY mother and I were all furious.
    And quite rightly, too! Hitting and running over a little girl?! I hope someone caught those bastards and charged them with assault and battery!

If those guys got that freaked over a six-year-old girl in makeup, they should've stayed home and watched Scooby Doo.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Okay, how can you possibly get so freaked out in a haunted house or field to knock down a child in make-up and step on her? I have way too much fun at such activities to get freaked out like that. I might get slightly startled, but I'm usually laughing too much through the whole experience.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

No, you may NOT just walk the house for 10 bucks!

Our first year open, we got stuck on a park that was technically also a private residence. While I can understand not wanting to be roused in the balck of night by a scream and not know whether it's the ball-and-chain or somebody getting their money's worth in the barn, they should have considered the screaming tourists before allowing the park service use of their land after dark. We compromised; the rule was, we shut down exactly at 11:00 and were out by one at least.

Most nights, the owners would get pissy and boot us out at 10:00 and ticket sales never picked up before 9:30. So we were usually forced to start turning people away. Most people were okay with coming back next weekend and a few even insisted on coming to the next one (even with a year's hiatus between the two) But a coupe of them weren't so nice.

Me: You-know-who, half dead and nursing a turned ankle.
        Paris: Bleach blonde sorority bunny from the UVA campus down the road.

Paris: *swishes in, gabbing on her cell phone and ignoring us at first*
        Me: Excuse me, miss?
        Paris: *put-upon sigh* YES?
        Me: Did you lose something?
        Paris: No, I'm trying to find the ticket counter!
        Me: I'm sorry, we're closed for the night, but we'll be open tomorrow night and the weekend after.
        Paris: Are you serious? Oh my god! What's wrong with you people! *stomps away*
        Me: Have a nice night, miss!

This one takes the cake AND the ice cream.

Dingus 1, 2, 3, and 4: High school boys drunk enough and stupid enough to go shirtless in the mountains of Virginia in 40 degree weather.

Dinguses: *stagger up* Hey, are you, like, open?
        Me: Sorry, fellas, it's closing time. But we'll probably be back next year!
        Dingus 1: *lights up* Told you ----ers they were done!
        Dingus 2 & 3: *lights up their own cigarettes*
        Dingus 4: Pay you 10 bucks to let us walk through!
        Me: I'm sorry, but no. We've shut off the lights and there's no one there. The monsters who aren't helping to pack are home and in bed.
        Dingus 2: PLEEEEASE!
        Me: No, and I'll have to ask you to put those out. There's no smoking on park grounds.
        Dingus 3: ...You're hot.
        Me: Good night, boys!
        Dingus 1: C'mon, it's ten bucks! We'll throw in a pack of smokes.
        Me: I'm an asthmatic. Do I have to call over the two Marines on site or will you leave quietly? We've already called the cops once tonight!

I'll tell you the cop story after class.

Comment

Quoth TwoScoopsSciath View Post
          I'll tell you the cop story after class.

*Waiting patiently*

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
            Okay, how can you possibly get so freaked out in a haunted house or field to knock down a child in make-up and step on her? I have way too much fun at such activities to get freaked out like that. I might get slightly startled, but I'm usually laughing too much through the whole experience.
            Pot, or something else similar.

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
              No, drunk will do just fine. As an occasional DD (family history of being taken by the drink easily, I don't tempt fate. Or genetics), and a guy who likes to play with drunks, I can assure you that some idiots do spook easily when really drunk.

My favorite involved an MP3 of a train horn, a six-cell Mag Lite, and screaming, "Train!!" You have to yell train to get them thinking in the right direction. All this took place on a city sidewalk. Drunks can be fun.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I admit that I have an insanely high startle reflex and if something or someone scares me, I tend to react, uh...badly. I very nearly took the throat out of one of my teammates on the way home from a ball game because she thought it would be funny to wake me up by getting in my face and yelling. Yeah, didn't go well...

The excessively simple solution is to NOT go into haunted houses or other places where I have a high chance of flying off the handle. But if by some freak incident something happens and I do accidently wipe out some kid who jumps out and spooks me, I'm sure as hell not going to run from the incident like a bitchy little coward. I'm man enough to admit when I've f'ed up royal. (And amazingly enough, most parents are very understanding when you admit that their child scared you and you just reacted before you realized what was happening...I suspect these folks realize that their kids are being little wenches )
                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                  (And amazingly enough, most parents are very understanding when you admit that their child scared you and you just reacted before you realized what was happening...I suspect these folks realize that their kids are being little wenches )
                  Except in this case, they should have expected things to startle them!
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    Except in this case, they should have expected things to startle them!
                    Right. And one's natural response is to run AWAY from said startling entity, not OVER it. Or her.
                    Current Faith in Humanity Meter:
                    {|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}

Comment

There was a local farm start up a cornfield maze just outside of town. Unfortunately, they closed it down after a bunch of kids opted to start throwing corn at each other and tearing up the pathways. They only had the maze open a few years before the whole thing was shut down. I never even had a chance to go.
                      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                        There was a local farm start up a cornfield maze just outside of town. Unfortunately, they closed it down after a bunch of kids opted to start throwing corn at each other and tearing up the pathways. They only had the maze open a few years before the whole thing was shut down. I never even had a chance to go.
                        All it takes is a handful of idiots to ruin everyone's fun. Some people really need a serious ass-kicking.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

AND NOW...
                          Freddy v. Jason v. the Loudoun Co. Sheriff's Dept.

I'm sitting at my usual post, the entrance to the "Gardens" (a haunted cornfield, complete with chainsaws and evil clowns) and doing serious crowd control when I see a car drive past. I'm thinking, okay, the driver's either too drunk to be driving anywhere, much less on park grounds where cars shouldn't be, or something's gone wrong. Well, I kind of forgot about it until they came past again and I realized the Haywagon was late. So now, I'm thinking, Crap, some yahoo jumped off again, didn't they?

I was half right.

Next thing I see is flashing Old Glory lights and two Loudoun County cop cars in full view. Four officers hop out and hotfoot it up the trail. Now, I have no guests waiting to go in, the corral for the Haywagon is empty and Rik is stomping around, growling. Finally I hear the story. I'd heard of similar things happening and heard people joke about it, but we'd never had to call the sheriff.

It seems "some yahoo" did jump off the wagon...and started a fist fight with one of the actors.

So we suspended ticket sales for fifteen minutes until things cleared up and business resumed as usual.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            My favorite involved an MP3 of a train horn, a six-cell Mag Lite, and screaming, "Train!!" You have to yell train to get them thinking in the right direction. All this took place on a city sidewalk. Drunks can be fun.
                            I love you
                            Marry me.
                            (in a completely non-creepy, psycho cyber stalker way)
                            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Daskinor View Post
                              I wasn't thinking in those terms because drugs are not a vice of choice for me. Beer and cigarettes (don't tell my wife about the smoking, though. she hates that I do it.) are as far as I'm willing to go to have vices. I drink until I'm sleepy, then I go to sleep, and all is well the next day. You're probably right, though. I hate druggies. They might as well scoop their brains out with a teaspoon.

I don't get phased over anything that easily, though. I'm a little jumpy if I'm not expecting someone, but it's a haunted cornfield maze celebrating Halloween for crying out loud! Of course someone is going to sneak up on you! That's part of the fun of such events. What fun would it be if someone wasn't trying to scare the crap out of you for laughs?
                              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X