This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You won a lottery you say?

You folks know me as crazedclerk, I forgot my password and got locked out of my account, so I've created an alter ego of sorts. As a reminder I work in a call center doing support for cell phones.

I got my lovely share of suck this week, but one guy today made my list of personal funniest SC stories ever. Read on!

I say tomato, you hear...fried chicken?

M: What can I do for you today?
    SC: Well my phone is turned off and my balance is $96, but my spending limit is $125, why's my damn phone off?
    M: Well you are correct about the limit, but your phone is turned off because of a past due balance.
    SC: Ok...so my balance is $96, my limit is $125 and my phone is turned off. What doesn't add up here??
    M: The spending limit typically only applies to the current month of service. If you go past due, even by a few dollars, your phone WILL be shut off.
    SC: You F---ing people! Let me go through this again, my limit is $125, it's in my CONTRACT and yet you cut me off for a balance way less than that, WHY???
    M: Sir, the spending limit and past due balance are SEPARATE. Even if you had a $10 000 spending limit and were ONE DOLLAR past due, you would be disconnected (sidenote: I've actually seen a service interruption for, get this: a past due of 0.68. Ouch)
    SC: You people are ripping me off!! I know I haven't paid the damned bill in a few months, but I am still under 125 and you f--king cut me off! I've been in jail dammit, that's why I haven't paid!!
    [i]You? Break the law? I'm shocked since you seem such an intelligent and well-spoken member of society </sarcasm>[i]
    M: Sir a past due balance is a past due balance.
    SC: You going to f--king help me out or not!
    M: One moment sir (as I flag down a team lead)
    SC: G*d**n ripoff artists *CLICK*

What part of this is complicated really? If you don't pay your bill on time we shut you off. SIMPLE. Why do I suspect this guy was jailed for robbery?

I made the mistake, but it's your job to FIX IT!

SC: Well I got a laptop connection card a few months ago, and it works great. Thing is, I got a new laptop last week and now the card won't fit in.
    M: Ok, so what would like to do about it?
    SC: ME? What are YOU going to for me about this?
    M: I'm not too sure what I could do.
    SC: Well, either let me exchange this card for one that works or let me cancel without a termination fee.
    M: We can look into getting you a card that works with your new system, but it's too early on in your contract to give you any kind of rebates, you would have to pay full price for it.
    SC: Well, I don't want to do that, I guess I'll have to cancel it then.
    M: That's fine sir, there will be a termination fee of $200
    SC: Excuse me?
    M: If you cancel you will be charged $200
    SC: Oh hell no I won't! Listen bud, it's not MY fault that the card I got from you people doesn't work in my laptop! The card I have now is completely useless to me but I do NOT expect to pay a a fee if I want to cancel it. How can you charge me for cancelling something I can't use? You should send me out a new one I can use.
    M: Well you can do an exchange within your first 30 days, then you can upgrade at 1 year and again at 2 years. None of these apply to you. I apologize, but there are no deals I can give you.
    SC: I will not be PENALIZED for this! It's not MY FAULT your damned card doesn't work in my computer!
    M: Well actually sir, it is your fault that when shopping for a new computer, you apparently failed to ensure the model you were purchasing was compatible with our card. We are not responsible for that.
    SC: I want to cancel this account and I swear to GOD if you try and charge me even ONE PENNY to cancel, I will have my lawyer on the phone so fast....
    M: Very well sir, I'll transfer you to cancellations.

Congratulations, you've already "won"!

SC: I'm trying to call this number and it won't work! <gives number>
    M: Ah, I see it's an international number, we'll need to enable that in order for you to make the call.
    SC: Aw nuts. I got this notice saying I won a lottery in Britain. $800 000, woo! But it says I have to call this number to claim it!
    ( For those who may be unaware, this is a very common scam. When you call to claim your "winnings", the scammers inform you of a bunch of fees that have to be paid to get your money to you and you'll never see a dime)
    M: It will take a couple of days for this to take effect.
    SC: Darn, I got this yesterday, I don't want to waste time, they say I have to call back within a week to get the money. Damn..$800 Gs, what I'm going to do with that...
    M: (stifled laughter) It'll be a moment while I set that up for you.
    (Now I could have told him he was being scammed, but I'm not obligated to in any shape or form to do so. I figure if you are dumb enough to get taken in by it, you deserve what you get)
    M: Ok it's all set up, give it a day or so and then you should be able to call that number.
    SC: And get my money.
    M: And get your money.
    SC: Nice! Hey thanks a lot buddy!

I had a good long laugh with my Supervisor over that call. Oh if this guy only knew what fate awaited him.

You are not right! You are lying

SC: I've been through so many calls and I've been told my mobile to mobile minutes are billing incorrectly, this needs to be fixed NOW.
    M: Well let me look into this for a moment..(time passes)...Ah, it looks to me like the mobile to mobile minutes are in fact billing correctly, your last bill is high because of overage minutes.
    SC:No, that's wrong. We don't go over our minutes. Look the lady I was just talking to said it was some problem with the mobile to mobile and y'all needed to file a case or something on it.
    M: I understand that's what you were told, but the charges are in fact overage minutes, not mobile to mobile.
    SC: We DON'T go over minutes! Look why are you wasting my time? I've already been told it was mobile to mobile. Can you please fix this.
    M: Ma'am the minutes are NOT mobile to mobile, they are overage.
    SC: That's impossible, you must be looking at that thing wrong.
    (ok, I know the response, but I will humor her anyway)
    M: Just a moment (flag down sup)
    Sup: What's up?
    M: Tell me, is this bill high because of overage minutes?
    Sup: Yep.
    M; Thanks!
    (go back to customer)
    M: Thanks for your patience ma'am, I just reviewed your account with my supervisor and she did confirm the charges are for overage, not mobile to mobile.
    SC: They are mobile to mobile, we don't go over minutes! I was told they were mobile to mobile, it has to be mobile to mobile!
    Mgritting teeth) Ma'am, once again they are OVERAGE, My supervisor said the same thing.
    SC: (in REAL pissed sounding voice) Get me your supervisor

Sup gets on the call, tells lady she doesn't get it, she went over minutes, there will be no credits and off to cancellations we go. After she gets off the call she told me: "Man, that woman is at a whole new level of stupid!". I love my sup

A shocking realization

SC: What are these usage charges on my bill, I didn't use anything!
    (This is common with SCs, despite the mountain of charges they are so frequently buried under, they apparently have never actually used anything we've charged them for..hmmm....)
    M: Looks like you've been charged for some travel minutes
    SC: I didn't travel ANYWHERE. I'm always here.
    M: They were for calls made while in Seattle...
    SC: Ohhhhhhhhhh, I DID go to Seattle!
    (You see, phone companies aren't always trying to screw you, sometimes we do get it right!)
    SC: So my balance is $XX.XX?
    M: Yes, sir.
    SC: Ok, then, that's all for now.

This guy bugged me because he gave me "you screwed something up" tone when he said he didn't use anything and really, if he'd done what normal people do and actually READ THE DAMNED BILL he would have clearly seen the 20 or so calls he made while in Seattle.

Thank god that week is over.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

A lottery win that big in the UK? Only way to claim it is turn up at regional office.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/pl...nfo=howtoclaim
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

Congratulations, you've already "won"!

SC: I'm trying to call this number and it won't work! <gives number>
      M: Ah, I see it's an international number, we'll need to enable that in order for you to make the call.
      SC: Aw nuts. I got this notice saying I won a lottery in Britain. $800 000, woo! But it says I have to call this number to claim it!
      ( For those who may be unaware, this is a very common scam. When you call to claim your "winnings", the scammers inform you of a bunch of fees that have to be paid to get your money to you and you'll never see a dime)
      M: It will take a couple of days for this to take effect.
      SC: Darn, I got this yesterday, I don't want to waste time, they say I have to call back within a week to get the money. Damn..$800 Gs, what I'm going to do with that...
      M: (stifled laughter) It'll be a moment while I set that up for you.
      (Now I could have told him he was being scammed, but I'm not obligated to in any shape or form to do so. I figure if you are dumb enough to get taken in by it, you deserve what you get)
      M: Ok it's all set up, give it a day or so and then you should be able to call that number.
      SC: And get my money.
      M: And get your money.
      SC: Nice! Hey thanks a lot buddy!

I had a good long laugh with my Supervisor over that call. Oh if this guy only knew what fate awaited him.
      Maybe it's just me, but I would have told him about that lotto scam. He didn't really seem to be sucky. I think that going a bit out of your way to help him would have been the right thing to do. These scams exist for a reason, they prey on people that are uninformed, not dumb.
      Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

I would have told the dude about the scam, but then I have a soft spot for stupid people.

Comment

Quoth ladyklack View Post
          Maybe it's just me, but I would have told him about that lotto scam. He didn't really seem to be sucky. I think that going a bit out of your way to help him would have been the right thing to do. These scams exist for a reason, they prey on people that are uninformed, not dumb.
          True, but how do you expect to win a lottery you never entered?
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
            True, but how do you expect to win a lottery you never entered?
            In another country. Oi.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              In another country. Oi.
              And the wrong currency.
              Nice to see people using Britain, I've only recieved Amsterdam and USA lottery letters.

Comment

Quoth ladyklack View Post
                Yeah, I've got to agree that it's a bit sucky on your part to let this guy go on believing that he's won something.

It's not just that the scammers make you pay a bunch of fake fees, but they'll also try to get your bank info, and then run a whole identity theft routine, starting with cleaning out your accounts.

My boss collects Nigerian scam letters. He's got a couple hundred, starting back when they were still faxed out.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My manager is required to warn people about lottery scams. We do MoneyGram here (only the management really deals with it), but if something sounds suspicous, or is going somewhere suspicious, she'll at least educate the customer about the whole lottery scheme thing.
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

After a friend of mine basically didn't listen to me about a scam he was entering, I stopped bothering with people that have $$$$'s on the mind.

My friend sold his time share on eBay for $8k. The guy that bought it sends him a check for $12.5k. He tells my friend that its "an insurance claims check" and that he doesn't have time to open a bank account to deposit the check and then issue a check for $8k for the time share.

The scam is to get you to deposit this hot check and withdraw the remainder of the balance and send it to the scammer same day. Then, by the time you figure out that you have been scammed, you are out $4.5k.

He got as far as depositing the check and withdrawing $4.5k CASH to send this goon (probably a group of goons). I convince him to hold off a day on sending that cash. The next day, the bank calls him to tell him that the check is fake.

Him wanting to believe that this check was real almost cost him $4.5k (apparently, the selling price of the time share was like $7k, and the scammer paid more for it, making the scam more appealling I guess).

Whether you know its a scam or not, some things are all about logical thinking. All you to have to do is think "Why am I getting something for nothing?" and it might help you in life.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
                      And the wrong currency.
                      Nice to see people using Britain, I've only recieved Amsterdam and USA lottery letters.
                      I've had the U.K. and some Euro lottery, plus Grants from Russia and some other countries.
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

(Now I could have told him he was being scammed, but I'm not obligated to in any shape or form to do so. I figure if you are dumb enough to get taken in by it, you deserve what you get
                        Wow, that's pretty cold.

So now the poor guy will jump through all the hoops to claim his nonexistent prize, and be out a lot of money while the con artists have a nice laugh at his expense and spend his money.

This is why these scams are still out there. People let greed lead them into foolishness.

I would've told him, repeatedly, that this is a scam and he'd lose his money. If he still wants to go through with it, well he can't say I didn't warn him.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                          And you should have. If they get even one dime out of him, it will only encourage them to keep scamming. And their next victim may just be your grandmother.

Not every one falls for it because they are dumb. There are countless victims of these scams, from all educational, social, and economic levels. Did the single mother hoping to finally have enough money to feed her kids deserve it? Did the son hoping to have money to pay his father's medical bills deserve it? Or what about the victim that lost so much money they killed themselves? Or the victim from Cyprus that was burned to death by these criminals (yes, it happened. Yes, I can back it up.)? Did they or their family deserve that?

Go here: www.419eater.com

Ask around for some victim stories. They have plenty. Read them. Then decide whether the victims deserved what they got. And next time, warn him.

Comment

And since nobody mentioned it, http://419eater.com/

My usual take on the subject.

Comment

You've won a prize! But there are fees you need to pay to collect the money. But instead of just taking the fees out of your "winnings" we need you to send us money in advance.

I don't understand how people fall for such logic. I guess you have to be either desparate or greedy.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X