This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Code

I'm just glad that I don't need my lwptop for the rest of the semester.

Anyway, this mourning when I turn on my laptop, I notice that it takes a much longer time to boot up. When it finally logs on, I get an error message:
    Quoth Windows Product Activation
    A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x8007007e
    From looking at the Microsoft support site it tells me that the issue is that Dpcdll.dll is missing or corrupted OR a service pack I recently downloaded is confusing the activation process.

I believe this issue was caused when my McAfee Security System upgraded yesterday evening. The site says to uninstall then reinstall the service pack. I know F8 takes me to the Safe Mode options during start up, but I'm not sure which selection is best suited for my issue that won't let me inadvertently kill my laptop.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Is safe mode allowed to have errors?
    Quoth Explorer.EXE Application Error
    The application failed to initialize properly 0xc0150002
    My safe mode screen is blank except for "Safe Mode" in each corner and the top of the screen reading: Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234: Service Pack 3)

Comment

Slight Update

My paper weight has listed a new issue:

Windows could not initiate because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\system32\config\system

It tells my running setup using the setup disc could fix this issue, but I don't know if I still have it.

As I've resided this laptop to hardware heaven, if I bought a new laptop could I put the old harddrive into the new computer.

Comment

Backup, Format, Reinstall Windows XP

I had an issue similar to that too and unfortunately that's what I had to do in order to fix it.
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Seconded.

Safe Mode can indeed have errors -- it's meant mainly as a troubleshooting tool, where (iirc) windows loads only the bare minimum files needed to operate. If you're getting errors in there, chances are that they're problems with Windows itself. Your best bet is more than likely to just backup your files, wipe the system, and reinstall.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

sweet jesus, you mean I am not alone?

3 weeks ago, I ordered myself a new gaming computer because I finally had the money to, and I had been using a laptop that is now about 3 years old and cant be upgraded any further. I downloaded the regular update, it ran sluggish the rest of the day and after about 3 hours I got the blue screen of death and some message about a driver conflict but I couldnt get back to the desk fast enough to actually read in detail [i am on crutches] and then it was a dead brick on my desk - nothing I could do would get it to power up. I just moved over to using my spare laptop, of about the same age that I had been using for work. Now 4 days ago we let it do its auto update, hubby used it to do some light surfing and emails, logged out for the night, and in the morning, another dead brick on the desk.

Luckily the new game computer arrived 2 weeks ago for me, and hubbys new computer arrived day before yesterday so we are all set ... just very confused about the 2 dead laptops ... I suppose I might try making a boot disc of some form of linux to see if that might get it working ...
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Erm...

Before backup and re-install is it worth trying an overlay?

Just boot from the OS CD and install it to the same folder as the old version. If it doesn't work then it's 20-60 mins of lost time, if it does then it's a whole lot easier (although backups are still a good thing ).
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Overlays are generally a bad idea. They end up hosing the registry making already installed apps function improperly, if they function at all.

The two options I'd consider would be to restore from a restore point, if there's one saved or to repair.

The restore point can be accesses when you boot into safe mode. There's usually a yes or no box that pops up and if you click "no" it will take you to the system restore to where you can select your restore point.

To repair, boot off of the XP CD and and choose the option to restore instead of install. It may ask you for the administrator password, so you'll want to verify you have it or change it to something you'll remember. The repair should resolve any of the dll errors you were getting.

Hope this helps.

CH
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Thank you all for the great advice. I'm not sure if my mom still has the original installation disc, but I did make recovery CDs at some point last year.

If I can't get any of your advice to work, I luckily can still send my laptop in to be formatted. Hooray for long warranties.

Thanks again

Comment

I have great news my computer lives again. Thank you for taking the time to offer advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X