This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing RAM

My mom's computer is driving her nuts. It's been the family computer since we lived in Roanoke or maybe WV so it's up to a decade old. It's slow, needs a complete reset, etc, etc...frankly if any of us could afford it I'd get her a new computer.

What I can afford to purchase for her though and would like to is more memory. Problem is it's a Dell Dimension 8200...and apparently there are two different types. So computer guys here, I've got a question. What does 2.1 gz mean and how do I check if that's what she has or not? Cuz apparently I need to buy one type of memory if her computer fits that description and another if she doesn't.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

The 2.5ghz is the speed of the processor most likely, not the RAM inside your computer.

Dell used RAMBUS memory for a while during this time, which are consdierably different than any other ram, and very expensive. Last time I checked for my old Dell, it would have cost me nearly $500 for 512mb of it. I never did upgrade the machine, and chose to build a new machine instead.

Anyway, the best way to find out what you've got, is to head over to Crucial.com and (Using IE, not Firefox) let them run a scan of your system. You'll have to allow the active-x software, but it is safe.

The scan will tell you what kind of memory you have, how much, how much your machine CAN take (there is a hardware limitation to how much can be installed and work) and of course, offer to sell you some.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

2.1 gHz means 2.1 gigahertz, the computer speed. Just looking at memory for it though, it looks like it takes RDRAM memory. Unfortunately, it looks like that memory is quite pricey, and being an older type, you won't find many deals for it, unless you can find some used memory. As for speed of memory, the main rule is make sure it can fit into the slot.

Comment

Dell's site states that there was two different Dimension 8200's, one that has a 400mhz Front Side BUS and one that has a 533mhz Front Side BUS. The RAM needed may differ from one to the other.

Is that machine currently able to get onto the internet? If so, might want to use Dell's System Analyzer to give you the results of which machine it is.

From there, we can determine what kind of RAM it needs, then the pricing of said memory.

Let me know if you need further help. I work nights and check this forum periodically during the night.
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Okay...apparently it's so old Dell doesn't recognize it anymore >.<

But did get a scan to work. Apparently it's got 512 MB of RAM and they're 400MHz speed. And the processor speed is 2.0 gz. Do you guys need any other information?
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Looking at specifications from dell, you want pc800 memory.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/

One site I looked at has two different speeds, both of which are okay. However, the 512M chips go for over $100 each.

This looks like the best one for you. It also looks like you need to install the memory in pairs.

http://memoryx.net/pc800nonecc.html

Comment

Thanks! Now to try and pull the money together...>.<
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You may want to comparison shop -- I've often found good deals on RAM at www.newegg.com -- but it looks liek they don't carry this type.

PS LionMan, Unless I am mistaken, RDRAM = RAMBUS RAM.

Eek. That's exactly what this system uses (hence the need for a Continuity Chip -- if these are present, they will generally be green strips of plastic WITHOUT any small black chips attached to them; their only purpose is to provide a complete circuit when those slots do not have actual RAM in them). And yes, you need to buy it in matched pairs. Depending on what she has now, either two 256's or two 128's would be the best bet.

I used to have a RAMBUS system....at the time, it was nice and fast, too. Been awhile
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                  Thanks! Now to try and pull the money together...>.<
                  Honesytly with ram that exspencive I would simply save up for a new computer.

Comment

Ditto. You can usually find fairly decent Compaq machines for under $500 (if I was local to you, I could build you one from my old parts and charge only labor).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Well, I found some $50...which was about how much I could spend anyway. It's my mom's computer and the whole budget is tight. I'd love to get her a new computer but I need a job first.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Understood, we're in the same boat. There's only so long that you can keep an OEM computer limping along...so far, the only part in this one (~7 years old) that seems problematic is easily replaceable.

*growls at manufacturers who have to make 90% of everything proprietary*
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                        X