This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smiley's mega UTA thread

As it is that I have (and will) be riding the bus/train much more often, rather than post individual posts I'll just post to this thread, much easier that way

I've already got several stories saved up that I haven't had time to post yet

There's the smart way and then there's the UTA way
    Okay, so UTA was doing weed abatement along the tracks. They were burning the weeds, quite common. Now, for safety reasons they decided to close down track rather than try to time the burns between trains, understandable. Here's where the stupid comes in. There are switches before and after each station, so the most they should have to single track at any time is between the two stations they are working on... right, right.
    Nope, they decided rather than work in blocks in between stations that they would close a 4 mile section of track (between Fashion Place and Meadowbrook), of course causing trains to back up waiting to get through the single track and causing backups on the platforms because the train now had to stop twice at each platofrm (once for the wheelchair ramp for going the other direction and then once at the main platform rather than being able to line up with both at the same time). So, we got to Fashion place and we had to wait not just for the train going the other direction, but the train ahead of us waiting for the train going the other direction... and the train going the other direction that was waiting for the train in front of us... yeah, good planning UTA.

Umm, what?
    http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/TRAXmap1208.jpg
    That is for reference. Notice there is two lines, one from Downtown to Sandy and one from Downtown to the University (they do now also have special service going between Sandy and the University, but that isn't really important to this story). That map is also posted at every station
    I was waiting for my morning train, I was at Meadowbrook, notice how going south there is but one option, and that is going to Sandy, nothing else south of Meadowbrook (yet). Southbound train comes into the station and guy a little bit down from the platform from me freaks out "is this train going to Sandy, I need to make sure I get on a train going to Sandy... OH God, if I get on the wrong train I am in so much trouble... you you (talking to me) is this train going to Sandy"
    Let's review, there is a signboard on the front of the train that says "Sandy", twice on the side of each car it says "Sandy", the platform says "To Sandy" the sign board on the platform for the last five minutes has been saying "Next train to Sandy"... and there is nowhere else to the south that the rail even goes to (yet).
    So seriously dude, chill out.

Pull up your pants or deal with it
    Full disclosure, if you are a very attractive guy with a nice ass and sexy black underwear and your pants are halfway down your ass, I will be looking at your ass... if you don't like this fact that you can feel free to wear your pants properly... way I look at it, by leaving it uncovered you are inviting people to look... not my fault that your open invitation got accepted by someone you didn't intend it to go to.

Teenage logic
    Okay, I overheard this gem from a soon to be shocked teenager.

NT= Naive teenager
    NTF= Naive teenager's friend

NT: I think it's going to be cheaper for me to get a car than to ride the bus.
    NTF: You think?
    NT: Yeah, I'm spending like $10 a day on bus fares
    (Smiley's note, why the hell don't you get a bus pass for $75 unlimited use for the month, you'd break even before the month was half way through if you really are racking up fares at that rate)
    NTF: Wow, that's ridicules, you can get gas for cheaper than that.
    (Smiley's note, they were riding from Orem to Salt Lake, I already know that you can't get gas for that cheap going between Orem and Salt Lake and then going around Salt Lake, and back)
    NT: Yeah, I can't wait to get a car, it will save me so much money going downtown.
    (Smiley's note, there is no free parking downtown, $5 a day is considered cheap... you must be getting really cheap gas... oh and where is your insurance through, I want to know if gas and insurance is coming to less than $5 a day from Orem to Salt Lake, if this deal truly exists I want in... and God help you the first time you need to have maintanence on your car).

Have you ever wondered?
    You'd think that a train operator who is doing a run that serves one purpose and one purpose only is to make a connection with the 811 and 817 that he wouldn't dily daly around in each station and would try to stay on schedule so people could make their connections.

Lies and the lying liars who tell them
    I overheard, "Hey boss, I'm on the bus now and he's really running behind schedule, I'm going to be late to work"

I verified the schedule against where we were and we were in fact a minute ahead of schedule...
    Who wants to place a bet that said employee doesn't want to admit he missed his bus and is hoping his boss believes him about the late bus because we're on a route that is infamous for having one of the worst on time performances in the system.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Pull up your pants or deal with it
    Full disclosure, if you are a very attractive guy with a nice ass and sexy black underwear and your pants are halfway down your ass, I will be looking at your ass... if you don't like this fact that you can feel free to wear your pants properly... way I look at it, by leaving it uncovered you are inviting people to look... not my fault that your open invitation got accepted by someone you didn't intend it to go to.
    What, no pics?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      What, no pics?
      You're telling me! And was this man with a nice ass black, white, Asian, or what? Inquiring minds want to know!
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Can I third the "No pics?!" please?

Also since we have a thread started about public transport I'll post my rant from yesterday here:

When getting off of a bus (or train) keep moving away from the doors! People are trying to get off behind you and blocking the door so they can't is frankly annoying.

I had about a quarter of a person width to get around these people and they'd literally stopped one step out of the bus so I had nowhere to go without becoming a pole vaulter or slimming down to a cardboard cut out!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
          When getting off of a bus (or train) keep moving away from the doors! People are trying to get off behind you and blocking the door so they can't is frankly annoying.

I had about a quarter of a person width to get around these people and they'd literally stopped one step out of the bus so I had nowhere to go without becoming a pole vaulter or slimming down to a cardboard cut out!
          I've found that barging forward with elbows out saying loudly in a sing-song voice "'scuse me, coming through, sorry, excuse me, coming through!" repeatedly helps. If the noise doesn't make them move, an "accidental" elbow in the kidneys usually does. Hey, if they're blocking an entrance/exit, they should be glad it's me. Some of the places I've been, that would've got them punched.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post

When getting off of a bus (or train) keep moving away from the doors!
            Also, when geting onto a bus/train, let others and their bags off first.
            Then I won't be cursing you in a loud voice while being plastered to the outside of a train hung up by my bag that was still inside the train being pinned back by your arm as you were in such a hurry to catch that particular train & not the one 2-3 mins later!

Can I add to this that when travelling up/down an escalator with luggage on wheels, do not stop to adjust/raise the pull handles just as you've stepped off the escalator!

To the person who shouted at me in whatever language he used, yep, I guess you were pissed I tripped over you & caught you with my bag. If you must stop dead in such a stupid place, personally, I'd rather it was just you at the bottom of the pile of people you blocked getting off the escalator & not me too

I have more sense, I had a wheelie bag too, which I carried up the escalator by its carry handles.
            I also had the sense to move away from the escalator & to the side of the crowds to adjust my handles & get ready to pull again
            Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
              Can I add to this that when travelling up/down an escalator with luggage on wheels, do not stop to adjust/raise the pull handles just as you've stepped off the escalator!

To the person who shouted at me in whatever language he used, yep, I guess you were pissed I tripped over you & caught you with my bag. If you must stop dead in such a stupid place, personally, I'd rather it was just you at the bottom of the pile of people you blocked getting off the escalator & not me too

I have more sense, I had a wheelie bag too, which I carried up the escalator by its carry handles.
              I also had the sense to move away from the escalator & to the side of the crowds to adjust my handles & get ready to pull again
              And this is why I don't retract the handle at all when going up the escalator. Much easier to wheel it off and away when I get to the top if I don't have to stop and fiddle with it at all.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Am I the only one who winced when i saw the thread title because i thought it said Mega UTI? :-)
                "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  And this is why I don't retract the handle at all when going up the escalator. Much easier to wheel it off and away when I get to the top if I don't have to stop and fiddle with it at all.
                  I wish I could! I can't hold my bag on the step behind me as its an uncomfortable position to be in, & if I have it on the step in front with the handle out, I can never set it in motion at the top & end up falling over it... so, I stick to lugging it up the escalator

Oh joy, got that fun to come again in a couple of weeks... think I'll fit swords to the wheels & a big airhorn to the handle
                  Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Ah, indeed. Luckily I've been able to keep mine on the step directly behind me, which makes for easy rolling.

Love your suggested bag modifications!
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      Hey, if they're blocking an entrance/exit, they should be glad it's me. Some of the places I've been, that would've got them punched.
                      I used to be very unpopular at work and when clearing a room of stock after a event. If people end up talking in doorways I will quite often shout "Doorway! coming through!" when I was about 2-3 steps from reaching them. Suddenly everybody looks up and sees the idiots blocking the way.

I find it harder with public transport since I don't know people well enough to fell ok about embarrassing them.
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I commute a lot by train (I have 1 hr trip one way) and whenever people start to enter the train before I'm out, I Spread myself as wide as possible and pursh them back out, and If they fall then I'm oops but it was your fault!.

Other things that annoy me are youth that insist on putting their dirty shoes (as in mud) on the seats. They are the fist to complain getting ther precious clothes dirty.

Comment

talk about lazy

okay, waiting for the bus at the UVU roundabout stop, bus pulls up that's not mine, and I overhear this.
                          SL- sucky lady
                          BD- bus driver
                          Me- yeah, I was a smartass

SL: do you go in front of wal-mart
                          BD: no, this is my end of hte line, I turn back towads provo now.
                          SL: how am I supposed to get to Wal-Mart?
                          BD: that route's next bus should be in about half an hour
                          SL: half an hour, is there no way for me to get there soon.
                          Me: yeah, walk the half a block to Wal-Mart, you can see it from here...
                          Bus driver is silent, and sucky lady gives me death glare.
                          But seriously, it's a half freaken block, it can be walked in less than 5 minutes... hell, it takes less time to get from that stop to wal mart than from one end of campus to the other.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

What? No half dressed men to carry her, while another feeds her grapes and another fans her? How dare you expect her to WALK?! Or if she must walk, it should at least be on the broken backs of the 'peasants'!
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Ugh. I see so many people, especially on my way home from work, during the morning commute, who will wait 10, 15+ minutes for a specific bus, then get off after 3 or 4 blocks. Bonus points for those who pace constantly while waiting for the bus.
                              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X