Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't pay for much of anything when I was their age, I got my first job when I was 19 (summer after my freshman year in university), prior to that mommy and daddy paid for just about everything, including both my gas and the car it went into (I did petsit and babysit for some extra cash to be used for things like video games and concert tickets). The difference is that I knew I was lucky, I made damn sure to be the best daughter possible, I did well in school, I volunteered extensively, I was thankful for everything that they gave me, and if something had happened to change our finances I would have been ready and willing to roll my sleeves up and pitch in however I could.

Comment

This girl sounds like my cousin. When one of our aunts asked her what she wanted to do after school she said "like marry a doc or lawyer so I dont have to like work"

little miss is 20 and never had a job or done anything. I blame her parents they give her anything and everything she wants. She drives a benz and wears all name brands.

Comment

shoot

I got my first real paying job at the St. Louis Zoo at 16 or 17 making $1.60 per hour (Yes I am dating myself with that sum and yes that WAS below the Federal minimum of around $2.20 cause I was a seasonal worke so they could pay below min)
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post

I foresee these kids ending up on the next season of "You're Cut Off!"
          Thank god for Google-fu, I had NO idea what that involved. And I know a few people around here who would be perfect for that.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Parents put me to work when I was 15; and I didn't even have a social life to pay for or a car, or anything. I was perfectly content with my $5 a week allowance. I spent the next seven months working part time at Dairy Queen before finally quitting and becoming a bagger for a grocery store. I've never been deliberately unemployed since except for summers during college (I worked during the school year.) 18 too young to get a job? Some parents will cut you loose entirely at 18.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
              I'd be willing to bet that they are planning on marrying well as their future income source.
              Then they're just gonna complain that there are no "super hot sugar daddies like on TV", just creepy old men with a thing for young girls. They should just shut their spoiled, ungrateful mouths and get jobs.
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

I feel sorry for the first people that end up being her co-workers. The whining and laziness will be epic.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Try growing up on a farm, you are old enough to walk and carry something..you are put to work. My first 'paying' job was not till 14 though. Still for those who have grown up on a farm, you know what I mean. Feeding the chickens, etc..you can be pretty young when you are expected to work. I am not talking about cleaning, dishes, etc but sometimes back breaking work.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Thanks to sister Valentine I've been reminded of a rare male example, my father's cousin Danny. He's a couple of years older than me (31) and Aunt Irene and Uncle Joe pay for EVERYTHING for him and he still lives at home. Sharon however is 39 is married has 2 kids and a house and a full time job, and is like me in the sense that she HATES to ask for money from the parents. I'd rather sell all my stuff than go up to my parents with my tail between my legs asking for help.
                    ......../\
                    ....../__\
                    ..../\...../\
                    ../__\../__\

Comment

I think I was doing unpaid volunteer work at a library (processing returns, shelving, and straightening) when I was 13. Maybe 14. My first official paid job was at a movie theater when I was 16, and I've worked off and on since then. I still remember the feeling when I walked into the clothing store next to the theater and bought myself an outfit--brand new, not a hand-me-down from a family friend--with my own money. I felt daring and giddy and afraid Mom would say I was wasting money, but she seemed satisfied I'd learned well how to shop for my own clothes. That outfit lasted several years, too. (Funny, I still get that feeling when I buy clothes. "I still have perfectly good clothes, why am I getting new ones? ...because my old ones are showing signs of wear. Shut up and stop feeling guilty about wanting to look nice.")

My parents also had me doing chores for my allowance as soon as I was old enough to clean my own room. I know I was doing dishes and laundry by 10, cooking dinner at 14. I had to learn how to change a tire, oil, and air filter and top off fluids before I was allowed to have my learner's permit. Dad taught me to balance a checkbook and do my own taxes. I even had to help convert the garage into an extra bedroom (carpentry and curse words!) and install a water heater (I could solder better than a roomful of engineering students the next semester).

Sure, not everyone learns how to do everything. But I have absolutely NO sympathy for all the spoiled princes and princesses of the world!
                      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I started working for pay at 14 for family grinding scrap foam up for pillow stuffing. At 16, I was a lifeguard at a summer camp covering both an olympic-size pool and the boating lake. I had to make two saves that year*, so not just sit-and-sun work. My senior year in high school, I went to work at King's Island to earn money for college books and whatnot, then worked in the student computer labs during semesters.

OP's twits get no commisseration from me.

*not serious issues, thank god, just a couple of guys who overestimated their abilities.
                        Last edited by Geek King; 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I've been working since I was 15. Mum says I haven't asked her for anything since I was about 14. Shame really that they haven't been encouraged to get a part-time job by their folks...I really think earning a bit of your own cash can be a very good experience for a youngster who many not appreciate that money doesn't come from ever-running fountains of cash lol.

Comment

I hope these girls get their heads on straight (or marry rich) before they end up like my bf, or worse, his brother. I can't imagine being 27 years old, refusing to work, going to college but using that as leverage, and having all of your stuff paid for for you. I mean, he even got his parents to finish paying off his Mercedes because his grant money (and that's bullshit alone because he lives with his parents and doesn't pay a dime for anything, yet he gets thousands of dollars!!) isn't enough to pay off that car. His pill addiction is more important. Oh, and if you can find parents who tolerate your abuse of prescription pills, even better!
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My first job was at 10--I delivered papers. My next one was detassling corn at 12. These princesses have a lot to learn.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Ah detassling and shucking corn *wistful sigh* those were simple days. I sometimes miss simple days. Sure getting up at dawn to milk cows, feed chicken, slop the hogs was hard work..but something about seeing the fruit of your own labor just made it all worth while.
                                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X