This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hick Wedding

My hubby works on the side as a DJ. Yesterday was his first wedding reception of the year. What follows is from what he relayed to me on his return.

He gets to the hotel and asks the front desk if he can pull around back to load the gear into the room directly. The front desk says no, they don't want the grass torn up. What grass? There's still snow on the ground. Plus, there's a paved walkway all around the building, so he wouldn't be driving on the grass. But they insist. So he parks in front of the hotel and hauls his gear down their narrow elevator to the other end of the hotel.

While he was hauling gear, the cake decorator arrived with the cake. It was a square black and white cake - not the sort of thing you normally see at a wedding. She told Hubby that the hotel would want him to move his truck, and he responded that since the hotel was making him lug his gear all the way through the hotel, they could kiss his ass.

The guests started arriving. They were all dressed in black Carhartts and white tshirts. Hubby asked where the bride and groom were, and somebody said, "Can't you tell by the hats?" Everybody was wearing baseball caps. So he starts up the first song, and out of the crowd comes this scrawny guy and this large woman. They're wearing the same black Carhartts and white tshirts as everybody else, except the bride is wearing a white baseball cap that says "Bride" and the groom is wearing a black baseball cap that says "Groom." For the second song, the bride and groom danced with their parents (as is tradition). The groom's mother "looked like they had dug her up and thawed her out for the dance." Also "it looked like they gave her the dentures for the dance," since there was a severe lack of teeth among the older folks.

It came time for the bouquet and garter toss. The five or so young women get on the dance floor. Hubby usually likes to draw out the bouquet toss, so he says, "On the count of three, the bride is going to throw the bouquet!" Now, normally, he counts up: "One, two, two and a half, two and three quarters, three!" But he got interrupted, so he starts over, "On the count of three--" The bride hears "three" and throws the bouquet.

Ok. Whatever. So the groom gets up there with the garter. His four friends get out on the floor. Hubby does his normal routine of trying to get the guys to show off. He says "It's mighty slim pickins, girls" and plays "I'm Too Sexy." Normally, he gets the guys to dance for a few minutes before starting the countdown. But the music starts and the groom throws the garter. Hubby gives his standard response, "I hope he's not that quick with everything" and the groom responds, "Yeah, it's all about me! I get it over as fast as possible." The way Hubby told it, he wasn't joking.

The rest of the gig was pretty straightforward, other than Hubby feeling overdressed in his slacks and dress shirt. And nobody danced to requests - the only time there was more than two people on the dance floor was at the end of the night, when everybody was drunk and Hubby started playing more recent, popular tunes.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

On one hand I really want to say "well if thats what they wanted, then I'm glad that makes them happy". But on the other, I really want to say...do these people just have a complete lack of class? ^^;;

My sister-in-law-to-be is something of a hick, and this wedding you described sounds much more elegant than hers was :P I understand weddings cost money, but surely it couldn't kill people to make an effort. No, no Rabbit...don't be judgemental. I keep trying to tell myself that perhas they just wanted to have something casual and informal, but I also can't quite believe it... :P

Comment

I'm surprised they even booked a hall and had a cake. A keg and a bug zapper would've been every bit as appropriate, and cheaper too.

Yeah, I know, it's their day, this what they want, don't judge. But everybody's dressed the same, the only way to tell who the bride and the groom are is by their baseball caps, and somebody gets snippy when asked?

You know what, screw it. I'm guessing a blood test was not part of the run-up to this wedding.

Also this just as easily could've come from my state, even though the OP is one state away from mine. The state motto really needs to be changed to "Like Alabama, but cold."
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Ehhh, I know of people around here who do cammo themed "redneck" weddings. Or even blaze orange :shudder:

No, there's no way of knowing who the bridge and groom are when everyone looks like they are ready to go deer or turkey hunting.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Irv, sooo glad I wasn't drinking anything.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

LOL...I got an email today about a bride and groom who stripped naked for their wedding.
            It seems that pretty much everything and anything goes for weddings anymore.
            They aren't the stuffy, formal events they used to be.

As for the cake, I did one years ago for some good friends with pink flamingos on it. LOL.

Some crowds are dancing crowds, and some aren't, I guess.
            I imagine it's really frustrating for a DJ to deal with.

It's too bad the hotel doesn't have a better facility for service people to bring in their materials or equipment. That sounds like a real pain.
            Hubby is lucky he didn't end up towed.

Quoth Ghel View Post
            The groom's mother "looked like they had dug her up and thawed her out for the dance." Also "it looked like they gave her the dentures for the dance," since there was a severe lack of teeth among the older folks.
            Awww...now that was harsh.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I guess I'm a bit surprised the DJ didn't have some warning on what to expect. The ones around here usually meet with the bride & groom-to-be and discuss the plan, songs, etc.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

A friend of mine showed me pics from the wedding of one of her high schools friends. The theme?

John Deere.

Yep. Bride wore a white dress with yellow and green accents and the logo on the train, bridesmaids wore green dresses with a slit up the back: insde the slit was a fold of yellow fabric with, you guessed it, the logo.

It looked...special.

(and hey, I hope they have a long and happy marriage, but...some of those pictures are rather frightening.)
                "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  LOL...I got an email today about a bride and groom who stripped naked for their wedding.
                  It seems that pretty much everything and anything goes for weddings anymore.
                  Well that used to be traditional on Barrayar for the Emperor and Empress. Gotta prove you're not muties, after all...

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    Awww...now that was harsh.
                    I agree with you 100%, Ree.
                    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      Well that used to be traditional on Barrayar for the Emperor and Empress. Gotta prove you're not muties, after all...
                      But hopefully not for the guests.

One of my favorite authors, BTW.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If I ever get married, it will not cost more then $200-300 and be done in front of a Justice of the Peace with a couple of witnesses. The money that would've gone to the wedding would be spent on the honeymoon and a party after getting married.

I just can't fathom putting that much money, time, effort, and stress into one single day.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I can imagine it'd be frustrating for a DJ to put up with some of that crap, but I gotta agree that putting them down for the style of their wedding (or lack thereof!) rubs me the wrong way. Hats, hicks, funny cakes, why should that matter? I had some weird stuff at mine. I didn't hire anybody who could look at me funny for it though, most of it was done by friends and family. Although then again my mother in law looked at me funny, and then ignored me and did her bits how she wanted them anyhow. :P Thankfully all she could screw with was the decorations and the table setup.
                          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            You know what, screw it. I'm guessing a blood test was not part of the run-up to this wedding.
                            No, blood tests are not required in Minnesota. And from Hubby's description, it didn't look like the bride's family tree forked.

Also this just as easily could've come from my state, even though the OP is one state away from mine. The state motto really needs to be changed to "Like Alabama, but cold."
                            I totally agree.

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            I guess I'm a bit surprised the DJ didn't have some warning on what to expect. The ones around here usually meet with the bride & groom-to-be and discuss the plan, songs, etc.
                            For DJing, Hubby works for a local sound company that does the contracts and is the primary contact with the customer. Hubby got a list of songs they wanted played and what their colors were, and that was about it. The bride's sister was the one who signed the contract. Hubby described her as nice, but with an annoying laugh.

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                            A friend of mine showed me pics from the wedding of one of her high schools friends. The theme?

John Deere.
                            Hubby DJed a wedding once that was Packers/Vikings. The groom's family was all dressed in Packers jerseys, and the bride's family was all dressed in Vikings jerseys. I don't remember if the bride and groom dressed traditionally or not.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Just a reminder that Ghel was sharing a vent from her husband, and the "fail to see the suck" rule still holds, even if we may not agree with everything in the post.
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X