X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
    <i'm on the email list =) ]
    Yah, so'm I. Been subscribing since '02, with a gap around 04-06 more or less when my e-mail forwarding expired briefly and the list messages started bouncing. I haven't posted there much, but I do participate occasionally.

(Heh. Someone was once trying to figure out how many/few pharmacy personnel were on the list. After identifying myself as such, I also felt it necessary to point out that a certain Author Of Our Acquaintance is a retired pharmacy tech. She once mentioned in an Afterword somewhere that Miles V. was based on her supervising pharmacist. I was surprised to read this, as I was positive she'd based him on Carl Steinmetz, I mean he's a dead ringer for him. Same physical deformities, same genius, sense of humor, etc.)

Also, what the h3!! are Carhartts? Google isn't much help there; they seem to make a lot of stuff. Boots? Raincoats? Other clothes? PPE of some sort? I would love to see a wedding with everyone dressed up in NIOSH respirators...

On the topic of low-budget weddings, my aunt got married on my parents' back porch, which isn't all that big; there was just room for them, the rabbi, the witnesses, and my brother with his accordion. Admittedly it was her third marriage, and both she and her new husband are in their late 60s and grandparents already. I guess they figured what's the point of renting a hall for that.

Comment

I also don't believe a wedding has to cost the earth and several major organs, but "casual" for me would be suits and evening dresses under £100s, quiet service at the registry office and then a quiet meal with loved ones. But then that's me ^^;;

Having said that, me and my fiance are going to do the "spend the money on ourselves" kinda thing. We have to marry in the US but we don't want to marry in his homestate as there are a lot of very unpleasant relatives we do not want to invite. So we're "eloping" to California and going to get married on the beach. I say "eloping" but we will invite our parents and people we want there, and tell everyone else we didn't want them to feel obligated to go across the country >:3

It was actually my mum's suggestion. She said weddings end up being about spending lots of money on people you sometimes don't even like and don't even want there. So she suggested a quiet, intimate ceremony, just hire a minister, and then spend all the cash on the trip and honeymoon- make the wedding into a holiday, she said

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
        I looked up Carhartts online (I never heard about them before) but I get images of different things. What items are you talking about?
        I'm guessing pants or bib overalls. They're available in different colors but most often seen in a fetching puke tan color. Every self-respecting redneck around here has some Carhartt item to wear. They're geared toward the farmer/construction worker/anybody who works outside in extreme cold and has a job that's tough on clothing set.

My dad actually has a Carhartt jacket and bibs, but I've never seen him wear them. So I borrowed the jacket once. That thing is like a blast furnace for your torso.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

No point in talking about hick weddings with a few videos.

While not a hick wedding, here is my favorite wedding.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Hey, whatever makes you happy on your day =D
            And agreed, I'm another one of those that doesn't get the whole need to spend an arm and a leg to make sure it's a memorable and special day, my younger cousin did that, the whole church, limo, rented a hall, catering, dress and hair and the whole she-bang (her mom sold their lake house to fund it) of a two week long honeymoon - Disney followed by a cruise.

All we did was go to the court house on Halloween, I wore one of my dresses used for Ren-fairs, his mom was our witness... and the woman doing the ceremony was tiny. Like 4'1 tiny. (He's 6'2, I'm 5'5, was a weird scene) And went to Halloween Horror Nights as a honeymoon. Saving the money was worth it - plus it avoided a lot of family drama.
            Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

i do believe that this is what they were wearing

Comment

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
                i do believe that this is what they were wearing
                Well, damn. Now I wish they were sold over here, so I could buy some bits for my stepdad.

He's got a chronic disease, & feels the cold very easily (he often wears jackets in 80 degree heat). Something like that would be perfect for when he's on a DIY kick. Only partial lung function, but will he sit back & rest at the weekends? No! If he can't poke at something with a screwdriver or paintbrush, he gets snappy. This is me, trying to get either him or my mum to sit down for 5 minutes ->
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  LOL...I got an email today about a bride and groom who stripped naked for their wedding.
                  Quoth Shalom View Post
                  Well that used to be traditional on Barrayar for the Emperor and Empress. Gotta prove you're not muties, after all...
                  Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  But hopefully not for the guests.
                  NO, no. That would be the Betaziods.
                  Women can do anything men can.
                  But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                  Maxine

Comment

Working...
                  X