This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Ree Make a Decision!

As some of you are aware, Ree and our intrepid Raps are coming to stay with me in February. Ree, as most of you know had a pretty crappy 2008.

As some of you may remember, I foster stray and injured cats. Ree came to stay with me in November of 2008 and fell in love with a special little guy. We call him Mr. Stumps, or Stumpers for short.

Stumpers had a pretty crappy 2008 too. He had been a stray for some weeks when one day my step-sister notice that his "tail was missing". He didn't stick around for long, so a it was a couple of days before I saw him. His tail was indeed missing, and what was left was a bloody stump. He was pretty scared, so I got out the tender trap that I have, and trapped the poor guy. He freaked, there was blood. We got him in the car and on the way to the vet.

While on the way, I was on the phone with the lady from the rescue I work with, who is also a nurse. One of the things we were unsure about was what kind of quality of life he'd have. You see, a cat's urinary track is located in the base of the tail. So depending on how far down the tail they would have to trim back, he might have ended up incontinent. We got up there, and went into the back surgery area, and started to get him examined. We decided to go ahead with the surgery. We told the vet if he was going to be incontinent then to just euthanize him, because no one is going to adopt a incontinent cat, and I already have 8 of my own. One of which is already affectionately known as Mr. Pisser. If the cat was going to be fine, just neuter him.

Obviously things went great, because he's living in my house and Ree has fallen in love with him. The problem is, she's going back and forth on the adoption. Her sister is afraid it might be too much of an expense. Ree's grandchild doesn't appear to be allergic to cats, but she could be one day. Ree just had to buy new appliances for her kitchen.

The adoption fee is $120. Ree has an old litter box from her last cat. I will hook her up with some food and litter. The cat will be an indoor only cat, so shots etc are negligible.

The cat himself is a big cuddly suck, that just wants to be loved. I also happen to think he would look lovely on Ree's new quilt

I've included pics for reference:
    Attached Files
    Yes! Damn it! Ree deserves her own squishy.
    90.91%
    No. Finances are tight, and this economy who knows.
    1.82%
    No, because I want to adopt him, and I'm sending GK a PM right now.
    0.00%
    Maybe. He's kind of shaped like a football. How squishy could he be?
    7.27%
    "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

The cat is cute (who wouldn't love Pirate Cat?) but I don't feel qualified to advise Ree (or anyone else) on whether adopting a pet is the right thing to do.

Only Ree knows her full situation well enough to make that decision, I think.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

YES

Yes, Ree should adopt the adorable little ball of fluff. Both her and the cat have been through a hell and it seems would have a sympathetic understanding and would be able to help each other through tough times. In addition, pets make life more fun.

If it were me and I were in Ree's position, I would adopt the furry friend and go from there.
      Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

Pets make you live longer.

'Nuff said.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I didn't vote. Only Ree knows.

However, I will say this. I rescued a dog many years ago. I had no intention of keeping him. My goal was to find him a good home.

The dog wanted to be my dog. And I adored him. But my house was too small, and I worked all day, and I just don't think I'd make a good owner for him, and really, how much time do I really have, and blah blah blah blah.

I was talking about this in the studio at Public Television to a friend, going back and forth about how crappy a life the dog would have with me.

Then a dude in the studio, a guest, who was reading a newspaper and apparently not ignoring us as we thought he was looked up and said, "Look, does the dog love you?"

I just stood there, like a doofus that had never even considered that, and he went on "I bet the dog loves you. If he does, and you love him back, he's your dog. Keep him. He doesn't care about your situation."

I kept the dog.

Thinking about how I almost gave that dog up scares the hell out of me.

So, look, Ree...does the cat love you?
          Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 01-25-2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I've discovered that we don't pick our pets, they kind of pick us. No matter how long you're gone, they'll remember you, too. Years ago, my aunt let me, my brother, and sister pick two cats to take home from the litter that had been born under her porch.

We took home two cats, a boy and a girl, whom we later named Ebenezer and Ariel. Though my brother picked Eb out, I was the one that named him. Evidently, somewhere in his Georgia backwoods DNA there was Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat, because he exploded into a mass of hair when he became an adult.

Anyway, Eb chose me as his "pet human" rather than my brother and even after I moved out and away to Chicago, he remembered who I was when I came home for visits and would go looking for me for days after I would leave. Sadly, he had to be laid to rest in the spring of last year. Old age and failing health were slowly catching up. He's sleeping in his favorite spot under the fig tree at home and I miss him.

Ree, take Stumpers home. Love him, and give him a good life.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

i honestly believe every pet we have choice us.
              Max chose my brother.
              Misty picked me and my sister.
              Chance chose my parents.
              Vixy chose my dad.
              Buster chose me and my dad.
              Diablo chose my brother.
              Tonks chose my sister.
              Chubbs chose me.
              Luke chose my brother.
              Serenity loves every member of outr family.
              and Claire chose my dad, then me.
              if Ree already wants that cat, then its her cat.
              No matter what it will always be Ree's cat.
              She should have her cat.

Comment

I vote no comment.

Only Ree can decide if adopting the cat is right for her at this time.

It is a cute cat, though.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth The Gatekeeper View Post
                  The cat himself is a big cuddly suck, that just wants to be loved. I also happen to think he would look lovely on Ree's new quilt
                  Well, only Ree knows Ree's situation well enough for the true decision, but I'll say this...there's no cat more grateful than a rescue. They understand.

He really does have the look of a cat who just wants to be loved.
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

No comment. You can't decide for her, ultimately the choice is hers.

But if she doesn't want him, can I have him? Sure, my roommate is allergic, but who cares? I'm moving in a couple months.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

First, Ree must decide if she wants the cat. If she does, then she must decide if the expense of the adoption is doable or not. Only she can make that decision. If she decides she wants the cat AND she can afford it, then of course she should be allowed to invite him into her family.

As for the grandchild's potential allergy, well, it's potential. It may or may not be. If it does happen that grandchild is allergic, then Ree will have to make another decision, and I am sure she will make one that is good for the furball in question. I'm sorry, I just don't see Ree being the type to throw an innocent cat into a pillowcase and toss him into the snow if she can't keep him. She might do that with a random jester or two, but not a cat.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Uh oh Ree, it looks like there are people here who understand cats, and you.

For the record, Ree has said that she wants the cat, it's kind of a timing issue. When she was here Stumpers immediately sat with her and wanted to get pets. With the number of cats in my house (my 8 and at the time I think 3 other fosters) it could have been any cat that did that. In fact there are cats higher in the pecking order that really should have had first shot at the couch.

Someone said that if the cat loves you it's your cat, no matter where it lives. Raps will attest to that, with Mr. Pisser (o.k. his name is actually Harry). During Raps' last visit they bonded, and we both often refer to Harry as Raps' cat.

EQ if Ree doesn't take him you can have Stumpers for sure. $120 CDN to adopt and you just have to fill out an application online. If not him I have lots more

Hmm I'm finding more and more I'm ending conversations with people asking them if they want to adopt a cat.

(the original) GK procurer of Cats
                        Last edited by The Gatekeeper; 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM. Reason: grammar like stuff
                        "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

GK,

Please understand that I think the world of what you are doing for these homeless kitties.

When we left Florida we had to leave our girl, Rio, behind and it was someone like you who took her in. I would have died if I had to send her to a shelter where she might have ended up euthanized. I have nothing but the deepest respect for what you do.

My concern here with my original post was simply that this thread may put undue stress on Ree to take a pet she may not be ready for. That wouldn't be fair to her or the cat. The membership here doesn't know Ree's full situation or my full situation or most anyone's full situation- this is just an internet message board.

I realize this was all in fun. Hope you understand.
                          Attached Files
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                          HellGate: London

Comment

No offense taken Night Angel. I hope your doggy is happy in your new home, and that one day you can be a pet parent again.

Just for the record, Ree did know I was going to do this, and didn't express any distress because of it.

Btw everyone...I have heard from some concerned and generous board members privately. There is a pretty good chance that if Ree decides that she can afford to keep a cat, and that it's just the initial adoption fee that is holding her back right now, some anonymous donors are willing to foot the bill. It's up to Ree to decide if her lifestyle will work for her, her family and Stumpers.

Thank you to everyone who expressed your opinion. I think Ree and I both appreciate hearing neutral input. I'm a big girl and can handle hearing a differing opinion. Food for thought all of it.

Comment

Ooh, pretty kitty!

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                              I've discovered that we don't pick our pets, they kind of pick us. ...
                              Anyway, Eb chose me as his "pet human" rather than my brother
                              I agree with you there...My father always said, I hate cats, You can't have a cat, If you come home with a cat one or both of you will have to go...blahblah. Our first cat showed up in our driveway one day and refused to be scared away. Seven years later, he sadly had to be put down due to old age.

We now have 2 cats that my cousin found on his boat when they were only 2-3 days old. He brought them home (there were 4 of them), his wife took care of them for 7 weeks and then somehow we ended up adopting two of them (the other two went to good homes as well). I picked out the girl and my mom picked out the boy. The boy likes my mom best, but the girl is a complete and total daddy's girl. And my dad "tolerates" her.

Anyway, I voted yes because everyone deserves a squishy (and voting is fun), but really I do agree that Ree has to decide if she can afford to take care of a pet. On the subject of babies and allergies, assuming she is not already allergic, having a pet around when she's young may actually make the baby less likely to have allergies when she gets older...
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X