Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so perhaps you could find out the reading requirements for the level she's at and send her to school with that reading material. At least then she would be doing something productive during those sessions and not 'dumbing down'.

Why would the teacher not give out A+ grades to the children who earn them? Way to dash a kid's work ethic. And, yes, you'll need that later to prove to the program that she needs to be there.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

• Banned School Supplies

Trapper Keepers were banned when I was in elementary school. It's because they were very "fashionable" and somewhat of a status symbol. If you had a Trapper, you were cool. If not, you weren't. Nevermind that once they banned Trappers, the new status symbol (for the girls at least) became Lisa Frank binders/accessories.

Elle
      You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

• I discovered that the less emphasis you place on grades, the better for gifted kids. Otherwise they become perfectionists and freak out if they don't get 100% on everything *sigh*

I don't even tell my son what is grades say. I just look at the personal comments and tell him what they say (his teacher is always very positive). You can't expect every teacher to grade to your standards, and if you make a big deal of it, your daughter will simply learn to place an unnecessary importance on the letter instead of her accomplishments.
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

• Quoth tollbaby View Post
          I discovered that the less emphasis you place on grades, the better for gifted kids.
          I'm sure that's lovely unless or until they get a D or an F.

Then what?
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

• Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
            Sounds like the problems I had last year with my Daughters English Teacher. SHe would mark points off because my Daughter was too creative when given a creative writing assignment
            I got points knocked off an oral exam for "too much information".

OMG I was doing a better job teaching than the teacher, or was the entire class too dumb to understand 3 paragraphs worth of info on the Sealion? WITH HAND DRAWN PICTURES?
            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

• Reading these posts, I can't help but remember my fourth-grade teacher.

This woman took an as-yet-unexplained dislike to me the minute I stepped into her classroom. At the very start of the school year, on Meet-the-Teacher night, *both* my parents explained to her that it took me a little while to catch on to new ideas in math. It was something we were working on (in fact, one or both of my parents sat down with me every single night to practice multiplication, division, and whatnot), and they just wanted her to be aware of this. First actual day of school, I mentioned this to her. Things were great and things were fine until the second week of school or so when Gifted and Talented classes started up. Apparently, Mrs. Evil was not happy with the fact that I was in the Gifted and Talented program...she showed her displeasure by changing our class schedule so that math took place during the period of time in which the other G&T kids and I were off in our special class. I can remember asking if I could stay in at recess and get help with my math, or if there was an after-school program that could help me with it. She just looked at me and said that no, there wasn't, and that she could personally not care less about my "refusal" to learn math. Being a very shy child, I just kind of shut down at that and made nary a peep in her class for the rest of the year. I didn't say much to my parents about it until years later because I thought I'd done something to deserve such treatment...funny thing is, I was always the quiet kid in the back of the class who got her classwork done, contributed to class discussions, tried really hard to get along with everyone, etc.
              To this day, I still have real self-confidence issues when it comes to math. Draw your own conclusions.

However, I really think these gawd-awful individuals who do not deserve to be referred to as teachers only stick out in our minds because, compared to the wonderful teachers we've met, they're pretty rare.
              "Mommy, Daddy, I want a Jagermonster for Giftymas!"

Comment

• Quoth Noelegy View Post
                Oh yes, and there was the art teacher from third through fifth grade (art education did not exist past the elementary level) whom I remember making me do a Halloween art project over because it wasn't like everyone else's. Then there were the Friday "free art days," where the boys drew trucks and cars and robots, and the girls drew houses and fashion models. I drew unicorns and mermaids and illustrated stories (I can first remember making up my own stories--about Speed Racer--when I was about four), and got in trouble for drawing imaginary things.
                An art teacher with no imagination. Is there any more pathetic creature in existance?!

Quoth Noelegy View Post
                I got 5 points counted off an essay once because I described something as "cornflower blue," and she said there was no such color.
                No such color? She's obviously never seen a Crayola 64 crayons box. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflower_blue

My son will be entering Kindergarten in the autumn, and I am hoping we can afford to keep him in the school he is in now. We found a fantastic pre-K and Kindergarten school at a local Baptist church (which we later started attending). The teacher is very good with children, especially very active boys (he's the father of four such boys), plus the class size is small (only about ten kids, compared to the thirty in my son's previous preschool back in Phoenix) so the kids get more individualized attention. It's done him a lot of good.

If we have to put him in the public school, I sure hope he gets a decent, sensible teacher and not some anal-retentive harpy who throws a fit because his Math folder is fuscia instead of magenta!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                X