This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Drive Delivery Fail

So a Semi Truck Driver came to the site to drop off a load. They couldn't accept it because they didn't have paperwork on file for him. Unfortunately, whenever people call our site and don't know a name or extension, the security emergency number is given at the end of the message 'in case of emergency.' Well, EVERYTHING is an emergency to a lot of these callers!

The trucking company called our phone to complain that their driver had been waiting over a day and why wouldn't we take his load!? I can't transfer or give out information so I take a message and say I'll have them call him back.

I get the information from the Receiving department. Apparently, the Driver was supposed to deliver the load to the site in Texas from (I'll use equivalent states so I don't give away my location) Minnesota, but ended-up at the site in Kansas! So, how the Driver thought he was at the right location, nevermind the right STATE is beyond me, and how his company didn't know is still further beyond me!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

That sounds like one I read about in the trade press a few years ago. A driver got to a customer site in Duluth, and apologized for being late. Customer wasn't expecting him, and asked to see the paperwork. Turns out he was expected in Duluth Georgia, and had gone to the same company's site in Duluth Minnesota.

I've had a few "doesn't seem right" incidents in my career, but I alway CHECKED.

- Pickup in New Jersey, delivery in Greater Toronto Area. Dispatch message said that the load must cross at Sarnia. I asked dispatch why that crossing point was chosen, since it would double the mileage. Turns out it was a "canned" message for the same shipper's plant somewhere along I75 - shipment contained some hazmat, which would have made a Detroit crossing illegal. Was instructed to change my crossing point to Queenston (both Queenston and Fort Erie allow hazmat).

- Pickup in Massachussets, delivery in Quebec, LTL load. After skimming the master waybill, I returned to the shipper's dispatch window and asked if they were sure a particular shipment belonged on the trailer (it was going to Ontario). Normally, this shipper (U.S. LTL company) would put Ontario freight on the truck to Quebec (only Canada-bound linehaul they did from this terminal), and at the receiver (Canada-only LTL company) it would be put on a westbound truck. This shipment was another matter. Instead of being sent to Ontario, Canada, it was going to Ontario, California (near Los Angeles). Cue the dispatcher calling for a shunt truck to get that trailer back in a door pronto.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I never had a screwup like that when I was driving, but I did have one load that made me laugh all the way across the country. I took a load of frozen orange juice from California to Florida....
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

The worst screwup I've had was "only" on an intra-county scale. Because of the way street addresses are set up here, it's sometimes possible to find the same address in no fewer than 4 towns. Cue this sort of conversation:

me: Hi, this is Deserted with Big Green Cab Co, I'm at 1234 W Broadway, but I don't see [business name] here. Can I get some directions please?
        passenger: Sure, just go around the corner to [street 3 cities over].
        me: Oh, crap. I'm 40 miles away from you. Let me call dispatch...

(Note that when this happens, it's usually a screwup by either the passenger or the call center, and (so far) never by me.)

(Note also that in this case, I get taken off the call and it gets redispatched properly.)
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Last year I moved from one city to another within the same metropolitan area, and here too, I see streets with the same names as those in my hometown. A lot of the duplicates are even the same size/type of street. I can only imagine there must be some duplicate addresses too.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
            (Note that when this happens, it's usually a screwup by either the passenger or the call center, and (so far) never by me.)
            I've had a few of those too. The most memorable was an evening last winter. I was send to Banevænget 16 (not the right number) and wait a little while outside. I see light in the kitchen and after five minutes I go up and knock on the backdoor. The light go out and I can see the curtains move. I'm apparently very scary.

Back to the taxi, call dispatch and tell them. If the customers isn't there, or something else outside our control happens, we are put in front of the other cars in the district, so that we get the very next ride. In a few minutes I get a new ride - Banevænget 16. I call dispatch and ask if they are sure, the customers have just called again and complained so they are very sure.

Back again, light in the kitchen which goes out as soon as I park the taxi. I call dispatch and they ask me to knock again, just to make sure. No answer but they are still watching from behind the curtains and I can hear whispering. I get set up again as first car and in a minute I get the same ride again, dispatch says that the customers are complaining again. I ask dispatch to call the customers to be very sure this time. Dispatch call back and apologize, they had misheard, the customers is at Banevingen 16, twelve kilometres away.

I thought of going back and apologize to those nice old people I scared, but considering how scared they were, I thought it best to leave them alone .

Comment

Prior to Zip codes (postal codes for non-Yanks) my dad owned a Chevron station in Shingle Springs, California with a specific name, related to a local restaurant. There was also Chevron by the same name in Silver Springs, Nevada. Guess who regularly got each other's mail?
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Ugh, as a dispatcher/clerk at MW repair, I had to clarify on a regular basis the CITY of an address. For example, I get a call for 131 12th Street. I had better damn well ask if it's Little Rock or North Little Rock. The two cities had almost the same mapping, with the same street names and addresses. And sometimes, those streets overlapped! As in, you could have 131 12th Street, Little Rock be right down the street from 131 12th Street, North Little Rock!

The call center that took over our phone system would regularly put in Little Rock as the city, when the call was in North Little Rock! I began to suspect they were doing this to get around the blocks we put in place for specific days, where our tech would go to Little Rock one day, but North Little Rock would be a couple of days out.. and the customer wanted their North Little Rock call for Little Rock's day!
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

On more than one occasion we have gotten packages for the Corp of Engineers. Our address is 123 City Ave while they are 123 City Lake Road. For some reason UPS has a problem with figuring this out/driver just doesn't want to drive a few miles north of town to deliver it.

Comment

I live in <City>, and I used to work across the way from <City> Avenue, which is a tiny residential circle. The small town next to us is called West <City>, and they have a street called West <City> Avenue, which is a thoroughfare next to a large factory. To complicate matters further, both of these roads intersect with the same major street that runs through both towns.

At least once a week, we would watch GPS-dependent truck drivers squeeze their semis into this little road and then try to back out. It was always good entertainment on a slow day.

Comment

Working...
                    X