X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Front of the Kids?

Or the customers? Really?

Went to Woffle Haus tonight for dinner with the munchins and we decided to sit at the counter instead of a booth. While we were there an obnoxious guy wearing an employee's uniform all untucked and unbuttoned is sitting at the far end of the counter. He proceeded to taunt, tease, and generally argue non-stop with our waitress for the entire time we were there. He would not shut up! When the waitress took a break to go outside, he belched real loud and then followed her out there to continue the argument.

By that time we were done and just wanted to get out of there. Apparently the jerk is a manager from a different shift. The district manager was visiting at the time so I had them call him out and let them know what went down. He apologized and promised to talk to the guy and I was fine with that.

But seriously, if I wanted to sit and listen to people b*tch at each other thru my meal, I'd have gone to eat with family.

*This could go in sightings or co-workers, but since he was off the clock I'm sticking it here.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

On the one hand... no, wait, f*** that. Talking to the guy isn't going to do anything. He needs a "do it again and you're fired, sign here" warning.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      On the one hand... no, wait, f*** that. Talking to the guy isn't going to do anything. He needs a "do it again and you're fired, sign here" warning.
      1) If the person is in uniform, on the clock or not, he represents the company, and needs to act in at least a civil fashion. ESPECIALLY in front of customers.

2) It is NEVER appropriate to argue with or berate an employee in public. If you have to discipline an employee, it should NEVER be done in front of others.

3) Following the employee when he/she went on break in order to continue the argument is harassment.

4) If the manager is off-shift and there's an issue, it's the on-shift manager's problem, not his.

Shit like this can ruin morale and creates a hostile atmosphere. These are all the actions of someone not fit to be a manager. Personally, I'd skip the warning and show Mr. Asshole the door.
      Last edited by ADeMartino; 05-06-2014, 01:28 PM. Reason: added a thought or two

Comment

I agree with you, ADeMartino, this guy was breaking all the rules of good management. One of the other waitresses came over while I was talking to the DM and let him know the guy apparently does the All The Time. Most of the crew sees it as him "joking around" and that it's "just the way he is" and tried to imply that the waitress had a thin skin. I put a stop to that excuse right then and there. Sure, she could have said nothing, but one of the things he was accusing her of was coming in late for her shift and she was trying to defend herself. Whether she'd come in late or not, that didn't give him the right to call her out in the dining room in front of customers like that.

Unfortunately, the more I think about it, the more I think the DM and the jerk are buddies. When the DM first arrived they two had a little mock fight, that shoulder to shoulder shoving thing that jocks do. I'm wondering if I should trust that the DM will take care of it or escalate it with a letter to corporate. I'd hate to see the waitress canned over this.

Comment

EE, I would send a letter to corporate - if this dude does it "all the time", I'm sure other customers have complained. I wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of situation, and I wouldn't go back.
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

It's a Woffle Haus; the guy in the disheveled uniform arguing is probably part of the experience.

Only sorta kidding here.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              EE, I would send a letter to corporate - if this dude does it "all the time", I'm sure other customers have complained. I wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of situation, and I wouldn't go back.
              I agree one hundred thousand percent. Write the letter. Include names if you can. Tell them how uncomfortable the situation made you feel, and how you won't be coming back, and make SURE you mention the DM's behavior as well. Managers behaving badly enough to drive off business will get someone's attention in a hurry.

Comment

Yeah, but usually it's the customers who are disheveled and cranky.

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                I agree one hundred thousand percent. Write the letter. Include names if you can. Tell them how uncomfortable the situation made you feel, and how you won't be coming back, and make SURE you mention the DM's behavior as well. Managers behaving badly enough to drive off business will get someone's attention in a hurry.
                I'm mostly convinced to do so, but honestly, I love me my waffles and can't make them worth a damn at home so I can't say I'll "blargga blargga NEVER GO TO YOUR ESTABLISHMENT AGAIN!!!!!! blargga blargga". The most I can say is that I might not go back to that location. Considering there are almost a dozen within easy driving distance of my home, this isn't exactly a hardship for me and I have spent too much time around here to play that card easily.

Comment

UPDATE

I went ahead and wrote to Woffle Haus via their corporate webpage. Within 12 hours I received a phone call from the division manager. She wanted to apologize for the display and get information on names and such so she could look into the situation. She sounded honestly dismayed at the off-duty manager's behavior and promised to check into the incident immediately. I waived off the offer of a gift coupon (that wasn't the point of me contacting them) and told her I was just happy that it was going to be looked into.

So, hopefully happy ending, if the jerk gets reamed for the way he treated a fellow employee.

Comment

OK, see, that's how a corporation SHOULD act. Why can't more of them be like that?

Comment

Working...
                    X