Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes I'm sure you really want to advertise THAT!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I'm sure you really want to advertise THAT!

So my partner and I are looking for a place in Sydney. Partner did some househunting today. We found a couple of ads that were amusing or just downright odd.

Wrong category buddy!

For some reason, a real estate agent had advertised a place going for incredibly cheap rent for the area. We didn't apply, but I emailed the guy to find out why the frack it was so cheap. His response was that there were 2 people already living there, so it was basically a share. I avoided him after that! (it was a 3-bedroom apartment)

Ewww....(or "Why are you STILL putting this up?")

Partner did some inspections today. One of the places was nice, but had a mould smell and one of the cupboards had been shut and locked. Dude, why the hell would you bother advertising this if IT HAS MOULD?! (To be fair, the place was half-basement)

Fun with homophones!

My partner sent me this one for a giggle:

Quoth real estate guy
    This top floor one bedroom home unit is located in a small complex of six, although dated the building is reminiscent of a bygone error.
    And finally...

Why do people keep labelling studios as apartments and vice-versa!?

(at least some of the studios were large enough that we could transform them into two separate rooms with some creative furniture positioning)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post

This! Most annoying thing I find when house hunting. Also that these days studio seems to mean a house rented by the room. For me to be a studio room it needs to be big and have a kitchenette.

Comment

Quoth purple View Post
      This! Most annoying thing I find when house hunting. Also that these days studio seems to mean a house rented by the room. For me to be a studio room it needs to be big and have a kitchenette.
      Partner is very glad that NSW law requires tenants to actually inspect the place before they sign the lease. While I believe it's standard practice elsewhere as well, we found this out when partner emailed some of the agents stating that he'd take the place as is before he flew over.

We have found that for a couple of the studios listed, the kitchen is a decent size. He wound up looking at 4 places yesterday, 2 near the CBD and 2 slightly further out. I told him outright that it had to be near a train line because neither of us knew the public transport network inside and out and it was easier to utilise the train lines first. R

Comment

Always be very careful with rental properties advertised online... as I discovered when I was looking for an apartment a couple of months ago, there are scammers who will post properties that are for sale, already rented, seized by the bank, etc. and describe how wonderful it is... but alas! They building owner is abroad and can't show the property this week... but just for you, if you send a deposit, they'll make sure they hold the apartment so no one else can rent it before you.

I had found a place online that sounded way too good to be true. I forwarded it to my real estate person who was helping me look for apartments and she immediately spotted it as being bogus.

Sure enough, my biz partner, using an old email address he keeps for suspected spammers/scammers, emailed the guy and they gave him the schpiel about traveling but he could just moneygram them a deposit and they would take care of everything.

Scumbags. Get a real job.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          So my partner and I are looking for a place in Sydney. Partner did some househunting today. We found a couple of ads that were amusing or just downright odd.

Wrong category buddy!

For some reason, a real estate agent had advertised a place going for incredibly cheap rent for the area. We didn't apply, but I emailed the guy to find out why the frack it was so cheap. His response was that there were 2 people already living there, so it was basically a share. I avoided him after that! (it was a 3-bedroom apartment)

And finally...

(at least some of the studios were large enough that we could transform them into two separate rooms with some creative furniture positioning)
          First one, that is almost as bad as what I've run into on some listings... was looking for a place in Reno, looking at listings that say they are Reno and talk about their great central location close to freeway access only to look up the address and find out it is indeed very good freeway access... off of the the Village Parkway exit... oh, did I mention that exit is nearly 20 miles outside of the city?

Second... it may depend. I don't know about the regs down under, but at least in my neck of the woods a studio is a type of apartment... apartment can mean any rented unit inside a multifamily structure, so listing a studio as an apartment would be perfectly accurate.

Quoth An Haddock View Post
          Always be very careful with rental properties advertised online... as I discovered when I was looking for an apartment a couple of months ago, there are scammers who will post properties that are for sale, already rented, seized by the bank, etc. and describe how wonderful it is... but alas! They building owner is abroad and can't show the property this week... but just for you, if you send a deposit, they'll make sure they hold the apartment so no one else can rent it before you.
          Alternatively, what I've heard of happening is people pretending to be a listing agent, somehow get the codes for the key boxes and sign people into bogus leases after showing a place, get a hefty deposit and first month's rent, and then disappear.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            Alternatively, what I've heard of happening is people pretending to be a listing agent, somehow get the codes for the key boxes and sign people into bogus leases after showing a place, get a hefty deposit and first month's rent, and then disappear.

That's why I've always gone directly to a real estate company... plus a few of our clients are agents, as well.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
              Second... it may depend. I don't know about the regs down under, but at least in my neck of the woods a studio is a type of apartment... apartment can mean any rented unit inside a multifamily structure, so listing a studio as an apartment would be perfectly accurate.
              Down here, studio tends to refer to a combined bedroom/living room, sometimes with a separate kitchen and a separate bathroom.

Luckily this one was through a real estate agent and it's a branch of a real estate company he's dealt with before (when he was renting back in our hometown).

He got approved for a place today....

Comment

Working...
              X