This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.o That was a bit odd

The Microsoft scam, where they phone you and tell you that you have viruses on your computer. They called me today. It isn't the first time that they've called me. I told them upfront that I know of the scam (Tired to convince me it wasn't a scam) and then hung up when I told them we had at least two people in the house who knew computers really well and would have told me if something was wrong.

What was weird was they phoned me within about an hour or two of the first call. I think I'm finding a book to read them if they try to call me again.

I just tell them I have a mac or android tablet. And they take me off their list.

Comment

This is why I never answer my landline. That's the number I give out when I don't want to talk to someone. If you have my cell number, and I don't recognize yours, I'll wait to see if you leave a message.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Older thread

Yup. The last time one called I just said I wasn't interested and hung up on him because I was busy. But I've had fun keeping them on the line, waiting for the computer to boot up, it's busy, not responding yet, please wait...

Comment

"Oooh, my computer has problems?! Well, umm.... let's boot it up and see. Well, it could take a while.. it's an older machine, bit slow. How old? Umm.. when was the Tandy 80 made? Runs on Basic.. isn't that the same thing as Windows?"
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I have told them "there is a virus on my Commodore 64???? will it affect my dot matrix printer??? Oh no! my doppleganger discombobulator may be a risk!!!... Igor! crank up the virus scanning machine!!!"

for some reason they hang up on me...

(and yes, I use a C64 and dot matrix as part of my scientific experiments...Igor is my cat, and don't worry I don't re-animate the dead.... yet).

and yes, I am completely nuts...
            Last edited by solar; 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              This is why I never answer my landline. That's the number I give out when I don't want to talk to someone. If you have my cell number, and I don't recognize yours, I'll wait to see if you leave a message.
              I can actually do one better than that.

Back before Wi-Fi was invented (and when I was still living with mum) I paid to have a separate phone line installed to my room.

Whenever we had to give a phone number, but didn't want to risk getting marketing calls, my family would give out the number to my phone line.

Did I mention that I never connected up a phone, just left my computer plugged into it...?
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I keep wishing these idiots would call me....

...At work. Oh, the fun we could have...
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  I can actually do one better than that.

Back before Wi-Fi was invented (and when I was still living with mum) I paid to have a separate phone line installed to my room.

Whenever we had to give a phone number, but didn't want to risk getting marketing calls, my family would give out the number to my phone line.

Did I mention that I never connected up a phone, just left my computer plugged into it...?
                  I had a dedicated modem line like that for many years. Back in the 80s, I had to give a name for the listing (because I didn't want to pay the charges to make it unlisted).

I told them to list it under Ian M. MacHinery.

Yup, I (a)M machinery.

I once got junk *postal* mail addressed to Mr. MacHinery. Offering info on the coat of arms of the illustrious MacHinery family.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                    I once got junk *postal* mail addressed to Mr. MacHinery. Offering info on the coat of arms of the illustrious MacHinery family.
                    I once put my cat's name on my Kroger card (discount card). They sent her a free Mach3 razor :rofl:
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      I once put my cat's name on my Kroger card (discount card). They sent her a free Mach3 razor :rofl:
                      So... did you shave your ... ?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Not too long ago, I sent out this:

and got this in the mail a few days later:

Seems legit.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          So... did you shave your ... ?
                          Chin? Yup. Not too bad a shave, either.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

(Yesterday, 11:21AM) put my cat's name ...Kroger...sent her a free Mach3 razor
                            Quoth dalesys View Post
                            (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) So... did you shave your ... ?
                            In SW Ohio, pussy SHAVE YOU!

Are you feeling ok dalesys? Eight and a half hours is a long time to leave a straight line like that hanging!

Comment

LOL! That reminds me of this one time when my sister and I were kids. My family went out to eat at this restaurant on the shore of Lake Erie. The waitress dropped sauce on my sister's brand new jean jacket, staining it. We ended getting a free birthday cake offer each year for like five years afterwards on her birthday. Guess it was supposed to be compensation. These birthday cake offers were addressed to our cats, Tiger and Bella.

ExArtShopSlave
                              Last edited by ExArtShopSlave; 05-10-2014, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X