This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Remember Where You're From..."

Before the bank changed hands, the Chairman of the Board would always tell us, before any holiday, to "remember where you're from and who you represent" while we were celebrating. It was his way of saying that an employee getting plastered and doing something stupid would reflect badly on the bank. (Which I consider complete BS. I only represent the bank during work hours or at bank-sponsored functions. But that's not the point of this story.)

The former owners, including the former Chairman of the Board, still live in town and come into the bank frequently. They're still customers. They're still active in the community. So the former Chairman of the Board came through the bank this morning and told us all to "remember where you're from" over the holiday weekend. We were all giggling that he left out "who you represent."
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

My mother told me that same thing just about every time I left the house growing up. Actually, it was "Remember who you are and who you represent" but pretty much the same idea.
    Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 06-30-2011, 09:10 PM.
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

After hours working hours, I represent me and me alone.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

When I get to my car after leaving the building I throw off my work badge like it's on fire
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Yeah, I don't blame you. Nobody ever really listend to this former Chairman anyway.

I actually have a mental disconnect between work and non-work. If I don't write myself a note and stuff it in my pocket, I won't remember anything from work when I get home. Even if it's something I need to do or something I want to complain to my hubby about. Then, when I get to work the next day, I'll remember it. Same thing in reverse for something that happens at home.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

If you are on your own time and not in a company uniform, no one has the right to tell you how you should act. If you are at a company function or not on company time but in a company uniform then you should be mindful of how you act.

I went to a McDonald's at the mall one time and a guy from the Hot Topic was being a completely ignorant, belligerent asshole to the employees. He even got an attitude with me after I mistakenly got his food. He wanted them to remake it because I touched the bag. After he left I told them they should call the Hot Topic and complain about him. I don't know whether they did or not, and I still go to Hot Topic from time to time, but it sure made me think twice about the kind of people they hire. Someone else may not have been so nice and taken it a lot further. I did seriously consider going to the store and complaining about him.
            Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Here's my iron clad logic: When I go to work, I am paid. Usually per hour. For that hour, for your money, I will dress the way you want, I will act the way you want, I will do what you want and I will do it how you want.

Once I'm not being paid, what obligation do I have to do a damn thing you say?

Comment

Hell, my *High School* pulled this nonsense on us.

Although, from a certain perspective, I can see why they do this -- there are certain people who (very intentionally) use their experiences with people associated with a given institution to affect their opinion of the institution as a whole. Unfortunately, these people tend to be that 5% who complain CONSTANTLY and tell everyone they know about how horrible places are, so the businesses/schools/whatever do everything in their power to kiss up to them. After all, they MAY spend a ton of money, or donate a ton, etc.......

That, however, does not change the fact that my uniform/tag/etc comes off the second I walk out of the door. If I'm not getting paid for it, it's not my concern. Not that I act like a dick or anything ^_^ It's just that, aside from acknowledging that I work for ____, I have no responsibility towards them.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Hell, my *High School* pulled this nonsense on us.
                  My college tried that crap too. One year, the school got upset, because some off-campus students were putting up their sorority/fraternity letters in their windows, and the school actually tried to fine people over that. They backed off when it was revealed that the students....didn't bother updating school records with their addresses. Most of them simply put their parents' address instead. There wasn't a damn thing they could do about it
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
                    Here's my iron clad logic: When I go to work, I am paid. Usually per hour. For that hour, for your money, I will dress the way you want, I will act the way you want, I will do what you want and I will do it how you want.

Once I'm not being paid, what obligation do I have to do a damn thing you say?

there is at least one exception to that rule. if you are employeed as a delivery driver and get a moving violation ticket OR get a DWI/OWI (or for that matter ANY law violation involving alcohol) off the clock, you can get either suspended for a day or two(moving violation ticket) or terminated (DUI or multipile moving violation tickets during a 6 month period). most of the companies do check the state ticket records on a regular basis so even if you do NOT tell them,they will find out one way or another.

yes it does happen.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I would think that a DUI, in particular is a fireable offense for most Drivers...If you don't TELL the boss, then, no question, yer outta there; if you do tell them right away and at least act contrite, they could reasonably have you work in-house for a few days to a week, letting you on the road only as needed.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I would think that a DUI, in particular is a fireable offense for most Drivers...If you don't TELL the boss, then, no question, yer outta there; if you do tell them right away and at least act contrite, they could reasonably have you work in-house for a few days to a week, letting you on the road only as needed.
                        that is a good account of what usually happens. BUT say you get 2 or more speeding tickets off the clock (at least at my franchise your mileage may vary on the company/franchise involved) they will ban you from driving for 6 months and you have the option to work as an insider (but that is dicey because they usually are fully staffed with cooks and such). after that time period IF you have no more tickets they may (at their discression) let you do delivery again.

IF you get a moving violation ticket ON THE CLOCK, your chances of driving/delivering again plummet like a rock off a cliff. IF you have a good past record they may only suspend you for like 3 - 5 days. but a previous bad driving history is not a good thing.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          IF you get a moving violation ticket ON THE CLOCK, your chances of driving/delivering again plummet like a rock off a cliff. .
                          That's just it -- driving violations are one of the few things where it would make no difference to me whether it was on the clock or not (aside from insurance issues)...A person who drives dangerously on their own time is likely to be a person who drives dangerously on company time...he just hasn't been CAUGHT while on the clock yet.

Comment

Meh, how people behave in two seperate scenarios is not a good indicator of anything.

When I drive my car...I barely pay attention to the road sometimes. I drive through puddles. I leave my mcdonalds wrappers all over the place.

When I drive a friend's car, I am careful, obey traffic laws, speed limit, and won't even smoke in it unless he says its ok.

I drink alcohol at home - it doesn't mean I drink alcohol at work. I might get a DUI driving home from the bar, but unless that DUI prohibits me from driving at my job, it has no affect on my job.

If these companies spent more time policing the 8 hours you're at work instead of the 16 you're not, our economy wouldn't be so fucked.

i would've had a good job at wal-mart, and been really good at it, save the drug test. so now i'm unemployed, and people like wal-mart have to hire inferior employees to me so they lose money, and then I have to go on foodstamps because they wouldn't hire me, well guess who pays for my government assistance, wal-mart among other people, and they're prices go up. if they'd have just hired me, everyone would be happy.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Yeah, one of our drivers lost his license (DUI and speeding) and continued driving for us. He got caught. Of course we fired him. Had he come clear, we most likely would have found a solution. But not telling us, no way he's continue working for us.
                              I already wrote about it here: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=62595
                              Last edited by BeeMused; 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM.
                              No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                              X