This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twofer - headlights and broken-downs

Round One: Going home in the dark, trying to beat the latest round of Icepocalypse - it was dry still, but forecasted to turn icy later that night. I turned right onto the long road that leads to my street. It's suburbs, but kind of rural as well, not lit up, but I know the road. Along comes douchecanoe, turning left right behind me, and then running up to hover two inches from my back bumper, with his high beams on. My car looked like a special-effect with all the glare inside. Oh, gee, what to do? Maybe stick it right at the speed limit and just travel on home... Let douchecanoe sit there revving back and forth with his high beams on. I polarized my rearview and ignored him, and quietly hope his engine falls out.

Round Two: A big WTF with calling police to help folks... I tend to be the person who calls if I see a broken-down on the road and there's no one helping the person. Maroon mini-van, sitting with the hazards on, right in the high-speed lane of the 2-lane highway. Doesn't look like anyone's coming, and I figure I will call. Get the runaround, while they figure out where to transfer me, and I finally get City Cop. City Cop asks for the location (again), and I say between This Exact Exit and Thisother Exact Exit. Well, City Cop wants to argue that there's no such thing as the first exit. Which I take to work every day...(sigh). Finally he says he will dispatch someone to help poor Mister Minivan, so I hope they did.

Previously, I called the cops to help when a full-size 18-wheeler truck with trailer got wedged in a low-bridge opening. A labeled low-bridge opening, but what'cha gonna do if he's already stuck in there? I was transferred between three different agencies, all of whom argued with me about it not being their jurisdiction, tho they were the ones who'd transferred me. I finally told them politely that I'd reported it and they could work it out amongst themselves as to who was going to get Mr Truck un-wedged from the railroad bridge opening.

I'm always polite when I call, and I never call if someone's not in-need...just not much luck with the folks who answer.

I find they can see my middle finger when I'm lit up like that.
    One time I did have an mag light handy and he got the idea to turn them down.
    I've even used the mirror to send it back.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
      I've done that too. I've also been known to go as slow as possible. I don't care if they're right on my ass. I'm not about to go faster if I'm having trouble seeing.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've fantasized about grabbing the laser pointer from my Cat Bag and shining it over my shoulder... But I'm pretty sure that's immensely illegal, as well as being a Very Bad Thing, so I have left it a fantasy.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
          I'm gonna sound like a dummy, but how does one do this? Is it different from flipping the tab up on the rearview mirror? I've toggled my side mirrors before from the inside to send the lights back but I don't like doing that since sometimes I forget to put them back.

Comment

Flipping the tab only changes it to a position that is specifically designed to let less light bounce back toward you.

It takes a lot of aiming to bounce back headlights into the car behind you.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
            X