Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have right of way. Just because I see you looking at me does not mean I cede my right of way. You're not trying to stare down a bull! Besides, if you're locking eyes with me how the hell are you going to explain to the nice officer that you thought it was okay to pull out? I swear if parts for the front end in my car were more readily available, you'd be explaining to your boss why there's a nice new dent in the side of his brand new Mercedes limo!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Dear man bun wearing Moped driving azz clown. Driving 35 in the 55 zone and riding the center lane so no one can pass you does NOT make you a hip, It does how ever make you a target. Good luck dealing with the Base Police as you are on Federal Property.

Sincerely Network admin with friends in the Police cars.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        In the left through lane but wants to get into the right turn lane. So let's stop, put your blinker on and let everyone in the right through lane wizz by while holding up everyone in the left through lane by until you can jump the two lanes. Then give US the single digit salute for honking our horns at your oblivious ass.
        This. SO MUCH.
        It's your mistake; making the rest of us (who know what we're doing) pay for it so you don't have to makes you an asshole of the first degree. You're SO fortunate I'm (generally) a peaceful person.
        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Four words: hang up and drive!
          Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
          They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

So there's this road, and it's a bit narrow, and has street parking. But it has areas where there are no cars using that street parking. So in those places without cars, people like to drive way over where the parking is. (Hopefully that makes sense) But now, oh noes! There are cars *gasp* using the street parking! So you have to move into your lane. But you have no spacial awareness, so you think that you are too close to the parked cars.

Obviously, you have no choice but to come into my lane. I guess you think I will move over and let you by? Well, I won't. One, there may be cars parked on my side, two, I don't like to move over randomly in case there is a bicyclist, and three street parking is not a valid driving lane. The solution is to learn how big your car is and stay in your lane.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Right - I've talked about this junction before, but this time I've prepared visual aids; I apologise in advance for the long post.

Lane discipline. It's really not a complicated process, even with as many options as exist at this particular junction. Exhibit A - the road layout:

There's a lot going on here with the left-right road being a major highway in & out of Central London, and this is the busiest and most complicated junction for a few miles in either direction. That said, there's plenty of signposts and road markings, and traffic heading in from the bottom and then out the top left all tends to be local, so they've no excuse for not knowing how to navigate through it.

The first problem comes from those people that just don't understand their turning circles. They'll pick the right lanes to start from, but then cut up people in the other lanes thus:

The green lines indicate the course a reasonable person would take, the red lines indicate the course chosen by drivers in beaten up econoboxes that think they're the size of a bus.

Still and all, at least they're starting & finishing in the same lane, and eventually do leave room for the other lane to proceed - unlike this lot:

Again, green is good, red is not. All too often, some schmuck will be in the left-most left turn lane heading out of the bottom turning and cut across both lanes to eventually head right at the following turning. This isn't just a dick move, it's against the Highway Code; if you know you're making an immediate right turn after a left, you're supposed to position yourself in the right-hand lane when approaching the first turn of the set.

*screams into jar, seals jar, throws it out the window*
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

RU- Exactly that but in reverse since I am across the pond from you. Tosses *jarred scream out window*

Comment

It's raining. Turn your damned headlights on! Idiots!

(Seriously, about every 5th car or so on my way to work this morning had their headlights off in the rain.)
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Let me guess - the silver, white and grey cars? The ones that disappear into the weather?

Happens here all the time. We get fog - heavy thick fog - nearly daily in winter and some days it doesn't lift at all. And it is always the camo-cars that don't have their lights on.

Comment

Yes, it does seem to be the cars that fade into the background during bad weather that are less likely to have their lights on.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
                        Let me guess - the silver, white and grey cars? The ones that disappear into the weather?

Happens here all the time. We get fog - heavy thick fog - nearly daily in winter and some days it doesn't lift at all. And it is always the camo-cars that don't have their lights on.
                        I tried to "like" this post. They do that here, too. I guess if they figure the world revolves around them then everyone will always see them.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If you're already going under the speed limit, and I honk at you, do NOT slow down even more just to "show" me. No, I don't care that I laid on the horn for 10 straight seconds.. What are you trying to prove? That you don't have anywhere particularly important to be so no one else should either? That you think it's funny to make people late? That you have ridiculously thin skin?

Relevant protip: Unless you drive a BMW or have taller-than-stock tires, your speedometer is probably about 3 MPH fast. When it says you're going 55, you're actually going 52.
                          Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

[not directed to above poster, but to general behavior]

If you tailgate me, I will slow down. If you're blaring your horn at me, thus hampering my ability to process other input, I will slow down. If I judge conditions to be less than optimal (weather, light, heavy traffic, aggressive behavior by other drivers near me), no I won't be speeding up past where I feel is safe.

If a few seconds of time is so critical, perhaps you need better time management skills. Other drivers are not required to endanger themselves because you couldn't get out the door in a timely manner.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

He would not have been endangering himself at the speed limit. There are roads here where it might be smart to slow down in the rain; this was absolutely not one of them. And yes, I do need better time management skills, but once I'm out the door it's a little late.

My take on it is, so what if it's the other guy's own fault he's in a hurry. Slowing down isn't going to solve anything; it's just going to make him even madder and annoy anyone who stacks up behind us too. Unfortunately I'm usually the honker, not the honkee.

It's funny, you know. On main roads, I'm constantly stacked up behind slow drivers who ignore my horn or slow down when I honk. Out on the narrow, twisty mountain roads, I'm constantly getting tailgated and people want to race me.

Then when I'm not in a hurry, I stop watching my speedometer and unconsciously ease up on the pedal 'till I'm at the kind of speeds that make me angry when someone else does them, thus making me feel like a hypocrite when I yell at turtles on my way to work. Maybe that's what's happening with these people too, but if someone honks at me I'm certainly not going to hold them up on purpose.

(Speaking of twisty mountain roads, hey lady, do you really think it's safe to walk down a no-shoulder, 55-mph, lots-of-blind-corners-and-crests road, pushing a stroller with your family sprawled out over almost half the westbound lane?)
                              Last edited by Shotgun Chuck; 07-05-2016, 10:09 PM.
                              Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Comment

Point being, blaring your horn at another driver is a dangerous distraction. When another driver intentionally distracts me from safe driving, I WILL slow down until that problem goes away.
                                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                                X