This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Way Stops: Indecipherable Riddles

Well, a riddle to SOME people. Most people, even. I go through a four way stop every day to and from work. East/West is standard one lane in either direction. North/South is three lanes in either direction. So a left turn lane and two straight lanes.

Now, I'm not picking on people when things get confusing, when more than two people get to the stop at once, I've seen three or four people get to the stop about at the same time. No, I'm talking about nice simple situations. For example today I was driving up to the stop sign and a car on my left comes up and stops before I do. I stop. Another car comes up next to them and stops. (They were on the North/South side) Eventually I got them to go. But whyyyyy, why were they letting me go when they had the right of way? The person on the right only has the right of way when two cars stop simultaneously. We did not. The other car got there first. Thus the "person on the right" rule doesn't apply.

This sort of nonsense happens so much, I start to worry I'm going crazy, and maybe don't know what I'm talking about. Nobody does anything correctly, or even consistently. For example, the same day I saw one person stop, then go, and the person behind them zipped right though hugging the first car's bumper. I used to see that a lot in my old town, too.

Anyways, it's just annoying because it really doesn't need to be this hard. But legit I think people look at these intersections like a free for all.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I cannot resist posting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-nvo4BzOM
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

People + stop signs = mass confusion.

On my commute, I go through a 4-way intersection with a 3-way stop. There are a bunch of people who either stop in the lane that has no stop sign or, when in one of the other 3 lanes, they get bent out of shape because someone in the no stop lane does not stop.

I got a ride with a coworker recently who was going on about people not stopping - when there wasn't a stop sign in their lane - so I set her straight. She was befuddled that it was a 3-way stop. She demanded to know when they took out the 4th stop sign. I had to inform her that there has never been one in that intersection for at least the last 4 decades. Given I grew up here and learned to drive here, I'm in a good position to know. Coworker insisted that I was wrong and it was absolutely there 2 weeks ago because she had to stop for it when coming from <other city>.

Comment

They had an intersection like that near where I live. It was actually three way, with two of them stopping.

I think the city got tired of the complaints, because it's now a three-way stop. Which backs traffic up out onto the expressway from time to time, which was why that direction didn't used to have a stop.

It was very embarrassing to notice the new stop direction only as I was partway through the intersection without stopping.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
        X