This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Dude

With finally seeing some warmer, sunny weather, all kinds of bikes are reappearing on the roads. Motorcycles included, and since I live in an area with long, uninterrupted stretches of road, they like to come out my way. No problem...usually.

I was on the way home from work and the car in front of me made it through the changing light on a single lane road, but it was solid red for me and I stopped. There was a Motorcycle Dude three or four cars behind me. I hear him cycle and rev his engine and he comes screaming up my left side. Silly me, I thought he was heading for the left turn lane there. Many folks in cars and on bikes will ease over the double yellow a bit to get into that turn lane, so they get a left-turn arrow when the light changes.

Not this dude, nope... He screams through the solid red light. My jaw dropped, and he was missed by seconds as cars with the green light came down that road and through that intersection. As chance would have it, he ended up right ahead of me. I caught up with him at the next big intersection. Young guy, with some kind of body armor, jeans and big boots. None of which would help with an oncoming car that doesn't know he's planning on running the red light.

The light was red for us again, and there is one lane going straight and one much-longer left-turn lane. He was ahead of me in the straight lineup. He shifted and fussed and hopped around on his bike, like he had ants in his pants. Then, when the left-turners got their green arrow, he decided, "Going thataway!" and cut off all of them, no turn-signal, just revved it up and slammed in front of the whole lot of traffic. I should have gotten his plate, but thought he'd learned his lesson from the earlier near miss...

Quoth Yurimaru View Post
    Young guy, with some kind of body armor, jeans and big boots. None of which would help with an oncoming car that doesn't know he's planning on running the red light.
    No helmet? He's a donorcyclist!

Comment

Darwin rules may take that one, and I'd feel... not much at all. (Humanity's gene pool would be just a little healthier) The ones I would shed a tear for are the others tangled up in his wreckage.
      Young and immortal.... well, except for that embarrassing mess at the end.

Hope he doesn't mess up his donatable organs too much.

Comment

I live fairly close to the Tail of the Dragon. I was told it was very busy today and expect it to be busy tomorrow. I wonder how long before someone gets killed up there.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I would be astonished if nobody had died there yet. Too many idiots like me who want to go around the curves too fast.

Yeah, a lot of people have died there so far....

https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/tail...dragon-deaths/
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I nearly saw a motorcyclist off himself this morning. Don't these guys realize that the throttle works both ways, and there's no need to do triple digits in rush-hour traffic?

This morning, I'm minding my own business, in the middle lane of the parkway (I-376) heading into town. Rather than make the loop across the Point to head north, I usually take the Blvd of the Allies. Less traffic and shorter distance. Like most people on the Blvd, I stay in the left lane, to avoid the constant string of people slamming on the brakes to turn down the side streets. But, before I even make it to the Blvd's ramp, along came The Douche on the Bike. He's already well over 90, passing us like we're standing still, cuts into line about 2-3 cars ahead of me. By then, most traffic (myself included) has moved into the left lane.

Apparently, his nads just blinded him, so he floored it. Bike takes off, but what's this? Now he has to turn right, and he's in the wrong lane, and has to get over. Rather than simply get over when it's safe, he decided to chance it. He could have easily gone another block or two, moved over, then made his turn. Instead, he whipped his bike into the right lane...and nearly got himself squeezed between a *very* large dump truck, and a Buick.

That car, along with everyone else in the left lane nailed the brakes, to avoid making a huge mess. Ever see someone give their ABS a serious workout? There's nothing like watching a huge sedan smoke its tires and waddle from side to side. At least I was able to punch it and get ahead of her, as even though I was two lengths behind...I'd have been pushed into the median (or even through it) into oncoming traffic. All because someone chose to think with the wrong head.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              I live fairly close to the Tail of the Dragon. I was told it was very busy today and expect it to be busy tomorrow. I wonder how long before someone gets killed up there.
              If I ever get back down there I'll have to say hi.

click for bigger badder pic
              Last edited by EricKei; 05-05-2018, 02:08 PM.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                If I ever get back down there I'll have to say hi.
                Nice car, mighty heavy ride for that road. My brother is going to try out his Goat this weekend on some sort streetkana race thing and maybe later on the Dragon. I'm gonna stay at the house in the dry.
                Last edited by EricKei; 05-05-2018, 02:06 PM.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                  Young and immortal.... well, except for that embarrassing mess at the end.
                  That about sums it up. He figures this type of idiocy has always worked before, so of course it will always continue to work for him.

I agree: no sympathy at all for this type of asshat. I do feel sorry for all the collateral damage he may cause, though.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

As a motorcycle dudette, I would like to say that idiot bikers like that just tick me the heck off. They are the ones who make people hate all of us non-idiot riders. They are a broad brush that splatters on a lot of good people.

I can hit over 140 mph in less than a 1000 yards and can creep up to 165 and hold until I run out of gas. Wanna know how often I do that off track? NEVER!!! Cause I'm not a jerk or an idiot. I've also been riding for 43 years and have never been hit by another driver.

Be predictable people, it can save your life.

Comment

You mean, following the rules and driving the way one is expected to? But how can you pretend to be a rebel if you behave yourself? How can you rob him of his impending death by blaze of glory crash simply because you want drivers to respect cyclists.

Next thing you know, you'll proclaim that red lights mean stop, and yellow means . . .
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                      X