X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out for fake cops

Kinda CIO, but also Roadkill

Presenting -- Our favorite copyright attorney and -- in part -- what NOT to do when a fake cop pulls you over (by his own admission):

Fake Cop Pulled Me Over, Tried to Beat Me Up (and what I did)
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

DFUQ?

OK I didn't have sound on and skipped his face talk but where was the "pull over"
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

The "cop" car was flashing some blue lights that were installed on the dashboard of his vehicle (just after 2 minutes in), and had (what I think was) a placard next to them that read "POLICE"

(PS, he has a link to the raw footage, no commentary, down in the dooblydoo)
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you...but I certainly wouldn't have been stopping. Cops here don't tool around in silver Infinitis, even the ones in expensive neighborhoods. No, I'd have floored it, and called 911 that some idiot was trying to pull me over.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My brother used to be a prison guard (sorry, "corrections officer"). One of his coworkers installed flashing blue-and-reds in his personal vehicle and would pull people over wearing his corrections uniform. He wouldn't (couldn't) write tickets, just gave what amounted to verbal warnings. Nothing major... but still impersonating a police officer. Someone eventually called the real police on him, and let's just say that he's not a corrections officer any more.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            I don't know about the rest of you...but I certainly wouldn't have been stopping. Cops here don't tool around in silver Infinitis, even the ones in expensive neighborhoods. No, I'd have floored it, and called 911 that some idiot was trying to pull me over.
            Amen, brother. Amen.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              I don't know about the rest of you...but I certainly wouldn't have been stopping.
              Yup. Hence his decision to GTFO pretty much as soon as he HAD pulled into a spot

Comment

I remember a few years ago, when someone in a white sedan was pulling people over at night. Got to the point that nobody was stopping for *legit* officers. They'd assume it was a fake, and take off. The borough actually stopped pulling people over for a bit, and quit using unmarked cars for traffic duty.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

To the best of my understanding – If any one is/knows someone in law enforcement, please advise – If you're in a situation where you suspect that a fake cop is trying to pull you over, police expect you to drive to the nearest police station and park in front of it, and that there will be no repercussions for doing so. Is that the case?

Comment

My only problem with that is - I'm not sure I've lived near ANY police station in decades! I live about 2 miles from city hall right now, and this may be the closest I've been to a real functioning 'police station' in decades! I've lived where the county sheriffs did the policing for years and years, more years than I've lived where there were actual cops with City Name on the cars, and I think it's been decades since I knew where the station was. That has, at times, been frightening. There have been a few times when I absolutely would have driven to/into the police station if I'd had any idea where the hell it was.

I never got pulled over by fake cops, but I've absolutely been harassed by idiots out being stupid behind the wheel who have followed me to the point where I wouldn't go home for a while. Being single and female has its terrifying moments...

Comment

It just occurred to me to ASK a cop friend of mine about this. Here was his response:

Call 911 and explain situation. If it's an officer they'll know. You can advise them your intentions of stopping in a safe well lit public place

But drive to the pd might not be an option if you dont know where it is. And you'll definitely get charged w/ not stopping for lights

In other words, it need not be the actual PD Calling 911 to confirm is the important part, as they'll advise the officer of your concern.

Comment

This thread inspired me to look up the location of the nearest police station. (I knew the location of the second-nearest, due to it being near one particular highway exit.) I wonder whether a fire station would qualify as a safe well-lit public place. Those are generally easier to find due to having to be right on major streets.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                          Being single and female has its terrifying moments...
                          Now there's a masterly piece of understatement.

Comment

I have been known to drive onto a military base to shelter from my ex [now deceased yay!] stalker, I had DoD stickers and he didn't. Even if you aren't military, you could probably shelter by the guard kiosk in a pinch, as long as you don't go fully on base and have the sentry call base security you should be ok.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Update -- they just arrested the fake cop in question, but he made bail.

https://youtu.be/vsdzVOWTRz8?t=4m

Long stream, but the link jumps to the important part (the charges brought against him)
                              Last edited by EricKei; 08-29-2018, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X