This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Nurian View Post
    I'm getting tired of the mental constipation (sorry for the metaphor there) that seems to keep me from just sitting down and writing
    Be careful how you deal with it - after all, you don't want to wind up with diarrhea of the mouth.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I mentioned it on another thread, I think... One effective way of getting through a mental block is to write something *deliberately bad*. Something you may wish to try.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        I mentioned it on another thread, I think... One effective way of getting through a mental block is to write something *deliberately bad*. Something you may wish to try.
        Works for me. I once had terrible mental block issues, so I wrote a horrible Mary Sue story. Later on, I went back and turned it into a comedy parody; waste not, want not! XD

I currently am working on two fanfiction stories; both need to be finished so I can start a new project. I am just progressing a little bit at a time cuz nothing makes me get a mental block more than thinking that I have to bang out an entire chapter.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post

I currently am working on two fanfiction stories; both need to be finished so I can start a new project. I am just progressing a little bit at a time cuz nothing makes me get a mental block more than thinking that I have to bang out an entire chapter.
          I've got several on my list that I'm trying to work on myself. And I've run into similar issues, but what I'm doing is working on what I feel like and then going back to insert stuff (had part of a major story in a previous version and I'm using a couple of parts of that into the current version.)

I'm now at the point pretty much where I'm ready to start fresh from where what I copied in left off on one story. Last night, I wrote a short scene that's basically the ending to a series of shorts that would be considered a prequel for my first major story (written several years back.)

Don't ask how I keep it all straight in my head . . . all I know are the voices in my head are talking ten miles a minute.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I know what you mean. XD For the first story, I know what's going to happen in the last few chapters; I've planned it all out in my head for ages and I just need to find the time to get it down in writing. For the second, I've planned it to be a shorter story with just five chapters, but again, I know how it ends. A lot of the time, it's just finding the spare moments to type out the story.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              One of the best things is to schedule a time every day to sit down and write SOMETHING. It can be the most dog-awful drivel, it doesn't matter. Write SOMETHING. Every day, at the same time every day. It isn't easy, not by a long, long shot, but the things that wind up really being worthwhile are seldom easy.
              I should try that i keep putting off a story I've been writing since early June maybe
              ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

Quoth darkroxas45 View Post
                I should try that i keep putting off a story I've been writing since early June maybe
                I've got stories that have been started stored on my HDD that were started back over 10 years ago.

It's only been in the past few weeks that I've actually took the time to try to get back to work on those - I'll start and then stop b/c of not having the time.

Which I really need to stop doing - I really should take the time to do something every day if not close to it.

And then there's those times where I question myself wondering what the point to all of it is. But then I remind myself that I'm doing it for me. Doesn't matter that they'll likely never been published (in the traditional sense.) Maybe they'll be discovered one day after I'm gone and then maybe they'll become popular, who knows?

All I know is I've had these voices in my head and they won't stop. . . .
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  I've got stories that have been started stored on my HDD that were started back over 10 years ago.
                  I had one I started in high school and put down for 6-7 years then picked back up and finished after changing a few things.

Comment

I had one I started in high school and put down for 6-7 years then picked back up and finished after changing a few things.
                    I've been writing that long myself - just don't have the original 6 stories I had completed (got disgusted and tossed them out not long before Grad due to constantly being put down by certain "family" members for my hobby I could kick myself.)

But after changing around some of the background on major characters (mainly the two female leads - made them slightly younger than they were originally, which makes everything a bit more of a scandal) and also added in some rather interesting in-laws, you've got quite a family running around trying to save the world from calamity.

So those original 6 wouldn't have worked at all but the ones I'm working on (and I did have a few shorts from my high school days but I've lost all but one and I'll rewrite that one due to a change in one of the supporting characters' relation to the two female leads was changed some years after that version was written.)

But yeah, it's an evolutionary process nonetheless. I used to be somewhat self conscious about my writing but as I've gotten older, I'm not so sensitive about it.

I'll just simply tell people I have a bunch of voices in my head and they're usually arguing w/each other (true at times - the two sisters are the ones who are bickering one minute and then the next trying to get each other out of something they had no business doing.)

Comment

Find a song or songs that you consider a character's theme. Helps you get in the right frame of mind.

I like Hellfire for obsessed lover, Painted Smile for the mad general...etc
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I gotta sit down and write and learn to draw decent proportions. I draw, get disgusted, then give up even though I know I need to keep trying

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          Find a song or songs that you consider a character's theme. Helps you get in the right frame of mind.

I like Hellfire for obsessed lover, Painted Smile for the mad general...etc
                          IE, mood music.

When I was writing the first part of my first novella several years ago, I was listening to "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Gladys Knight & The Pips.

Anytime Lynda and Brenda are doing somethin that's likely to get them in trouble, it's "Hold On, I'm Coming" by Sam & Dave (anybody see the scene in the Blues Brothers where Elwood and Jake are pulled over and Elwood hands over his license right before he speeds off? That was the song playing in the 8 track player.)

The current story I"m working on is more like "Third Rock From The Sun"

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            I've been writing that long myself - just don't have the original 6 stories I had completed (got disgusted and tossed them out not long before Grad due to constantly being put down by certain "family" members for my hobby I could kick myself.)
                            This was "write, put down, not touch for a few years, not write at all, pick up, finish, post"

Comment

This was "write, put down, not touch for a few years, not write at all, pick up, finish, post"
                              Every situation's different. I really got back into it after I started going online and started my fan site (late 90's) and had some short stuff up.

However, working on a longer story takes quite a bit . . . where I was churning out a few stories that were around 50-60 pages in length, now I'm trying to go into more detail and the first one finished was close to 200 pages.

I'm estimating the same with the current one . . . it's hard to tell. Either way some days I can write a page or two, other days I can't seem to type three sentences.

It'll get finished. Already have close to 40 pages now and maybe 1/3 way done.

Comment

Working...
                              X