This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Update on My Stepsister!

Some of you will remember this whole thing with my stepsister from a while back.

Well, while she is still in the care facility, she is now back on Facebook, using a cool software program that allows her to "type" with her voice. Voice recognition software or something. It's called Dragon, if I remember correctly. This allows for her speech therapist to work with her on her speech, but it also allows those of us that don't live near her (which are most of us) to "visit” with her from time to time. She'll post various statuses or comments on Facebook, as we all do, and response to same. There are times that it seems very much like talking to her the way she was before the incident, which is unbelievably cool.

A little bright spot to the average Wednesday.

That is all.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

That is great news! I'm not sure using Facebook is a sign of higher brain function though. Trust me. :-)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Making strides every day, it looks like. That's wonderful.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Fantastic news!
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
          That is great news! I'm not sure using Facebook is a sign of higher brain function though. Trust me. :-)
          Using Facebook? No. Using it to converse with people all around the country? Yes.

The good news is, unlike most of us, it's unlikely to deteriorate her brain any further.

(Yes, I can and will make sick jokes like that regarding my stepsister. Why? Because (a) that's kind of how I'm wired, and more importantly (b) it's the kind of joke she'd make herself, or get a kick out of. She's about as politically correct as I am. Which is to say not at all. So if anyone has a problem with the above joke, take it up with my stepsister. A word of advice, though: duck.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

The software is most likely Dragon Naturally Speaking. Don't know how good it is or anything, just the name of the most prominent of the programs.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Awesome news! Glad you and your step sister are able to communicate on FB. Glad she's recovered enough to do so.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Yay, sis!

(damn character requirements . . .)

Comment

dragon naturally speaking is an awesome program.

Comment

That is awesome news!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the great news, Jester!

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

That is such awesome news! She's making excellent progress!
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I know it's Dragon something. Beyond that, I have no idea. Since this information was relayed to me by my mother, who's memory makes mine look brilliant by comparison. So anything beyond "Dragon" and "voice recognition software" was lost to the ether, if Mom ever even heard anything beyond that. (The staff at the care center probably just called it Dragon and left it that, as neither of my parents are very techy, and wouldn't really care about the full name, etc.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            I know it's Dragon something. ...
                            Dragon Speak
                            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Probably Dragon Naturally Speaking
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X