This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got What I Asked For

This weekend, I obtained more proof that a person doesn't need to whine and complain and fling insults and threaten to sue or any of that. Sometimes, if you want something, all you have to do is ask.

I did the online chat with a customer service rep at my cell phone provider. I told him straight up: "I'm fishing for discounts today. The family budget is getting rather tight, and I'm just looking to save a few bucks here and there. Is there anything you can do to my account that could reduce my monthly bill?"

The customer service rep was very friendly and understood what I was asking for. In summary, his response was: "I don't know. Let me look." (pause) "Why, yes, there is something we can do. Here are the details."

I extended my contract by one year (I've been with this provider for 11 years, so what's one more, especially since I wasn't planning to switch anyway?), and made a slight modification to my plan. And then the CSR added on a monthly discount. He said it was going to be $15 off per month for a year, but he managed to make it $20 off instead.

I couldn't thank him enough! And all I had to do was ask...
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Isn't it funny how simply treating someone like a human being can result in something good? I was buying some clothes the other day, and the cashier gave me a % off total purchase without me knowing or asking for it, and I was really happy.

I know that when someone is nice I will try harder for them. If they're mean I just do the bare minimum. For example "No, there's none in the back" is a true statement, but I could go further and offer a alternate product, or see if any is on order, or something. But not for a SC.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Sometimes it's good to be open without making it a sob story. I've at times said that I'm trying to choose between 2 legitimate needs and a CSR has been able to help me by reversing a penalty or something like that. Most people aren't without at least some compassion; they may be struggling themselves. The economy is bad all over.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Just done the same with my bank. In the fuss of paying off several different debts, paying a large rent payment AND starting fees on buying a flat I mucked up and went overdrawn.

A quick nice call to the bank confirming that the cheque in question would go through and the assistant saw it was my first time and stopped the overdraft fees etc going through. No pleading just a "if you can waive them it would be appreciated but I realise it was my own fault..."
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Yep. I went in to it with the attitude of just wanting to ask. If there was nothing they could do, my response would have been, "Thanks anyway."

When I sold computers, people often asked if I could give them discounts. I didn't mind that a bit. It's when they would get whiny and/or demanding if there were no discounts that I started to get frustrated.

I'm going to try the same thing with the cable company next chance I get.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Working...
          X