This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop calling me!!

Working in my own office away from customers is pretty awesome. I rarely go into the store, and when I do, I look like a customer since I don't have to dress up at all. but I get phone calls that drive me insane. when someone dials 411 and asks for our store, the operator gets 3 numbers... and of course... mine is the first on the list. so they figure I can transfer then (which I can't) and send them my way. most of the time I just give them the store number and thats that. but sometimes I get these gems. (note, this isn't in the sucky customer section because this guy isn't a customer)

Me: meee
    CG: call guy

*Ring ring*
    Me: hello, Fancy stuff shipping department, how may I help you?
    CG: Hi, I was calling for Insurence unlimited bullshitters and I wanted to clear some information with you.
    Me: well I... (cuts me off before I can tell him I am not the owner or in the store)
    CG: great. I wanted to ask what the address is of the store and if these phone numbers match what is listed
    Me: (ok.. I can do that...) alright
    CG: lists off info
    Me: yea that's right, but I... (cuts me off again)
    CG: excellent! ok, I also need to varify your account number with us, if you can just tell me the last 3 digits.
    Me: I don't have that, you called the...
    CG: oh well date of birth is fine
    Me: no, I mean I am not the owner
    CG: oh... can you transfer me please?
    Me: sorry, I can't. I can give you the store number though, it's actually the secon..
    CG: can you just varify the owner is Joe Shmoe?
    Me: I don't really want to actually... this is his thing and I don't want to be held for any mess ups. here, just call the second number you read off.
    CG: ok, thanks anyway!
    Me: no problem.

2 minutes later *RING RING*
    Me: same speech
    CG: Hi Joe shmoe?
    Me: uh.. no you called the same number again.
    CG: I'm sure I dialed the right one... ok... what is it again
    Me: 555-5555. just ask for joe, one of the store clerks will most likely answer.
    CG: ok thanks.

5 Minutes later *ring ring* (this time i see the info and know its him)
    Me: wrong number again...
    CG: no I called the other one and it made fax noises
    Me: (crap... they need a seperate line for that crap) ok... call the other number then (why he didn't just do that with three numbers on him I don't know)
    CG: can't you just varify this for me?
    Me: "sigh" what do I need to varify?...
    CG: name, date of birth, and insurence plan
    Me: no you'll have to call him
    CG: why?
    Me: why? I don't have any of that information. this is shipping and photography, all the files that would be for you are in the store.
    CG: ok.. I'll call the other number then.
    Me: great.

turns out the guy was a telemarketer that starts the speech off to make it seem like he was our insurence. then once he knows our plan he tries to sell a cheaper on that he can offer us over the phone. I was really pissed about that and kept note of the company name and to never answer the phone for them... they call every... single... week.

That almost sounds like something that happens sometimes with the church's on-site preschool/daycare center - they've got a different number and phone system, so I can't transfer calls over to their building. However, apparently their staff sometimes gives out our office number instead of theirs, so I get people calling thinking they're going to reach someone at the preschool.

Comment

If you're not expecting the call, never verify anything for anyone. It is most likely a scam. Oftentimes people will answer a call like this and then receive a shipment of vastly overpriced paper, toner, or the like. When disputed, they play a recording of the employee saying yes to one of their questions as proof you did in fact order it.

Comment

Working...
      X