This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
    "r" "u" and "ur" irritates me to no end.

"Srsly" I rarely, if ever, see. "OMG" and "ZOMG" are fine, along with "lol" and "rofl"

The rest.... still irritates me. -_-'
    A while back I was chatting with some folks, and there was a girl in the 13-16 age range (I can never tell ages). Someone said something, I forget what, and girl says "OMG really?"

She did not say oh my god.

She said OH EM GEE.

Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
    This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
    Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
    -Switchfoot

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
      A while back I was chatting with some folks, and there was a girl in the 13-16 age range (I can never tell ages). Someone said something, I forget what, and girl says "OMG really?"

She did not say oh my god.

She said OH EM GEE.

Yeah... some of my friends spell out OMG. It makes me sad.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Colleague recently said 'meh' out loud in the canteen. Not sure if I should be scared or not.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oddly enough, "Meh" was an accepted "word" when I was living in New Mexico. Everyone said it, even the housekeepers at my work (EconoLodge).

Weirdness Abounds.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

One of the Bring It On sequels (the one with the chick from Heroes) has all the cheerleaders speaking "IM"...drove me nuts to watch (I have two 13-year-old second cousins - and they're cheerleaders but they don't talk like that as far as I know).

I was reading a letter on PFB last night (don't remember which) and the person used the word "ludacris".....

ludicrous: causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

Ludacris: a three-time Grammy Award-winning American rapper and actor; real name Christopher Bridges (born September 11, 1977)

/hey, that's my cousin's birthday!
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

*hits her buzzer* What is a Xenophobe, Alex?

Comment

These xenophobic morons give us a bad name. Learn to deal with accents, twits. It's not that hard if you TRY.

Oh, right, they're whiny losers ... nevermind.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

i do understand the issue with not being able to understand accents, but thats just a flaw of mine, I think i'm hard of hearing.

but yeah xenophobia is just as bad as racism. basically it boils down to a buncha ignorant people being well, ignorant.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    These xenophobic morons give us a bad name. Learn to deal with accents, twits. It's not that hard if you TRY.

Oh, right, they're whiny losers ... nevermind.
                    I don't know about that. It's been my experience that the people who go to the YMCA and deal with me at work, who, if you talk to them, just immigrated here, have no job with any decent pay/hours, have several kids to take care of, and can't afford to go anywhere BUT the Y, have made attempts to dull their accents, and make themselves understandable. On the other hand, the professors, who have full time jobs which are based in CONVEYING INFORMATION TO AN ENGLISH SPEAKING PUBLIC, and who have been here for 5-10+ years, still have terribly heavy, near indiscernible accents.

I have no problem with people who have accents, it's a natural part of learning a new language, I just find that the people who are nicest about making things easier for people who do not posses the same accent are those with no reason to be, and so I can understand the idea that someone who had to deal with one of those people who has made no effort to make the accent understandable to a non-(insert nationality here) would have trouble figuring out what the guy was saying.
                    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Colleague recently said 'meh' out loud in the canteen. Not sure if I should be scared or not.
                      I say it all the time.

I say lots of things all the time.

I try to avoid "internet speak" as often as possible...and it irritates me to know end when friends of mine use it. I'm trying to lead by example, however.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X