This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI adapters

We recently got a Steam Link and were looking forward to hooking it up. Only problem is, the Steam Link only has HDMI output, and our TV only has RCA and Coaxial inputs.

Our local electronics stores are clueless on the subject, so can anyone recommend a good HDMI-to-RGB5 adapter/converter? Preferably around $30 or less.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

IIRC, the Xbox 360 came with a cord that had HDMI output but was split into both RGB and HDMI input, so you could use either. It might be worth looking into.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Try monoprice.com -- They usually have good deals on cables and other electronic dealies.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Here's a whole list to peruse:

http://www.monoprice.com/search/inde...0rca%20adapter

I may spend too much time on there >.>
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

A TV with only RCA and Coax inputs is probably very old and low-resolution (about 640x480). Good luck getting modern games to run at that size.

Anyway, fundamentally HDMI is a digital interface, sending chains of numbers to represent colours at each pixel. RCA is an analogue interface, requiring variable voltages along scanlines. To convert from one to the other, you'll need an "active adapter" which isn't likely to be anywhere near as cheap as the passive one you can use to convert DVI to HDMI or VGA (or vice versa).

You may honestly be better off getting a new, high-resolution TV or monitor with a modern HDMI input.

Comment

Well, problem solved.

After Chromatix's post, I looked up the model number to confirm the TV's specs, because I was pretty sure it was 1080p, since the PS3 ran fine on the rgb5 connection.

And then Amazon said it had HDMI.

We looked around the back, and yeah, there it was. A bit off to the side and up in the corner of the inputs panel, impossible to see unless you were basically lying on the floor behind it, but it had one.

And the Steam Link works.

So, thanks for the input everyone, but turns out we were good to go if I'd looked a bit harder.
            » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Working...
            X