Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They're persistent, I'll give 'em that...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're persistent, I'll give 'em that...

M$ is still trying to download Win10 onto my machine (despite repeated "DO NOT WANT" at the EULA stage the few times it has tried to install in secret). I've identified only one 'important' update that could be the culprit (KB3124280), unchecking that doesn't change much in that while the filesize for the Win10 "upgrade" is smaller, it still tries to download.

The WU control panel does say that I have an upgrade "reserved" but I already dumped it to a flash drive using M$' own tool for that so why is that still showing up? I've tried installing the updates one...at...a...time...but each one no matter what it is--even the Malicious Software Removal Tool--tried to download 10 (maybe Ubuntu is the 'malicious software' Win10 will remove).

I did find a script to remove the problematic updates once they're there, but I really don't want another stealth install of 10 (which seems to be the outcome no matter what).

Any ideas, or should I just install them, go "DO NOT WANT" again and run the script?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

To disable Windows 10 upgrade:

(1) Download the attached file (disablew10upgrade.txt).

(2) Rename the file from .txt to .reg

(3) Right-click the file and select "Merge".

That should fix it for you.
    Attached Files

Comment

I figured they would have quit pestering people after the freebie time had passed. Guess not. Thanks, TheSHADOW!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know there are several tools out there to "control" the Win X update thing.

One that I know of (not used it myself not yet) is GWXcontrolpanel. Googling it will give you a few d/l sites
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

All I can say is, do not upgrade to 10 under any circumstances. They've made it so you can no longer turn off updates period. That's what bricked my last laptop (an update triggered Bitlocker because it ballsed something up)

My new laptop is Win7 Pro and updates are now and forever turned off.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

What I've done on my Win7 installs is to turn off the option which reads "Give me Recommended Updates the same way as Security Updates" (or words very similar to those). All of the nagware seems to be in the Recommended Updates category.

Comment

I thought the nag would be gone after the freebie expired too (probably deactivates itself within 10 days if you don't enter a credit card)...thanks, shadow! I can pass this on to a few friends too.

My dad upgraded to 10, and he says he hasn't had any issues but I just don't like it at all (and no, not just because' it looks odd'). This household is going Linux before we let Windows 10 anywhere near the computers.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X