This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling laptop mouse without original software

So, recently my laptop's hard drive failed and I had to have it replaced, which meant a fresh Windows installation, too. Unfortunately, it has an extremely sensitive touchpad mouse that I keep accidentally bumping while I type and moving focus off of where I'm typing. I used to have it disabled, but when they re-installed Windows 7, the install didn't include any of HP's software — like the Synaptics mouse software.

It works, but I no longer have any ability to disable it.

So, any advice on disabling the touchpad directly, or how to get that software back? All I've seen online have been drivers.

For the record, this is my laptop, but the hard drive had been replaced with a 1TB Seagate.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Don't know about HP, but on ThinkPad laptops you can go into the BIOS setup and disable the touchpad, the "red stick", or both. Worth a try.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Download and install generic driver package from the Synaptics website. It will include the control panel.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

My dad always tapes a thickness or two of 3x5 file card, cut to fit, over the touchpad.

I'm pretty sure that you could look up your model laptop on HP website and manually download all the drivers you want for it. I have for the Compaq Presario SR5030NX (Nov 2006) I'm using right now.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Function + F5 generally disables the touch-pad. Sometimes it is not F5 but F4 or F6 the icon on the button you want will look like a touch-pad.

You will need to have the HP specific drivers installed for the touch-pad for this to work.

Comment

Another option is to use the Device Manager control panel to disable it. That should work if no other options are available.

Comment

Yup, device manager in control panel, under "Human Interface Devices". It should specifically list the touchpad. Right-click, "disable".

Comment

Working...
              X