Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crafting help please? (bottle caps and acetone)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crafting help please? (bottle caps and acetone)

UPDATE see latest post i has shiney pictures of success! (6/7/12)

working with bottle caps and about to try making shineys (pic links coming)
    and working with memory wire and beads or jewel beads

FIRST bottle caps!
    i was given pre-labeled bottle caps with the glue in them. tried heating the bottle cap and then peeling the glue seal off, it doesn't work. so would soaking it in acetone work for the glue seal AND the pre-labeled cap? and can i get acetone at a craft store or hardware store or is nail polish remover the same thing? and what is a good brand of paint for metals? the first thing that came to mind was the paint used for model cars and planes and such that are metal...but again i don't know

bottle cap examples
    glue seal and pile of caps
    practicing with nail polish which was a bad idea because i would need to do a coat of top seal which in the end costs more for all the colors i want

and i have memory wire and fishing line to make bracelets with the wire and necklaces with the line as fishing line is more durable than some of the other wires and line in the necklace section and i figured there is a weight limit so obviously not heavy stones or beads or what not but is this a good idea?

and just to make sure i am doing it right with the "shineys" that i spell that way on purpose get a clear stone that is used when decoration a vase for fake flowers to imitate water or what not, get a big one, put it over the image i want, cut the image out with an exacto knife or scissors if need be, glue image to stone, put background color/paper is need be if there are blank spots left behind the image, glue magnet behind the image and presto instant "shiney" magnet

someone suggested filing down the image corners to prevent sharp edges depending on the material. the image shown/linked looks like they took the paper that used to be sold to put on the bottom of kitchen cabinets for color and what not. only the old school paper where you take the back cover off and slap the paper down and it sticks. (best reference i can think of i thought this was for the bottom of the cabinet not the way its used but what do i know? lol
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Midnight12; 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM.

Not sure what you mean by "glue seal". Can't say of the acetone will work.

Acetone can be found in most any store that sells paint supplies. Most fingernail polish remover have an acetone base. They may not work as well as straight acetone. Some may work better. Not all are acetone based.

Most enamel paints will work well on the bottle caps such as those small jars of model paints and spray paints. Clean them thoroughly.

Fish line comes in a number of weights. A 20lb test is still pretty thin. A couple pounds of rocks will not be a problem.

Good luck and have fun!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

with bottle caps that go on beer bottles or other things there is a seal of glue on it
      where its just the plain cap with no logo or color to it unless its dyed or specific type there is no seal

added pictures
      i do know not all nail polish removers have acetone but as i have a kid in the house i don't want some chemicals in her reach and thank you!
      i only knew of fishing line from fishing with my dad as a kid and my mom's suggestion i didn't know they came in strengths or weight limits but figured there was some way to measure them

Comment

The seal on the inside of the cap. Personally, I would not call it "glue" but at least I know for sure what you are referring to.

I use to pop them out with a small screw driver. Then again, that has been a while. Don't know what problems may exist with a modern bottle cap.

I don't think the acetone will help.

How hot did you get them? My thoughts would be a couple of minutes in boiling water.
        Last edited by csquared; 06-01-2012, 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Midnight12 View Post
          with bottle caps that go on beer bottles or other things there is a seal of glue on it
          where its just the plain cap with no logo or color to it unless its dyed or specific type there is no seal
          I found this video, and a person on a crefting forum suggested putting them in the freezer for 20 minutes then "popping them off with a screwdriver". Apparently some use a heat gun as well.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I agree that you may be able to just peel that seal out with a little prying. As for the printing, you might try denatured alcohol, which you can get at hardware stores. We often use it in theater for stripping dye off of shoes before recoloring them.

Please keep in mind that both acetone and denatured alcohol have toxic and flammable fumes. You'll want to keep them off your skin (wear gloves and safety glasses) and work in a well ventilated area, outside if possible.
            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

i was heating it too long because i went to pull it off with the screwdriver and instead of pulling it scrapped. and someone suggested in another forum if i don't have a mug warmer use the heating part of a coffee maker and i did that and counted to ten. i will try one more time. thank you for the advice BlaqueKatt

was aware of that i needed to ventilate and wear gloves with acetone, but may try the denatured alcohol instead just to get the dye off. thank you Draper Mel

I tried the boiling water too, no such luck

EDIT in the link of the pile of caps some of them look like they have a mess of seal in them, those are the ones where i heated too much and it melted

Comment

UPDATE:
                tried using the coffee pot hot plate counted to 7 seconds, 10, 12, 14, 15 and 17
                tried using different screw drivers, pick devices tweezers everything its a thick hard tough plastic and i am just going to either get the stuff to dissolve it or put the images over it and deal with it and paint over the cap logo as its cheaper this way

Comment

My family has been doing beaded jewelry for longer than I've been alive (over 4 decades), and for stringing their heavier items, they use Tiger Tail with standard crimps. Fishing line can become brittle over time, and can stretch and/or break. However, if stretching is desired, then Tiger Tail is definitely not what you want.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

thank you Andara! that helps. was going to stick with memory wire specifically for bracelets and if i want to do necklaces i will go with Tiger Tail when I am done with chains.

trying to get beads colored for ponys. say for example Apple Jack
                    mostly orange and yellow, a bit of red and white. Orange and yellow for her coat, eyes, mane and tail, Red for her apples cutie mark and hair band and white for the freckles and so on. the red and MAYBE tinge of green for the stems would be the center of the bracelet, followed by orange and then yellow. with white in the middle. and if i can an apple shaped charm or what have you (or a bottle cap cutie mark) if i put it right it would look like fire, if i switch out the stones like orange, white, yellow, red green it would work. this is off the top of my head.

right now focusing on my bottle caps and shiney stones as i may not be able to do the bracelets until later this summer due to costs

Comment

pokemons, some random left over images from the pony bottle caps, butterflies and disney images with the copyright logo in there for legal proof etc (i bought the sticker book so there)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X