Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I wrong, or is my sister being a raving bitch?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jester, your sister sounds a bit like mine--she acts nice to everyone except the family.

Comment

This is facebook, if you don't want to talk about something then just ignore it, this isn't people in a room and someone trying to change the topic. Jester asked a question and his sister was condescending she could have just not responded.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I often joke that I am a "beer snob" or a "rum snob," but I'm really not. I call Bud, Miller, Coors, and Corona swill, but I have drank all of them, and still drink Bud and Corona on a fairly regular basis. Not much of a snob, am I?
        Well we did haul 4 cases of beer from Phoenix for you ...

Actually I think she just has a stick up her butt for whatever reason. I don't see anything wrong with what you said at all. It isn't like she said she likes Yago Sangria or some sweet plonk like that.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty bitchy comment to me. What if you just wanted to know so you could get them a bottle in the future? God forbid...
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
            *large snip*
            Instead, you took the focus totally off her. You totally ignored the pretty cute "O. Henry" aspect of the situation. She was trying to shout to her facebook world that she and her partner were obviously in love and so right for each other.

*snip*
            OK, I am going to confess ... I know who O. Henry is but I am at a loss to see what the 'O. Henry aspect' of sis's story is. Only thing I can think of is 'The Gift of the Magi' (since it's obviously not 'The Ransom of Red Chief,' LOL!)

Could somebody please clarify for me, please 'n' thanks?

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              OK, I am going to confess ... I know who O. Henry is but I am at a loss to see what the 'O. Henry aspect' of sis's story is. Only thing I can think of is 'The Gift of the Magi' (since it's obviously not 'The Ransom of Red Chief,' LOL!)

Could somebody please clarify for me, please 'n' thanks?
              I'm assuming they meant Gift of the Magi, just taking the very small part of it about getting each other what they really wanted, not the whole larger picture of the irony of the sacrifices that negated the need for what they were getting.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                My much younger bother
                Freudian slip?

Quoth csquared View Post
                I guess I should clarify. I thought Jester referred to them as a "Spanish Irrelevant" and an "Australian Talk About Something Else" (not wanting to name the wines in the post and insult their choices). If that is verbatim what Lil Sis said, then yes, she is being snarky.
                I kinda still think your suggested response is appropriate. If she's gonna be unnecessarily snarky then why shouldn't he? Other than not wanting to escalate things. And yes, while I can see others' points about her not wanting the subject changed, I think she was being unnecessarily hostile about it.

I think they were going for Gift of the Magi, but it doesn't really fit, since in the story they each did something so they could get the other a gift that ended up being unusable because of what the other did to be able to get the other's gift. Having two bottles of wine isn't exactly the same thing. You can most definitely use two bottles of wine! (Well, not me, I don't like wine, but hey, more for everyone else!)
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Jester, I likely would have said exactly the same thing as you. Yes, it's sweet that they did that for each other, but I'm not necessarily going to oo and aw over it - there may be a quick "hah, that's great!" but that's about it.

I'm clearly a booze geek, as are you. And my family gets this. Everyone is happy to indulge my obsession when it comes to booze knowledge, no matter the context. Even my younger sister, who can be a bit of a snark, herself.

Your sister was out of line and over the top. Her response was uncalled for, and in light of how you describe your recent interactions with her, I'd wonder if something is going on that she's not telling anyone (i.e. miscarriage, fertility issues, illness, job problems, relationship issues) for whatever misguided reason she may have.

Comment

I agree that little sis was a bit out of line. She could have answered Jester's question and then said something like, "But never mind that, don't you think it was sweet?" Or whatever.

And the reason I asked about her age: I was wondering if she's old enough to be feeling the first twinges of menopause. 40 could be a little young for that...or not. It makes some people very, very touchy and irritable. Or she could be having issues with having turned 40, and that's making her snippy. Am I correct in the impression that it's not the first time she's been snippy lately?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather
                      My much younger bother
                      Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

Freudian slip?

OMG, I can't believe I typed that All I can say, is sometimes a typo is just a typo

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Seriously? A raving bitch? How the heck is she being a raving bitch because a moment she enjoyed was made into something trivial? How would anyone saying she was a bitch to have something sweet made into something trivial?

Comment

I think she was being snarky, personally. If I posted something like that, I wouldn't expect every single person to comment on it saying "awwwwww" and stuff like that. When you (general "you") post on a social networking site, you have to realize that everyone has different personalities and will say different things. If anything, what you said may have warranted internal eye-rolling and then a response. Maybe a sarcastic comment, but nothing like that. Probably more like a "of course you'd ask that :P" or something. The fact that you even went back and said that you thought it was sweet and that you were happy it happened shows that you did care, and honestly, it's probably more than what my guy friends would do if I posted a status like hers. And I'm perfectly ok with that. But that's just my view.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            *large snip*

--JESTER: "Oh no, sis, I totally understand the POINT of the story. I think it's sweet and romantic, and I love the fact that it happened. But as a fellow wine drinker, I am still curious what your and his favorite wines are."
                            *large snip*
                            So Jester DID say something nice about it. He acknowledged that it was a sweet gesture and then asked something ... I dunno, pragmatic? Basic? So I really don't see what sis's problem is. Were people supposed to coo for 15 minutes straight by the clock? I could see my own brother responding in a similar manner and I can't imagine that I'd think his response was offensive in any way.

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                            *snip*When you (general "you") post on a social networking site, you have to realize that everyone has different personalities and will say different things. If anything, what you said may have warranted internal eye-rolling and then a response. Maybe a sarcastic comment, but nothing like that. Probably more like a "of course you'd ask that :P" or something. The fact that you even went back and said that you thought it was sweet and that you were happy it happened shows that you did care, and honestly, it's probably more than what my guy friends would do if I posted a status like hers. And I'm perfectly ok with that. But that's just my view.
                            What PhiSigGirl said.

It's also telling, I think, that other family members are commenting on sis's behaviour. Sounds to me as if she's got something going on in her life that's having some definitely negative effects.
                            Last edited by Pixilated; 06-03-2012, 04:34 AM.

Comment

My main thing with this is, the people you have in your FB friend list are supposed to be people you know, right? Especially since it's family. She should know how Jester would respond already. And if she wanted to comment on him not being nice enough, yeah, she could, but to continue going, that's what crossed the line for her.
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

So Jester DID say something nice about it. He acknowledged that it was a sweet gesture and then asked something ... I dunno, pragmatic? Basic? So I really don't see what sis's problem is. Were people supposed to coo for 15 minutes straight by the clock? I could see my own brother responding in a similar manner and I can't imagine that I'd think his response was offensive in any way.
                                You snipped a bit too much there. He said something nice after being called out on his question of the wines made the moment ruined and trivial.

Comment

Working...
                                X