This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Baby Bunnies - Fox or Cat?

The 9 baby bunnies were just over a month old and big enough to be in the pen outdoors without fitting through the bars; too big for their indoor cage now, about a pound or two. I put them in the pen with their house at about 7-8pm last night. The bars are about 1 1/4 inches wide, pen is 4 feet high. There was a pretty bad thunderstorm, but they had cover.

This morning I found 3-dead and disembowled, 1 with a torn back but alive, 3 alive and the last 2 missing. There was dirt and scratches kicked-up at the front of the pen like something wanted in, but then decided to jump or climb. The back of the pen was bowed-out like something's weight was on it, or it had managed to scramble underneath. I found what appear to be cat tracks in the mud nearby; they're rounded and don't show claws. But I did see a fox up the street about a week ago. I called the township so they could be aware in case any other pet owners find their animals missing or injured. I'm so upset because I cared so much for those little guys and I feel like a horrible 'mother' for not waiting until they were bigger, but if they'd stayed crammed in that cage together they might have started fighting. Their pen was right next to their mothers and she also had a torn ear, like she might have tried to get through the fence to defend her babies. Strangely too, the 3 rabbits only slightly bigger than the babies were in lower-sided pens with bigger spaces between the bars and they weren't touched. Our one large male wasn't touched. I'm leaning towards it being a cat to have killed so many without taking them, but I haven't seen a cat in the neighborhood for months. I'm really upset because if the survivors are all female, then we've lost our 2nd breeding buck. I still don't know if the injured one will survive; a patch of skin about 2X2inches was torn from its back, but I cleaned it and put neosporine on it and the baby is eating and drinking.

I guess the only good thing is that my favorite baby survived.

Tonight I'm going to help my boyfriend put chicken wire over the tops of all the pens; we won't be able to stand-up inside anymore, but I hope it will keep stuff from getting in.

Nothing has EVER attacked the rabbits before. I could forgive a fox for eating the two babies, but not if it's somebody's stupid cat just killing for pleasure and leaving 3 possibly 4 little bodies behind.

I'm also worried that whatever attacked might have been diseased; that would cause a fox to act strangely and kill without eating; though the fox I saw in the neighborhood looked perfectly healthy.

If I DO see a cat in my yard, it will not receive any mercy!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I'm so sorry, LillFilly. I don't even know what else to say. I feel heartbroken by this news, and they're not even mine!
    Good luck to the injured bun.

Comment

Oh, that has to be devastating. So sorry you've had to go thru it. Poor little bunnies.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'm so sorry about the bunnies. My sister keeps chickens and she's been having terrible trouble with something getting into the barn and killing them. She finally managed to trap a raccoon a couple weeks ago and everything's been quiet since then.

I hope you don't have any more trouble.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bunnies.

You might want to make the new top detachable or hinged so you can stand up inside.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry! That's sucky.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              I found what appear to be cat tracks in the mud nearby; they're rounded and don't show claws. <snip>I'm leaning towards it being a cat to have killed so many without taking them, but I haven't seen a cat in the neighborhood for months.
              a fox track would show claws, and they are about 2 1/2 inches long, size comparison here, cat tracks are about the size of a penny(size here), and won't show claws. And if it's someone "pet" you likely wouldn't have seen it as it was "let out for the night", and back home before you found the carnage.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Poor bunny
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'm sorry *hugs*
                  "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

That's horrible. I'm so sorry!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

HOLY FUCK I JUST SCARED A FOX AWAY FROM THEM!

We thought it was probably a cat and so put rat traps with meat around the pens, after moving the vulnerable babies inside. I just heard one snap, and ran outside to come face to face with a big fox who took-off and leaped over the 4 foot chain link fence around our yard. It's just so weird for a wild animal to kill more than it can eat; I can only figure this one got power drunk on the buffet of bunnies. We're calling around for a live-trapper now.

The one with the patch of skin missing looks like it might make it; we had another that got into a fight with her sisters and grew her fur back, but it's just such a large patch missing on such a small rabbit.

On the plus side, a local mechanic found a baby bunny (it's the size of a large hamster!) in his shop and we took it home to let it put on some weight before letting it go.

Here's the baby cottontail with one of the 5-week old surviving domestics; it makes our baby look like a giant!

Last edited by LillFilly; 06-05-2012, 03:12 AM.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

It's just so weird for a wild animal to kill more than it can eat
                        *shakes head* You should have seen my neighbour's hen house when a fox got in... there wasn't one left alive, but the fox only carried one off. And the others hadn't died of fright either, it was just carnage. They do kill just for the hell of it, sad to say.
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

The injured baby passed away today; that puts the death toll at 6. 70% of the litter gone in 24 hours!

Buying our own trap and hiring someone would cost the same amount, but foxes have been known to return to their home turf even when relocated hundreds of miles away. Sadly, we were thinking of exterminating it; what if it doesn't want to run the next time I try and scare it away? According to the local game commission, if it's on our property killing our animals we have the right to put it down as it does not fall under hunting or trapping, and as long as we don't use poison. So we're looking into that. We've covered all the pens in wire and will see if any of the rat traps get triggered or if the meat bribe is gone.

Comment

Could also be a mink. They often don't eat their kills.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, I didn't see the fox post before I posted this.

Comment

On the plus side, a local mechanic found a baby bunny (it's the size of a large hamster!) in his shop and we took it home to let it put on some weight before letting it go.

Here's the baby cottontail with one of the 5-week old surviving domestics; it makes our baby look like a giant!
                              1-wild rabbits have fleas and potentially other illnesses/parasites that can transmit to your other bunnies.

2-wild rabbits can suffer cardiac arrest from the stress of hearing a human voice.

3-it's possible the fox smelled the blood left over and wasn't the actual murderer.

Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X