This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh, bats.

So, couple of ya know about the bat issues in our apartment, we were slated for an eviction for the bats, even saw the guy doing the apartment building before ours... and he never did ours, or the apartment across from us.

Even though we were listed on the work order.
    They swore up and down that they did our place, but, never saw the netting (I'm here all day) and our walls still squeak, scuttle and rustle. More so now because I believe we got all the other evicted bats in our complex. They hemmed and hawed with the apartment management and guess what?

...we're back in the breeding season, and they can't do anything unless they want to face a hefty fine, too bad, so sad. Yay, Florida.

So our management gave us our options today, either we get moved to a new two bedroom apartment - I have no idea what it's going to look like price wise to moving our stuff, thankfully not far, moving our utilities and the headache of changing all the addresses again and if they're going to want a new deposit or they're eating that, but one way or another we're currently tight on the budget.

Or we stay where we are, with our little guy and deal with the beetles falling from the vents, chances of bedbugs, thankfully no more bats visiting us by coming through the kitchen vent, and the breathing issues, I keep coughing and kiddo has been getting a wheeze here and there, he's already using a Neb, until the breeding season is clear. And hope they actually do it this time around.

What a friggen choice to make.
    Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

I'm confused ... if the "new two-bedroom" place is owned by the same company, why is this move costing you anything at all, given the reasons you have to leave??

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I'm confused ... if the "new two-bedroom" place is owned by the same company, why is this move costing you anything at all, given the reasons you have to leave??
      I agee, since your apartment isn't really liveable, through no fault of your own, they should be moving you over on their dime.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Sorry about that, it's my way of thinking, I always put it at the worst possible option so that way things look better later on when choices get made. I have no clue what they plan to do about it if we say yes, we want to relocate, if they're going to just move us to a new place and list it as such on the current lease, or tell us 'Wait til July when your lease is up and we'll move you than'

I trust our management as far as I can throw them on how they do things. I know this currently is a health hazard, and that they should be the ones footing the bill, but just that feeling that if we say okay to the move, they're going to balls something up to the point where it'll cost us, just probably being paranoid.

Now.

Comment

Bat maternity season started on April 15th. They took this long to figure out what they were going to do for you? Hopefully, they have someone who can help you move your stuff.

Comment

Why has the health department not been called yet? You have a slum lord who doesn't care. Tell them you'll take the other place, at what you are paying now and they foot the moving bill.

Comment

We didn't call mainly because they swore up and down that they were taking bids, they were taking bids, omg we're totally taking bids! And even saw the critter guys checking out buildings, and even was told 'We have the critter guys, your apartment is on the order!' so honestly thought all of our complaining finally paid off and the problem was being dealt with.

The critter guys dropped the ball along with management on calling them back and telling them 'hey, what about this apartment? it was one of the ones you really needed to do' they're only doing this now because we're going to them and going 'what the hell is the plan now?'

A mess all around. And it's a management company, the third one to this complex since we've lived here, they actually a lot better than the older ones, still, ugh.

Now.

Comment

Tell them this. "Bats. Potential rabies. Small child. Local TV news action reporter. Do I have your attention? Then move us NOW."
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We're talking to them tomorrow, and it'll be more along the lines of 'Bats, chance of histoplasmosis from bat poo in the walls. Kiddo has had three colds/respiratory issues since being born, breathes fine when he's at grandmas. Does not do daycare. Move us now.'

Wish us luck.

Now.

Comment

Good luck!
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Tell them this. "Bats. Potential rabies. Small child. Local TV news action reporter. Do I have your attention? Then move us NOW."
                      I love this!

Quoth Micer View Post
                      We're talking to them tomorrow, and it'll be more along the lines of 'Bats, chance of histoplasmosis from bat poo in the walls. Kiddo has had three colds/respiratory issues since being born, breathes fine when he's at grandmas. Does not do daycare. Move us now.'

Wish us luck.
                      Good luck! It is ridiculous that it should have gone this far.

Comment

Keep us informed.

We had a bat in our garage once, you should have seen my daughter & I (of course, hubby had to just happen to be back in the states at a 4 week school at the time) trying to gently, very gently, without harming it, (all the time shrieking anything it got within a few feet of us) nudge it to the open door with brooms, cause we knew that if it came in to stay, and nested, it would be illegal to move it (that time period, that place, that species of bat - it was on the protected species list). And yes, it decided to go find somewhere more hospitable to stay, I think it was probably the shrieking that did it, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Well, pretty much we said we want to move, they told us the apartment we'd be moving to, it's just waiting on them now to give us the day that we can resign the lease and start moving our stuff, it's on the other side of the complex, so we're stuck having to rent a truck.

Still, first floor place by hopefully the end of the month. Yay. =)

And aw, we had to do that once at girl-scout camp, cleaning out the mess hall and there's a bat trying to hide under the table, we just gently nudged it back outside with the broom. Here though, we've had one bat come through the access hole to the dishwasher in one of the cabinets (cats were going psycho, woke up only because my cat came and 'got' me with his persistent meowing), closed up the hole, another came through the vent, poor thing flew into our ceiling fan and was stunned, they put chicken-wire over the vent but you can occasionally still hear squeaking.

And the last one... was caught by my cat outside on the balcony. Again, meow meow meow, what the heck do you want cat... dropitdropitdropit! It didn't make it.

Gotta say though, when they're on their tummies and not flapping around like crazy, big brown bats are kinda cute.

Now.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            Keep us informed.

We had a bat in our garage once, you should have seen my daughter & I (of course, hubby had to just happen to be back in the states at a 4 week school at the time) trying to gently, very gently, without harming it, (all the time shrieking anything it got within a few feet of us) nudge it to the open door with brooms, cause we knew that if it came in to stay, and nested, it would be illegal to move it (that time period, that place, that species of bat - it was on the protected species list). And yes, it decided to go find somewhere more hospitable to stay, I think it was probably the shrieking that did it, LOL.
                            Could have done with me around, I absoloutely love bats, i even find vampire bats especially cute.
                            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I remember my friends fly-fishing for bats in their yard at dusk when I was a teen...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X