X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpet question!

NO NOT THAT.

Actual carpet question, lol! So, mom's friend runs a little carpet cleaning business, and had us get her to clean up our den. We usually go with a different company, but we were like, eh, this should be fine. Other company is a bit more expensive, but they did a disturbingly awesome job the last time they were out here.

But...mom's friend...figured why not.

Everything went great at first, they did a BRILLIANT job on a rug, and cleaned our den really well. At least, it was at first.

Now that everything's drying, some of the dirty spots which were clean earlier...are back. I'm not sure how. But they're showing up again. Is this normal? O_o Should I even say anything to her? Its mom's friend, and I don't want to cause hard feelings...but I was a little surprised to notice that this one area where...well..some koolaid had spilled before...and looked clean yesterday....is turning red again.

Really kinda boggled by this.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Yes, some stains can be like that. Now you get to see how really good mom's friend is.

Call her up. Let her know about the stain and ask what can be done. If she refuses to help or says there is nothing she can do, call "different company" and get a second opinion.

You will know who you want to call back the next time.
    Last edited by csquared; 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: typo
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

That would make me think there was something in the pad underneath. Was this a wet/steam cleaning?
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Yes, wet cleaning. By the looks of it....and due to its location (near hubby's recliner) I'm willing to bet it was a spilled soft drink that was ignored. (He does that a lot...)

So further amounts of googling and calling around seems that this is something called "wicking", and that mom's friend will most likely have to charge and just come out and do a second cleaning.

Le sigh. I'm just gonna get some towels and clean the stains myself, and blot them up like an insane woman, I guess.

Comment

Dampen a rag with warm water, and gently blot the area. After a treatment or two (or three), the spot should go away.

Comment

Never hire or be hired by someone you can't fire.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
              carpet question!
              (smile, dirty thought, opens mouth to snark)

Quoth Seraph View Post
              NO NOT THAT.
              (pouts, quietly goes and stands in the corner)
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                (smile, dirty thought, opens mouth to snark)

(pouts, quietly goes and stands in the corner)
                And you got that in before dalesys. I'm impressed.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  And you got that in before dalesys. I'm impressed.
                  I don't get in much anymore.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    I don't get in much anymore.
                    for shame!

Comment

My understanding of "wicking", in connection with a stain that appears after cleaning, is as follows:

- Top layer of carpet (that you can see) is clean, there's a water-soluble stain in the backing.

- Carpet is wet-cleaned. Water gets into the full thickness, wetting the stain. The vacuum associated with the cleaner sucks the dirty water out of the top layer.

- Dirty water runs up the fibers from the (stained) backing into the top layer, water evaporates. This continues until the backing is dry. Dirt is left behind in the top layer where you can see it.

When you clean the stained area, make sure you don't get the backing wet again, or the stain will come back again. This phenomenon is related to the "poultice" method of getting oil stains out of concrete.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X