This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
    I've thought of going into stores before and asking for games for the NES. (Yes, I still have mine from when I was 6. :-D)
    I should go in sometime and ask the local Gamestop if they can sell me a replacement sight and battery cover for my Superscope...

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
    And I have NEVER played ANY of the final fantasy games. Probably won't for a long time too. I will admit to recently purchasing the X-Box Arcade volumes 1 and 2. It's a blast and I LOVE Peggle!
    I've never played the first three Final Fantasies (the NES ones), which I think Kheldarson is still trying to get her head around, considering how much of a gamer I am. Also reminds me of a conversation with a coworker once.

CW: So you play a lot of games, right? Like, you play Halo?
    Me: Actually, I don't like Halo. Most modern shooters aren't particularly good.
    CW: What? So what do you play, then?
    Me: Usually RPGs like Final Fantasy.
    CW: Oh, well you wanna know what a terrible game is? Final Fantasy 7! (In a really accusing tone, like he's sure it's going to piss me off.)
    Me: A bit. It was massively over-hyped, the plot was weak, and the characterization was lacking. There are better ones out there.
    CW: (Pause) ...yeah, well, Eight sucked too!
    Me: Oh, definitely. The best minigame ever created can't make up for bland characters and a nonsensical plot.

At which point he gave up. For the record, my favorites are Six and Nine.

Go play Shadow of the Colossus (PS2). It's a title that's not really been advertised but it really really good.
    When Roger Ebert said video games can't be art, someone should have sat him down with SotC and told him "Your argument is invalid."
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
      When Roger Ebert said video games can't be art, someone should have sat him down with SotC and told him "Your argument is invalid."
      Meh, Ebert says those things to get press. I doubt he actually believes that himself. His movie reviews havn't been relevant for years now, and he can't stand the fact that Hollywood is finding him increasingly irrelevant.

Oh, and for you Ico and Shadow of the Colossus fans, there's word floating about that there may be a remastering of both games in the works to be released together in Hi-Def for the modern systems. Fingers crossed that this isn't just rumour.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
        Oh, and for you Ico and Shadow of the Colossus fans, there's word floating about that there may be a remastering of both games in the works to be released together in Hi-Def for the modern systems. Fingers crossed that this isn't just rumour.
        That would be fantastic. The only thing holding me back from those two games is the fact I don't own a PS3 anymore.

And Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, and Kratos, step aside while I get my crowbar and play my games Gordan Freeman stylez!!

Bit of a nerd, whenever I have to use a crowbar at work I tell people im 'Freemaning' it......only one or two people get it.
        Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
          ... Sega Genesis Collection (forget the exact title for it...but kicks ass and has all the old school Sega Genesis games on it).
          If it's the recent "Sonic" collection from the last year or so, it rocks ^_^ it has a TON of unlockable games on it, as well, including all four Phantasy Star RPGs.

Quoth Damien View Post
          same here... I have also not seen nor read LOTR (just to add to the blasphemy)
          *stifles his inner geek* Back! Back, damn you!

er, I mean...If you can tolerate fantasy at all, I strongly recommend them. You could always start with a rental of part 1 (or borrow one) and see what you think, if you are interested.

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
          There was a clerk at one of my local EB games (chain owned by gamestop if i recall correctly).
          Aye. GS bought out EB a few years back, and Babbage's/Egghead/whatever before that (I wanna say that Toys R Us owned some of them before that)

Never heard of Ico but it looks similar. Regardless, I really enjoyed Shadow. I'll have to look into picking up a copy of Ico and give it a try.
          Do so. Trust me.

Quoth Treasure View Post
          b/c i am WELL aware of the ... ... ... 'issues' with the movies vs the books (but then again aren't there always? )
          Ditto ^_^ But I have found that LOTR's "issues" are far, far less severe than most book > movie translations. The movies are excellent, and stand on their own quite well.

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
          At which point he gave up. For the record, my favorites are Six and Nine.

Many ditto's on both counts

Well, the ICO/Shadow team is working on a new game; I think it's due out later this year. It's called The Last Guardian. I can't find anything about the remake(s)/collection aside from hearsay. Wiki link here -- for what that's worth
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Meh, Ebert says those things to get press. I doubt he actually believes that himself. His movie reviews havn't been relevant for years now, and he can't stand the fact that Hollywood is finding him increasingly irrelevant.
            Ebert's a massive agist and always has been. Just check out any review he did in the 80's or 90's that was for a movie aimed at teens, and it just reeks of him being elitist over it not being "good enough for snobby adult movie-goers." Siskel, on the other hand, would review a movie based on whether it was done well and enjoyable. I really miss him.
            Quoth EricKei View Post
            er, I mean...If you can tolerate fantasy at all, I strongly recommend them. You could always start with a rental of part 1 (or borrow one) and see what you think, if you are interested.
            The movies are actually quite enjoyable.

I never got very far with the books. Bored me to absolute tears, they did.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              The movies are actually quite enjoyable.

I never got very far with the books. Bored me to absolute tears, they did.

^-.-^
              The books are an acquired taste, in my opinion. I made it through them in 8th grade, but I know lots of fantasy fans who wouldn't.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Ebert's a massive agist and always has been. Just check out any review he did in the 80's or 90's that was for a movie aimed at teens, and it just reeks of him being elitist over it not being "good enough for snobby adult movie-goers."
                Keep in mind, the guy saying these things has three movie credits that he admits to (or has been outed as):

Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens (1979) (writer) (as R. Hyde)
                ... aka "Ultra Vixen" - Japan (English title)
                Up! (1976) (writer) (as Reinhold Timme)
                Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970) (screenplay) (story)
                --(source, IMDb)

Three movies. I wouldn't exactly call his writting credits great cinema.

NOTE: Note the "UP!" listed there isn't the neat animated recent one. Look it up on IMDb. oy.
                Last edited by Geek King; 06-07-2010, 06:58 PM.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                X