This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suck at Applebee's

My wife and I stopped by our local Applebee's last night, and we had a wonderful waitress take care of our table. They were slammed so it was understandable that drinks and such would take a while, especially the ones we ordered which had to go through the bar to get mixed up (kiwi lemonade). On top of that, we found out as we were paying and getting ready to leave, she was new. She'd been training and this was her 2nd 'real' day on the job, and she had a story to tell us I thought I'd share.

At the end of our meal, my wife told her how wonderful she'd been (and I left her 20 percent on our bill). She told us how great it was to hear that, she'd just had a bad experience with another table and was on the verge of tears. Apparently, she's still trying to learn the computer. She knows it well enough to get most things in, but with such a large table she was having trouble and asked for some help. Well her co-worker didn't realize she wasn't done with all the orders and hit the submit button, so as it ended up, their orders came staggered and some got their steaks while they were still working on their salads.

Enter the SC. One woman at the table apparently was just in a mood to complain so she called for a manager to complain about the 'bad service'. What's the manager do? Cut the waitress back on tables. This in turn cuts her back on tips, and she also explained to us that while training, you don't get to keep your tips, so this was only the 2nd day she got to keep tips, so getting cut back on tables was a real blow. We talked with her for a while and it really cheered her up, and we also shared our good news of the day with her with our latest baby ultrasounds (4th attempt after 3 losses... we're both excited. ). She was in a much better mood when we left.

People like that SC just piss me off. When someone's new, they're still learning the ropes, mistakes are part of the game, and she was very nice and did her best to make sure everything was good at her tables. Another SC that needs a trip through the chipper:

A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Having been in that position before, I HATE when people do stuff like this to new servers. This would be why people like me quit within weeks of it, just couldn't handle the loss of money over petty bullshit.

One table ending up stiffing both myself and another server because it was shift change and I had turned the table over to her, and the "lovely" couple at that table thought it was so rude. Instead of saying something to management or something that would actually give them decent results, they just stiffed us both.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

that poor girl; those computers can be a bitch to learn.

*keeps fingers and toes crossed for it*
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Did the SC know she was new before turning into a SC?
        Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

It can be frustrating when dealing with a new server, especially one that's overwhelmed. I do try to cut slack. I also tend to ask if trainees see the tip or if I can specifically direct it to them. Sorry, but I'm not tipping a trainer who I see for two seconds. I'm glad you made the girl's night better.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The manager didn't seem sucky to me at all. The girl was just out of training, and was having difficulties, surely it'sbetter to reduce her workload for the first few days so she can learn things at her own pace, than keep her in the deep end and let her get burned out and frustrated.

Comment

I think the manager was somewhat sucky - the girl asked for help from a coworker, who is the one that stuffed it up. A good manager would've asked exactly what happened, and penalised the coworker. The new waitress asked for help, and got screwed.
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

i agree with iradney; getting burned by a coworker and penalized isn't a good way to gain employee loyalty, it's more likely to make them jaded (like i was) and leave sooner rather than later.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                X