This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train in Vain

For the week before Memorial Day, I took a train trip from Ann Arbor to Seattle to San Francisco and back to Ann Arbor. Stayed a couple days in Seattle and San Francisco and basically had a blast. Anyways, I couldn't spend that many days in close proximity to people and not have a few sightings.

The trip from Chicago to Seattle wasn't too bad except that some people were smoking on the train and one of those people found out that Amtrak is serious when it says no smoking. He was removed fom the train in Whitefish. There was also a reminder that they run a G-rated train so I assume that means someone was swearing.

Nothing terribly eventful until I got on the train coming back from Chicago to Ann Arbor. They were pulling random people out of the line to swab for bomb residue. I happened to be one of the "lucky" ones. it wasn't really a pain for me. But there was this woman behind me who was bitching up a storm. She kept going on and on and was talking on her cell phone to someone. One of the Amtrak folks told her to tone it down and she said that she wasn't talking to them. Finally the Amtrak person with the dog came up to her and basically said that if she didn't like she didn't have to ride their train. The woman looked like she was going to say something else but she didn't. She was carrying on again after the check point. I don't really get it because compared to airline searches it was nothing.

Anyways, for the most part the people on the train were very friendly and the staff was top notch.

This happens on buses too. When my sister rode Greyhound out to California to bury our father five years ago, they did this when they stopped halfway through her trip home. A lot of people bitched about it, and made a fuss. She got a little pissed when they started rummaging through her clothing. Not that she had anything to hide, but the fact that they were just searching willy-nilly through her dirty unmentionables was enough to irritate her. They had bomb sniffing dogs that they didn't even utilize.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Huh, I didn't know they were doing this on trains now; haven't had it happen to me or the BF on Amtrack in the last several years. Wonder if it's only at the really big bus/train stations.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        Huh, I didn't know they were doing this on trains now; haven't had it happen to me or the BF on Amtrack in the last several years. Wonder if it's only at the really big bus/train stations.
        Well the train going from Chicago to Ann Arbor was full, so I think that might be a reason for it. In a way it kind of makes sense and it wasn't nearly as intrusive as the search you go through to get on a plane so I really had no problem with it.

Comment

Working...
        X