This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so much sucky. Just annoying.

My hubby and I were at the gas station yesterday filling up for a small trip we were taking, and a cable van pulled into the other side of our pump. Before the poor cable guy could even unscrew his gas cap, this older guy came over from the direction of the store and immediately began asking the cable guy about some problem he was having with his remote not turning on his TV and what he could do about it. He seemed polite enough, but seriously? Can't the cable guy even go to the gas station in peace without being bombarded?
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Man, I hate that.

I have been at a doctor's appointment and the nurse, (who's really a bit annoying to begin with), will start asking me about prices on material for a deck, or barbecues, etc.

I've been at the hairdresser and been asked for prices on stuff, or about items on sale.

I don't have this stuff memorized, for crying out loud.

The fact that I don't work the sales floor, or run cash means I don't get to know prices to begin with, let alone remember them when I'm on my own time.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Oooh, I know what that's like. I've learned not to go grocery shopping still wearing my chef coat, or really anywhere other than work. You draw stares and all manner of questions from people trying to figure out how to make dinner. I've had someone follow me halfway through the store just watching what food items I was buying.
      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

When I worked at the archery board, I made sure never to wear red and khaki when I was shopping on my own time. Heck even with my brief stint at Michelangelo's crafts I took off my apron while I was stocking the shelves so SC's wouldn't bother me.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
          When I worked at the archery board, I made sure never to wear red and khaki when I was shopping on my own time.
          I used to work there, too, and I know what you mean. I only took off my name tag when going on breaks, and people would always try to stop and ask me questions. I helped as much as I could without leaving the area I was in, and took extra time if the customer just wouldn't go away. One time I was shopping after my shift (had my uniform on minus name tag and no jacket since it was summer), had my purse over my shoulder and was texting on my phone (aka, obviously not on the clock), and some lady kept trying to get my attention from the other end of the aisle. I just ignored her and kept doing what I was doing
          "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

One time when I went shopping at Wal-Mart, I wore a blue shirt. Note-I've never been on the Wal-Mart payroll. Though in this case, it wasn't the shirt color that prompted the customer to ask for my help. They had seen the cat food and litter in my cart and asked where the pet supplies section was.

And when I have worn the company shirt in my after work travels, I've referred anything more than general inquiries back to the call center, advising that we have it all on computer, and better to get it straight from the horse's mouth than on the fly from a guy who is off the clock and not near the office, let alone a computer.

And in regards to the original poster...it could always have been worse. Cable guy could have been in the restroom, and got asked questions while he was doing his then-present business.
            Last edited by Ree; 06-13-2010, 04:08 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
            Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth lobo94 View Post
              One time when I went shopping at Wal-Mart, I wore a blue shirt. Note-I've never been on the Wal-Mart payroll. Though in this case, it wasn't the shirt color that prompted the customer to ask for my help. They had seen the cat food and litter in my cart and asked where the pet supplies section was.
              I've done that before but only when I've been in a different store where the layout is kooky compared to my local Wally World.

Comment

Argh, had that problem when I worked for the bank. I lived near the branch I worked at. (Literally like 2 blocks away, I walked to work.) So I would run into customers on my off time all the time if I was at the grocery store or a restaurant. Nothing more annoying than someone trying to argue about their over-draft fees when you're in the middle of a burger.

Comment

Quoth ExRetailDrone View Post
                  and immediately began asking the cable guy about some problem he was having with his remote not turning on his TV and what he could do about it. He seemed polite enough, but seriously?
                  New batteries?

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
                    New batteries?
                    Nah, I heard him say that his cable box would turn on but not his TV. So, connectivity issue.

And my husband told me that when the SC first walked up to the cable guy, he said something like "After this, you'll wish you would've gone to [other gas station]." That's how he started the conversation! So, I take back my comment about being polite enough, because that's just infuriating.

Comment

got that sometimes on my second ship, working in ADP (the navy version of an IT help desk)

it's like some people would have computer issues but they wouldn't actually put in a trouble call... they'd just let the issue sit. until you went into their workshop for someone else's trouble call and then they'd want you to fix this or that as well. or they'd stop you in the hall.

Comment

Working...
                      X