Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a huge Zelda fan myself, I have to say that berating someone for "not being a gamer" just because they haven't played a certain game is complete hog wash.

And I have NEVER played ANY of the final fantasy games. Probably won't for a long time too. I will admit to recently purchasing the X-Box Arcade volumes 1 and 2. It's a blast and I LOVE Peggle!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

opinionated gamers. My roomie used to be manager of a Gamestop and basically came back with plenty of examples that they exist. Examples like the original post where people would hang around for HOURS. Comic Book shops and those Games Workshop stores that used to exist were the same way.

Whereas myself I realized a long time ago I don't like most of the games with the big hype advertisements. There are plenty of games that "charm" me to love them, even if they're neglected titles by most people. On a side note, I own an Xbox360 for a year and recently purchased a cheap Nintendo Wii. However I realized when my sister brought me back the PS2 that she was borrowing that I missed the games I owned for that most of all. Go figure.

Of course I play my Amiga for the same reason. Not that I hate new games, but there are some old ones that are just made with a little bit more magic.
      Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Go play Shadow of the Colossus (PS2). It's a title that's not really been advertised but it really really good.

Fskd up ending too. Definitely not what I was expecting but it was really good.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          Go play Shadow of the Colossus (PS2). It's a title that's not really been advertised but it really really good.

Fskd up ending too. Definitely not what I was expecting but it was really good.
          I believe that's the prequel of sorts to ICO. Also a semi-decent game, despite not actually coming with a heap of instructions....
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Never heard of Ico but it looks similar. Regardless, I really enjoyed Shadow. I'll have to look into picking up a copy of Ico and give it a try.

Comment

Being a huge Zelda fan myself, I have to say that berating someone for "not being a gamer" just because they haven't played a certain game is complete hog wash.

And I have NEVER played ANY of the final fantasy games. Probably won't for a long time too. I will admit to recently purchasing the X-Box Arcade volumes 1 and 2. It's a blast and I LOVE Peggle!
              I never understood the "You aren't a REAL <X> because you don't like <whatever their stupid crap is>" argument. I understand it when its meant to be funny, but I know people who say things like that in all seriousness.

For example, I get told that I'm not a real nerd because I HATE Star Wars with a passion (those films are so boring it makes me ). However, I'm typing this message out on the gaming rig I assembled myself, on a macro keyboard I use for WoW on a desk covered with Warhammer miniatures and Magic decks I'm working on. My nerd credentials are in order, thank you!
              There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post
                However I realized when my sister brought me back the PS2 that she was borrowing that I missed the games I owned for that most of all. Go figure.
                I really should crank up my N64 so I can play a bit of goldeneye... I really do rather miss that game.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Damn...I thought I posted in this thread already. My bad

Before my favorite hobby shop moved awhile back, we had to deal with a guy like that. "John," was a nice, older guy--he knew the various classes of Pennsylvania RR steam locomotives, but really was a pain in the ass. If you even *mentioned* that you were looking for info on the PRR, you'd soon find him following you around the store, sharing his 'expertise.' I tended to smile and nod, simply because I didn't care about PRR steam--it didn't fit into my late-1970s Penn Central world. That went on, until quite a few people--myself included--complained about him. To us, hobbies are supposed to be relaxing. At first, John wasn't too bad. But, as time went on, he got worse. He was actually driving business away--people would see him leaning on the counter, and not bother going inside.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                    and i only saw him once or twice but EVERY time he'd voice his opinion on wahtever game I or my friends were buying.
                    Oh, I hate gamestore employees like that... you pick up a game (for me this happened picking up railroad tycoon 2... I love model railroads but I can't afford them, so railroad tycoon is great for me) and he commented about how that game was so lame and I should man up and get (insert name of shooter game here). OK, so let me get this straight, I'm paying you to insult my masculinity... umm, no... not happening.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

What is wrong with these employees? There's an appropriate and polite way to express a negative opinion of a game without driving one's customers away. These employees appear to have not learned it.

Thankfully I have yet to run into the store employee who tells me to get something else, but part of it might be that too many of them are surprised to see a woman buying game-related stuff in the first place. At least, around here they seem surprised. But then, I've learned that CT's "female gamer" population seems to be very small indeed.
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Luckily I've never had much of an issue with annoying gamers, customers of employees. The only incident I can think of is when a guy in a game store was ranting to the clerk about how NAFTA was sending jobs over seas.

I told him the North American Free Trade Agreement by definition can't send job over seas. At most a job might be sent over the Gulf of Mexico, but not overseas.

Comment

I refuse to set foot in the local game store unless the female clerk is working. She seems to be there most Saturdays but otherwise, my fiance has to go in to buy the game for me. I am just so tired of their fanboy cashiers either staring at me in disbelief, suggesting that I am just buying something for my man (no, he doesn't like Halo) or trying to talk me into buying something more "girl friendly" (normally something for kids or teenaged girls).

This isn't even some indy shop, it's a corporate chain! I shouldn't complain too much since their behavior has helped me cut down on impulsive game purchases by encouraging me to buy stuff online.

Comment

I like to shop in EB Games occasionally... thankfully the one I usually go to is kind of on the edge of town, and doesn't get a lot of traffic in the way of the stereotypical nerds (or something, I'm usually in there like a half-hour before closing...) and more often than not, I'm in there with my roommate because he wants a certain game and didn't feel like driving himself. Anyway, the cashiers there are super-cool and never ask if I'm buying for someone else - I don't think i've ever seen a male cashier there ever.

Anyway, the last time I bought a game was around christmas soo... yeah. I'm currently borrowing my brother's 360 and I have some of his games for it (Bayonetta, Prince of Persia, The Darkness, Force Unleashed, AssCreed 2, Halo:3, Halo: ODST and Blue Dragon) so I don't need to go and get any...

I've played all but ODST (only just picked that up today), and I have to say I LOVE Blue Dragon! It's a 3-disc fantasy in the style of Final Fantasy 2 (or 4, if you prefer the Japanese version) or like The 7th Saga (if you have heard of it). It's a lot of fun... i'm 26 hours into it and only just started disc 2!

I have no opinions on most games and when I do it's because I've played it and just didn't like it, or didn't like how it handled, etc... CoD, GoW and all those military FPS I won't play. Sorry. I'm an RPGer by preference.
                            "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                            ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

And I have NEVER played ANY of the final fantasy games. Probably won't for a long time too.
                              The last FF game I played was...Final Fantasy Legend II for the original Game Boy.

The ex once called me a non-gamer for not having any real interest in CoD, Counterstrike, etc. I'm just not into the military games at all, doesn't make me any less of a gamer.
                              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-02-2010, 03:46 AM.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

*sigh* and i remember when "gamer" or "RPGer" meant table top D&D

i don't play video/computer games for the most part, a few free things on y! while i'm at work, sure... but to buy and obsess over - don't have time or patience for it... in fact, i don't want a game system in my house ever! but i blame my brothers for that, i got shafted doing all the work while they "tried to find a save-place" when they weren't supposed to be on the system to begin with...

and to the poster that mentioned they have not read/seen LOTR, I haven't either, and i think i'm facing disownment for it... lol! I haven't read them b/c i haven't seen the 2nd movie, and want to watch all 3 for the enjoyment, b/c i am WELL aware of the ... ... ... 'issues' with the movies vs the books (but then again aren't there always? )
                                Last edited by Treasure; 06-02-2010, 04:03 AM. Reason: i thought i burned my soapbox, i was wrong.
                                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                                X