Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud Noises, Parties and Cops (Long and Epic Sorry!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to parties in apartments with lots of drinking but no problems because the people involved are able to control themselves while drunk. Chances are if a person is a loud asshole while drunk and can't help it then they are a loud asshole while sober, when they decided to have 50 people come to their party in their one bedroom apartment as opposed to ten people.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
      "Little ditty, 'bout Jack and Dia-ane!
      Two American kids doin' the best they can..."
      I couldn't tell you why, but I despise that song.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Been at my current apartment for almost 6 years now, and I've only had 1 incident with rowdy neighbours.

Last summer, mom was down for the weekend for some reason, so I was in the living room and she was in the bedroom. It was about 2:30 in the morning, I was just about to go to bed and mom was already in bed.

The neighbours diagonally across the hall from my place (there are 4 apartments per floor) came home from the bar I guess with friends, and apparently the person with the keys didn't come home yet or wasn't waking up or something. So they hung around in the hall, TALKING LOUDLY and laughing and generally acting like drunks. Another neighbour went out and told them to shut up, which they did for about 2 minutes before starting up again. Someone must have called our super because I heard someone else come up and tell them to shut up or get out, which they did eventually, but it was probably about 3 or so in the morning before things settled down.

Those particular neighbours were moved out a few weeks later. I suspect that event was the last straw. (IIRC, with them there may have been a few other incidents , but none anywhere near that bad)

Comment

In an apartment I lived in a few years back, I had some neighbours that apparently had come together bcause they both had tourettes lol.

a guy and a girl (at least from what I could distinguish from their voices i never saw either of them) would have loud screaming arguments in which 'fuck, shit, etc.' was at LEAST every other word.

at least... 3 or 4 times a week. at ALL hours, day time, evenings, nights (2 - 3am etc.)

of course when i decide to get them back one night by 'accidently' playing my electric guitar at a higher than normal volume. i get them knocking against the wall, yelling to shut up etc.

plus side is arguments decreased (or at least the volume did) afterwards.
          Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Ugh, I feel you. When I first moved in, we had the "Little Drummer Boy" above us. Maybe if he was actually decent at playing the drums, it would have been okay, but he sucked. And he would play all night long. I mean, he'd start at 11:30pm, just as I got home from swing shift, and wouldn't stop until about 2:30am, just before I left for my paper route.

ACW, who lives FOUR BUILDINGS DOWN, actually thought it was HER upstairs neighbor! When she confronted him, he told her he'd gotten rid of his drums, and when I told her about my neighbors, we realized that she was hearing MY neighbors in HER apartment!

They would also throw loud parties, and they'd hang out in the hallway. If we asked them to please keep it down, they'd say "You tellin' us what to do?" and start to come at us, so we'd quickly shut and deadbolt the door. If we called the cops, they'd shut up long enough for the cops to leave, and then start up again.

Fortunately, they got evicted. From what I gleaned from the arguement with my landlord (he was standing right outside my bedroom window, yelling up at them), it sounds like they ended up WAY behind on rent.

My new neighbors are much quieter. Sometimes we hear a loud thump, and a dragging across the floor, which is kinda creepy and suspicious, but otherwise they're quiet, so I'm not gonna ask!
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My (downstairs) neighbours try to hide their fighting by covering it up with music. Usually crooning love songs as the most common I hear. It doesn't really work and the music is too loud. Luckily this seems to happen at night, and I work nights and sleep during the day, so I usually just put on my noise cancelling headphones and do something else. Still it's funny they think this works.

On the other hand, when I moved in, I set up my fancy-schmancy 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theatre system and then realized I had to fiddle with all the settings (especially bass) to bring it all down to a shadow of it's capabilities. So as not to annoy the people around me. The subwoofer also sits on a cushion of spare insulation to further muffle it's effect.
              Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                My new neighbors are much quieter. Sometimes we hear a loud thump, and a dragging across the floor, which is kinda creepy and suspicious, but otherwise they're quiet, so I'm not gonna ask!
                You're gonna find a severed hand in the hallway or something

We live in a neighborhood in the more peaceful part of our town, but the neighbors in the house adjacent to us are obnoxious. These people are OBSESSED with their lawn. I mean, they are out there all day and part of the night literally all weekend.

Most of the people in the neighborhood also think they are running a rental lot business (in our RESIDENTIAL neigborhood). They own the lot that their house is on and the lot next to it, which borders our lot (the desk this computer is on sits at a huge window in my room overlooking their second lot). At this moment, I count:

5 cars and pickup trucks
                3 small trailers pulled by trucks and SUVs
                3 small boats
                2 campers (the kind pulled behind a truck or SUV)
                2 ATVs

This wouldn't be so suspicious, but every few days, new vehicles show up and some old vehicles move out.
                When we first moved here, we just assumed that they were wealthy, but we quickly realized that it is rarely the residents moving these vehicles around. The owners/friends/whoever love to rearange the lot, so all of those vehicles get moved around regularly, but not usually taken out.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but it annoys me
                There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

About 2 weeks ago, a new tenant moved into my apartment building. I met her when arriving home about 11:00 on a Friday night. When I pulled my car into the garage, she was in the laundry room doing laundry. She immediately asked me if her doing laundry late at night would bother me, which it doesn't because the laundry room is not under my apartment. But it probably does bother the guy who lives above that room. And he is an ambulance driver who works varying shifts. But she immediately started telling me way too much information about her life. After about 45 minutes, I pried myself away only to have her follow me to my door asking to borrow my iron. Oh, and she told me she is on all kind of pain medication and can't drive and I should take her to Wal Mart sometime... Now she has become obsessed with doing laundry. Anytime you open the door to the laundry room (which is free to use and shared by all of the tenants in the 6 apartments) she has "saved" a place for herself by placing her basket of dirty clothes in there. The door is to be kept locked, and I lock it every morning when I go to the garage to leave for work. She brings her stuff down in empty boxes and then leaves the boxes behind. Every time I go down to do my laundry, I pick up all of the used dryer sheets she leaves all over the floor. And she never cleans out the lint trap on the dryer after using it - and there is a sign over the dryer instructing you to do just that. Last weekend, she was apparently hanging pictures about 3:00 am on Monday morning, as the hammering kept waking me up. I'm really trying not to be a bitch and complain to the landlord, but I'm not sure how long I can be nice.
                  "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Your downstairs neighbors remind me of the jackasses that live next door to an apartment where a couple of my friends live. The very first time i stayed with them, everything was fine until about midnight. Then their neighbors cranked their music. Next night, everything stays relatively quiet, as the jerks seem to be out. Well, my friends and I were up late pretty much doing nothing, 4 am rolls around, and we decide its bedtime. Not 5 minutes after i lay down on the couch and start to channel surf, i hear it. The jerks are home, drunkish, and with drunkish crowd in tow. I figure, maybe they'll all just crash, but OH FUCKING NO. They crank the music. Well, after a few minutes, my friend Erika wakes up, comes downstairs with the fire of hell in her eyes, and goes next door to tell the to shut the fuck up (cuz lets face it, politeness goes out the window at 3 am). Well evidentally, similar partys have been had at their house at all hours, through the weeks. Last i knew, they had so many complaints on them that if they got one more, they would win a shiny, brand new eviction notice. One can only assume that they've since been kicked out.

But seriously, why is it that some people just have no fucking courtesy? Also, who the FUCK starts a party at 4 in the fucking morning? I wanna ship all offenders to a desserted island, and then nuke em back to the fuckin stone age.

Comment

I thought I was going to have to call the police on my next door neighbors yesterday.

I tell ya, this guy is a winner. The way the buildings are set up, his front door is, I would say, 12 feet from mine and they face each other. He moved in in April. Rent is due on the 1st with a a grace period until the 3rd. Well, what do I see on his door around the 7th of May? A 3-day notice. Dude was late on his first months rent.

Then a few days later, there's a basket of stuff sitting on his front stoop and there's a paper blowing around. So I pick it up and it's a note that goes with the stuff. It sounded like a script from a soap opera.

Then we get to yesterday. I knew he had kids, hard to ignore the noise they produce, but seeing as they're only around on the weekend, he obviously doesn't have custody. Well, mom had come with. Apparently there was a disagreement about her coming to pick them up today or not. She's yelling at him that either she's going to get them today or she wasn't leaving yesterday and reminding him that she has full custody. He seemed to be under the impression that since the kids were here, that meant he had custody. There was a lot of threatening of calling the police, calling lawyers, and the f-bomb was dropped....a lot. All of this in front of the kids, none of which are over 10. Just about the time I was getting ready to call the cops, she left.

Seriously, when I go to pay my rent, I'm going to talk to them in the office. I would have gone today, but it was closed because of the holiday. I'm hoping that the fact that I've lived here for 12 years and rarely ever complain about anything tells them how bad it is.

Quoth protege View Post
                      Almost immediately after that, he got drunk at work, lost his job...and they had to move....and the nutjobs (who have the security cameras) moved in
                      I just gotta know. Which one do you prefer?

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                      That's what they said about Jeffrey Dahmer....

Quoth freeatlast View Post
                      And she never cleans out the lint trap on the dryer after using it - and there is a sign over the dryer instructing you to do just that.
                      Why is that so hard for people to do? We've got the same sign in our laundry room, yet almost nobody can be assed enough to take the extra 1 second to clean it out as they're taking their clothes out of the dryer!
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Why is that so hard for people to do? We've got the same sign in our laundry room, yet almost nobody can be assed enough to take the extra 1 second to clean it out as they're taking their clothes out of the dryer!
                        Huh. All the shared laundry rooms I've been in, the sign on the dryers says to empty them before running your clothes. So I've been in the habit of emptying the lint trap before I start up the dryer, rather than after I pull my dry clothes out. Maybe they're used to that system?

But yeah, if there's a sign saying to empty the trap afterward, that makes less sense.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          I just gotta know. Which one do you prefer?
                          It doesn't matter, since I no longer live there

Seriously though, I'd take the drunks over the nuts any day. Why? Well, the drunks don't leave threatening notes on cars in the street, nor do they go around photographing random people for "evidence" to be used later. Plus, even though they were noisy, at least you eventually learn to tune them out...as the entire block did when Jack got pinned by the garage door
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Sterlingbond View Post
                            Also, who the FUCK starts a party at 4 in the fucking morning?
                            This is called the "AFTER PARTY" after the bars have closed, and everybody's gotten food @ either the late night drive through or the 24-hr-breakfast-all-the-time diner, they are no longer tired, and "just wanna hang out", and "maybe listen to some music" - however due to the volume of the club, they are slightly deaf, and music must be cranked to 11 in order to be heard; anybody who's read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" knows, that once everybody gets to designated party house, and turn up the music, then they want to dance, and then they want to drink some more... etc etc etc.

I do not go to after-parties, went to one, once, and walked by the bathroom, and saw something that made me very uncomfortable, as i'm no ok w/ needles or the chemicals that go in them

when i have my birthday party labor-day weekend, these individuals will not be getting invited, if they show, they will be told to leave - i don't play.

and yes i will be informing my neighbors that i'm doing so, and asking if they'll have any objections to cars parked infront of their houses.
                            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth freeatlast View Post
                              Last weekend, she was apparently hanging pictures about 3:00 am on Monday morning, as the hammering kept waking me up. I'm really trying not to be a bitch and complain to the landlord, but I'm not sure how long I can be nice.
                              You're not "being a bitch" by expecting your co-renters to abide by the rules of the place, and the rules of common decency. Someone needs to inform her that her activities are not acceptable, and it's best you let the people in charge of the apartments do it so as to avoid the possibility of retaliation.
                              Quoth Sterlingbond View Post
                              But seriously, why is it that some people just have no fucking courtesy? Also, who the FUCK starts a party at 4 in the fucking morning? I wanna ship all offenders to a desserted island, and then nuke em back to the fuckin stone age.
                              The party started at the bar/club. It just relocated to the apartment after they all got kicked out.

Summer is now in full swing, and the weather is getting hot, so windows are being left open at night, which is reminding me that they guy that lives across the alley from me likes to have his TV on all freaking night with the volume up watching really cheesy 60s and 70s horror and noir detective shows. Way too much bad mood music and screaming for 3am... >.<

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some years back, my upstairs neighbor at the time was a single mom with a 4 and 5 year old kids. The kids bedroom was directly above our bedroom, and they would start playing bounce on the bed and jump off (squeaky, squeaky, squeaky THUD) over and over again at 3in the morning. Sometimes we'd hear Mom yell at the kids to settle down, but that was surprisingly rare. Mostly no parental noises at all that we could hear. Just the kids, jumping on and off the bed. (There was also a long hallway that they loved to run down, but since it was above our similar long hallway and not directly above our bedroom, we could muffle that noise decently enough).

We never ended up calling in a complaint, but apparently someone else did, cause social services showed up one day and took the kids. Turned out momma had been shooting something into her with a needle when that made her pretty much out for the count when the kids were running around the place. Mom got evicted VERY shortly afterwards.

On a different note, I have a couple of friends whose downstairs neighbor called the apartment management on them at MINIMUM once a week for walking across their apartment. (Thin floors,so you could hear upstairs neighbors walk, but it was NOT anything insane like the military gentlemen posted somewhere earlier in this thread,just normal soft movement noises). Managers told my friends that since the same neighbors had half-a million complaints about their last two upstairs neighbors also, the apartment was mostly ignoring them. Apparently the neighbors were only happy when the apartment above them was empty.

Comment

Working...
                                X