This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New methods to beating the "10 items or less" rule

The other day, I was at Publix, buying some antacid and milk, in the express line. An older man was working at it, and right as he started taking me, this woman with about forty items in her cart started coming in. As she brought the cart in, she went from the back, where you normally push it, to the front. Then, she started pulling the cart in with her back to us, completely covering the front to where you could not see her groceries any longer. The cashier, who had also seen this ploy, yelled, "Maam, I'm sorry, but it's ten or less, and you have way more than that!" She first looked startled, then pushed her cart out of the line, and left in a huff, with a pissed off look on her face.

Apparently, this is a new ploy of getting around the "10 items or less" rule, and the cashier even told me he sees this at least twenty times a day. A person will get in front of their cart, then walk backwards into the line while pulling the cart forward, and then by that time, half of their shit is unloaded to where it is too late for the cashier to stop the customer from coming through.

People certainly are clever these days.

When I was a cashier at Wal-Mart I saw people try this tactic far too many times to count. So by the time you realized what they were up to, it was too late to tell them to go to a regular register. Then you'd get a line of people pissed off cause you let them in line at an express register with a shit load of stuff.
    Weekends were the main times they tried this.

Comment

Luckily I've never seen someone do this to get around the ten items or fewer rule. I'll certainly be on the lookout now!

Comment

Um, I went through the 10 items or less line with 12 items. Was that bad?
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It shouldn't matter how much they already have unloaded, if they're trying to go through a "10 items or fewer" with waaaaay more that that, sorry put all your crap back in your cart and bugger off.

Of course, we all know that the powers that be won't let you do that.

That being said -
          Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          I don't think that's bad. You're not really trying to get one over on the checker. I've done it, too. We probably all have.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Oh good, I hate the idea that I was an SC.

I don't suck, I rule.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
              A person will get in front of their cart, then walk backwards into the line while pulling the cart forward, and then by that time, half of their shit is unloaded to where it is too late for the cashier to stop the customer from coming through.
              People actually do that? Just to save time? This makes me for humanity.

I've gone through the express lanes with 11 or 12 items and I've never been told otherwise. I think if you have one or two items over the limit, they won't tell you to go elsewhere.

Any more than that is abusing the system, I think.
              Last edited by Ree; 05-30-2010, 11:57 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote
              There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

nope. If I'm working express, if someone only has one or two items over, I'll still take them.

Comment

Personally, I think that when you get sn SC with waaaaaaaaay too many items, you should ring up the first 10, then have the rest sent back.

Comment

Nope, when I still worked at Big Yank I let people with 11-14 items through the 10 of fewer lane, especially at peak times when the other lines were stretched back to canned goods.

It was the guys with 20 each of 10 different items that drove me nuts.

Comment

you could ask which 10 items they wanted
                      We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Quoth Rebel1012 View Post
                        you could ask which 10 items they wanted
                        I read a story just like that.

At the moment, current company policy for our express lanes is:

15 items max overall.
                        Up to 20 AT OPERATORS DISCRETION.

If the store's setup is prior to the refits they're currently doing, you can take up to 2 baskets (I don't mind doing about 25 at the moment because I'm quick and my coworkers are able to back me up).

So basically, if you play nice, I'll take an extra item.

Oh and I count multiples as multiples. So if you have 10 cans of cat food, I am counting them as 10 cans. We do not have access to the quantity button.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Nah, nothing major. That just gets you Darned to Heck for twenty minutes.

That being said, I don't think I've EVER seen the limit on express lanes actually enforced here. I wish they would >_<
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds familiar. Its probably the same shameless morons who pull all those selfish, tacky stunts.

Like another one of our favorites: When a new register is opening up and the cashier calls for the NEXT customer, the LAST customer jumps off the end of the line and runs to the open cashier.

Never fails to infuriate me.

Comment

Perhaps instead of "10 items" it should be "baskets only". Much easier to tell if someone's being an EW.

Comment

Working...
                              X