This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Feel Bad For This....

Last Friday, bf and I went to the mall for last minute outfits to wear to a wedding Saturday.

We stopped by the movie theater to see if anything good was playing, and we were walking towards the doors to leave when a little boy just out of nowhere ran up by me and tried to grab my shopping bag. Like, not to tug for attention or be annoying like little kids can be, but actually try to grab it away from me.

I tugged it back a little forcefully, and told my bf we needed to get moving quicker.

I then spouted off a little loudly "Now where in the world is the parent to that little shit bag snatcher?"

Bf cleared his throat and looked somewhat embarrassed.

A woman in a wheelchair was rolling after the little boy, shouting at him to get back, and I felt like such an asshole.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Hey now, no need to feel bad about it! Perfectly reasonable reaction to having a kid attempt to abscond with your shopping. I do feel for the woman in the wheelchair, though.

Comment

Oops.

If that were my kid, he'd be in for a world of hurt as soon as I got him home. And kudos to the wheelchair lady for getting on his case.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

The kid was trying to take your bag away from you, so don't feel bad. Just because she was in a wheelchair shouldn't matter.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Why are you feeling bad for the soon to be purse snatcher? And whose to say the parent wasn't in on it? I hate to say it but parents seem to think that just because Jr. is soooo cute and 'he's only 5!' that it's justifiable.

He knew what he was doing and the parent knew what he was doing. Security should have been called to deal with it.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I don't think you should feel bad at all. I'd probably say something similar if I were in the situation.
            There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

i agree; you had every right to be angry-whether or not the parent/caregiver has a disability is irrelevant. bad kids are bad kid, period.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I understand why you felt bad - you were trying to shame someone, and then discovered that they already felt bad, and were doing their best. However, you didn't call the parent any names, just the kid. She was probably thinking similar things herself. No worries.

Comment

Ooohh pfft, I didn't feel bad for the kid at all. He'll be on juvenile probation in a few years.

I just felt so bad for the mom, because she didn't even have a power chair, it was a wheelchair that you had to wheel yourself around in or have someone push you. My feelings of certain parents aside, it has to suck to be disabled and have a wild bag snatching kid to deal with.

Comment

I can see why you would feel bad, but really, don't. Bottom line is that the kid WAS being a little shit.

His mom was probaby thinking he was being a little shit.

I did something kind of similar where I badmouthed a kid that turned out to have Down's. I said something like "Something is wrong with that kid!" Because he was being a little shit. I didn't know and I chose some really unfortunate words. And felt probably like you do. But you didn't call her a name, you called his behavior a name.

It's okay.

Comment

Don't worry Blas.

I'll leave my opinion on the piece of scum, because I'm sure everyone here knows my opinions on thieves, and the very rare times I allow it not to burn me with a fury of hatred, (like the time I caught the two kids stealing food cause drunk daddy wouldn't buy them food and I did).

The mom is likely in for a world of fear for her son, as she may feel helpless to stop it despite what she tries. She may not be on a power chair because its too expensive, and she buying other stuff like medical or food, and maybe, just maybe, junior feels resentful that his friends get stuff that he can't because of his mom being disabled and lack of money (NOT an excuse, but a possibitly!).

Your too caring at times Blas, but that's why we all love ya. There likely isn't much you can do, but hope and pray if yo do that the kid comes out right.

And it's kinda a good thing its a manual chair. Think about it. Once she gets strong enough to move with that, I'd hate to be spanked by those hands of muscle! It could also be a reason that she doing that, just to be physically strong enough to punish son and keep up with him, or maybe planning for the future if she might have to defend her self from him. I hope not.
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I don't see many people still using those manual chairs anymore....the only other time in recent times was when bf and I were smoking outside before a movie and a girl was pushing her bf or some guy in one, and we pushed the button for them that opens the door.

I don't consider myself overly caring, mostly just full of guilt after I say or do a lot of things, especially if I'm proven wrong or otherwise.

Comment

also something else to keep in mind...

it probably wasn't the case for your story but...

just because someone's in a wheelchair does not mean that his or her child *isn't* trying to steal your bag. sometimes it's part of the plan all along.

Comment

I would have told the brat, to his face, to man up and stop taking advantage of his mother. He should be helping her, not making her life harder.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                              I don't see many people still using those manual chairs anymore....the only other time in recent times was when bf and I were smoking outside before a movie and a girl was pushing her bf or some guy in one, and we pushed the button for them that opens the door.
                              well last time I saw one was a tiny one with a maybe 2-3 year old kid in it wheeling himself through the mall with his parents-I had no idea they made them that small. seriously the wheelchair was maybe a foot tall.
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X