Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop trying to injure our cleaning staff!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop trying to injure our cleaning staff!!!!!

Ok, so our cleaning crew is responsible for the trash and recycle (cardboard) bins behind the stores. When they get full, they are collected. Sometimes there's issues with a store putting trash in recycle and visa versa, but it's no big deal to talk to them. THEN there's THIS store, which is actually an eatery. They have a habit of leaving loose trash and other crap for cleaning to pick-up; like trash bags full of fryer oil that by the time are picked-up have leaked everywhere! And lately, more hazardous material... Stuff that, if they were not so lazy, they could properly put into trash bags in 3-seconds!

About a year ago a cleaner was bundling cardboard from behind the eatery when a plastic jug they'd thrown in there fell out and splashed all over his upper body. It had no label, and he got chemical burns. He needed an ambulance and HAZMAT and we had to do a report. Turns out it was industrial strength liquid plumber. He had to go to the hospital, get worker's comp, etc.

3-days ago THE SAME cleaner was collecting their trash when out tumbled another loose jug with unknown liquid. Luckily it didn't splash him this time, but he reported it and the manager quickly spoke to the eatery.

TODAY a different cleaner (one of the best ones we have!) ran to me and showed me his arm was completely coated in a clear gel that was burning him. I rushed him to the storage room and started washing his arm with soap and water; I was so worried about him I didn't even put gloves on myself! He said he was collecting the trash from that same eatery's bins when a loose jug fell-out and poured on his arm. After he was washed I put a hydrocortisone cream on and gave him extra. At this point he didn't want an ambulance. We went back to the bins and I took pictures of the uncapped jug leaking liquid; it was a liquid low ph fire suppressant! I did the report and informed my manager and his manager; both of whom still wanted him to get checked at the hospital. By this time the burning had actually come back. I applied more cream and a loose bandage; I didn't see or feel any irritation. The cleaner said he was still good to work, but they still insisted on him going to the hospital. It's a good thing they did, because shortly after he came back saying the burning was so bad he wanted to rip the skin off his arm! I called the ambulance and made sure that that eatery is SO on our shit list! They are the only eatery in our mall that pulls this crap! I'm almost afraid to eat there now.

I'll update when I know how the cleaner is doing.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Report them to OSHA? That's the kind of stuff that SHOULDN'T be going on! Regardless of the legality of it... What if someone went dumpster diving, and got that stuff on them? Or, what if it spilled on a cleaner that wasn't as nice about it as those guys, and cried for a lawsuit? Who's in charge of making sure these people at this eatery are even following proper cleaning code?
    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Oh wow... please do let us know how the poor cleaner's doing! That is just horrible. How do they NOT care what happens to the people injured due to their laziness?!

Comment

Your cleaners that get injured trying to collect their trash probably do have a good basis for a lawsuit. You have a pattern of well-documented (worker's comp, hospital records, etc) incidents where the restaurant knowingly put harmful and illegal chemicals into their trash in an unsafe manner which has resulted in (major) injuries to people who are legitimately doing their job working with the trash.

Comment

Oh those poor guys seriously, report that eatery to every relevant state department you can think of - health, OSHA etc. they should not have to deal with other people's hazardous rubbish!!!
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I'm almost afraid to eat there now.
            What do you mean "almost"? If they're that casual throwing away HAZMAT, what makes you think they're any more scrupulous handling food?

If I were one of your cleaners, I think I'd be talking to a lawyer, and maybe picketing the place.

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
              Report them to OSHA? That's the kind of stuff that SHOULDN'T be going on! Regardless of the legality of it... What if someone went dumpster diving, and got that stuff on them? Or, what if it spilled on a cleaner that wasn't as nice about it as those guys, and cried for a lawsuit? Who's in charge of making sure these people at this eatery are even following proper cleaning code?
              That's EXACTLY what I told management regarding dumpster diving! As for legality, that will be between the management and the eatery, as they're violating their lease agreement and not following our rules, and also between the cleaning company manager and the eatery, since it's his employees getting injured. I wonder if the cleaner looses pay and has to pay medical bills, if the cleaning company's insurance will sue the eatery's insurance.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

osha and epa; these guys are breaking laws and causing injuries because of their negligent short cutting.

i'd hope that both agencies would levy some serious fines, if not shutting down the place all together.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Sounds like lawsuit city time

Comment

In the USA, it's not just an OSHA issue, it's also an EPA issue...

Comment

The health inspector might also have something to say about all these unlabeled jugs filled with apparently VERY hazardous material. All three (health department, EPA, AND OSHA) have very strict regulations about that sort of thing. And between the three of them, that place isn't going to last very long.
                      We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

Quoth Tsiyeria View Post
                        The health inspector might also have something to say about all these unlabeled jugs filled with apparently VERY hazardous material. All three (health department, EPA, AND OSHA) have very strict regulations about that sort of thing. And between the three of them, that place isn't going to last very long.
                        I think the first time the jug had no label, but they did the next 2-times; good thing since I needed to see how to treat the cleaner! Luckily, the effects mentioned were only skin irritation and to wash with soap and water; my hands were not even irritated at all, but then again they're like scarred leather! It's just the matter of them not properly disposing of them. The sad thing is, this is a popular, upstanding national chain that is SO well known I cannot even hint at it.

I was a little peeved at the cleaning manager because he seemed to be implying to me that the employee got hurt by not doing his job properly (I've mentioned this manager before, he never wants to be responsible for anything, and doesn't even want to do a report about this incident; he told me he'll use MY REPORT!!! No, he won't) No no no, I told him point blank the cleaner did nothing wrong, he was picking-up trash and this jug was in with the bags. Even if he had noticed it as he was grabbing the bags, it might have been too late for him to do anything. If it was a matter of him not wearing gloves, the liquid splashed his upper arms; wouldn't have done him any good. It's not like he got hurt on purpose to get out of work; he insisted on staying until the pain got too bad! Jeesh, I'm beginning to think this manager has some serious conspiracy theory issues!
                        Last edited by LillFilly; 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

sounds like you can name the manager in that lawsuit too...

Comment

Agreed with PepperElf. If the manager isn't going to do diddly-squat, an anonymous tip is in order.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Just so you are aware, for future reference, not all chemicals ought to be washed off with soap and water, and not all of them should be bandaged. If you don't know what the chemical is, call emergency services and let the trained professionals handle it. You actually run the risk of making things worse, if you use the wrong things to remove the chemical and treat the site. Also, I know you were concerned for your cleaner, but ALWAYS take the time to put gloves on. If you are injured in the process of helping someone, all you do is create another patient.

I would definitely report this eatery to the proper officials. Not only are they endangering the cleaners, but they're putting anyone else who may go dumpster diving, as well as any animals in the area, at risk. I can't believe they would be so careless!

Comment

Working...
                              X