This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truthiness in advertising

What do you call an ad that, while correct, has clearly been deliberately designed and placed to intentionally mislead the customer? Er, well, what do you call it other than 'marketing?'
    I was in the mall this morning *shudder* and I saw this poster in the front window of a higher-end women's fashion boutique. I very much doubt they sell anything that starts at less than $250.
    The poster reads:

All
    summer
    dresses

$28

off

And it was placed low enough so that the small print "off" was just at the very edge of the bottom of the window.
    This is an ad guaranteed to bring in selectively-literate self-entitled scs, who are in turn guaranteed to blame, harass and yell at the employees.
    Maybe this post belongs in morons in management, mods please move if appropriate.

(P.S. I'm amused to note that my spellchecker recognizes 'truthiness' as a word.)
    (P.P.S. I'm even more amused to note my spellchecker does not recognize 'spellchecker' as a word.)
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

It appears to me that it's designed to mislead people and pull them in the store, but because everything is stated on the sign it doesn't technically violate the law. It reminds me of a sign I recently saw in a store I was at...

CLEARANCE SALE

up to
    75% OFF

I was standing a distance away and couldn't read the spidery print. When I walked over to the rack and started looking, I could see that almost nothing was anywhere near 75 percent off. But I suppose they could put one item at the 75 percent and only mark everything else down ten percent and not be doing anything illegal, albeit misleading.

Comment

With sales, there's always a catch somewhere and the big bold print is the first thing SC's see in sales signs and ads. Say it with me now: reading is fundamental!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I really think that the sign in the mall store window is intended to mislead. They chose the amount of $28 off for all summer dresses. That, to me, seems like an odd amount to choose. If they are trying to advertise an amount off why didn't they pick $25 or $30? They knew for a fact that that sign would lead people to believe that the dresses are on sale for $28 each.

They are probably also counting on the fact that most of the regular customers that shop there are affluent and have money if it's an upscale expensive store. They will find a dress that they like and then be told at the register that it's actually $28 off. They will decide to just get it anyway since they have lots of money and don't really have to worry about prices. The only people that will walk out are those who wouldn't normally buy something there but went in expecting to get a dress for 28 dollars.

I do wish there was a law against deliberately misleading advertising, but it would be hard to decide what really was misleading. We all know how it is. There are some customers that say anything short of a big neon sign explaining the terms and conditions would be misleading, so no matter what was enforced someone would complain that it's not enough.

But yes, that sign in the store window was very misleading and I, too, feel bad for the salespeople that work at that store. If I worked there I would probably be tempted to say something to every customer I could catch right as they walked into the store. Something like, "Just to let you know, you can save $28 on all summer dresses today."

Nip that right in the bud when they walk in. Don't let them spend time trying stuff on and looking around only to be surprised at the register.

Comment

...Take that Darkspawn fear my sward of Truthiness!

...That is all I could think about when I saw your title...
          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
          -Red

Comment

Bait? Lure 'em in, get 'em on the hook, watch them struggle...
            Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
              ...Take that Darkspawn fear my sward of Truthiness!

...That is all I could think about when I saw your title...

YES!!!!

Me too.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post
                I do wish there was a law against deliberately misleading advertising, but it would be hard to decide what really was misleading. We all know how it is. There are some customers that say anything short of a big neon sign explaining the terms and conditions would be misleading, so no matter what was enforced someone would complain that it's not enough.
                Because no one reads, and because several people have successfully argued in court that they should not be held to the terms and conditions of the contract they signed because "no one reads them anyway," I predict that very soon every place of business will be required to have a lawyer at the door explaining the terms.

And very shortly after that, because no one will listen, everyone will have to have thier own lawyer to follow them around and negotiate with the stores lawyer.
                Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I actually laughed when I got a mail offer from a competing cable company printed in big letters.....

CABLE PHONE INTERNET

20 DOLLARS A MONTH!!!!!!

Tons of fine print below of course.

Comment

The tiny print reminded me of a clothing store near me that used to have abso-freaking-lutly huge signs that they would alternate every 2 weeks:
                    "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE!!!!"

and

"not GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE!!!!"

They did that for three freaking years.
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

The magazine ad I got tripped up on read:

"GOING OUT FOR BUSINESS SALE."

Unfortunately, that hobby dealer did go out of business a few years later.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

We get that in the hotel industry a lot... we have ads that say "rates starting at $59, terms, conditions, and limitations apply"
                        Then of course when someone walks in during the largest convention of the year and finds out all we have left is the jacuzzi suite which for that night we are selling for $199 gets irate over false advertizing...
                        Umm, no, you see that bit about terms and conditions apply, if you look up the terms and conditions on the website provided you will notice that offer not valid on holidays and citywide conventions, only valid on standard rooms, and must be booked at least two weeks in advance... none of those three conditions are met.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Oh, my god,this reminds me on the new "+ Rewards" on Aid of Rite's "healthiness +" card. A brand of cereal is on sale this week, 2/$5, then it says, "With reward coupon, -1.00", and then in big, bold letters, "2/$4." The problem is that they only receive the reward coupon for the next time they purchase the cereal, so they have to pay the 2/$5 price now, and then get the cereal 2/$4 next time. Aid of Rite can normally do a thing where if you bring in a coupon you forgot to use and the receipt for the stuff you purchased, we can give you your money back for that coupon; however, it doesn't work for those rewards coupons.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I HATE THE HEALTHINESS + CARD.
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                            I said it before, and I'll say it again. I HATE THE HEALTHINESS STEALTHINESS + CARD.
                            there, fixed that for ya
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              YES!!!!

Me too.
                              Oh thank god I was not alone! I was starting to feel pretty sad about my life... when all I could think of was a video game reference.
                              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                              -Red

Comment

Working...
                              X